Concert CD player for Jan 2001 A2

laurie18

Apologies as I know this is going over old ground but all new to me. I would like to fit an OE Concert CD player to my Jan 2001 A2 but I am confused by what I have read about Can-Bus.
If I understand correctly my car does not have Can-bus but the CD players will be from later, post 2002 cars and will be designed to work with Can-Bus?
Were CD players an option in 2000/2001? If so how would I tell these from later items.
I assumed all single DIN head units were the same size but it sounds like the Concert unit for an A2 is a different size to A4 and A6 units?

Hello,

The link below suggests that you can use a concert 1 radio that would have a CD player. Note the somewhat different appearance of the Concert 1 and Concert 2.

There might be something one can do with a CAN-BUS emulator to be able to use a more common Concert 2 head unit.

Single DIN head units are the same height across the different cars but have different widths, the internal electronics are identical though so if you get hold of a broken A2 one you can simply replace the fascia on a non-A2 one.

I'm by no means am expert though so hopefully someone else will be along to advise shortly!

OK, we're going to talk only about single-DIN stereos as it appears you have a single-DIN dash...

Generation 1 stereos include...
  • Chorus 1 (tape deck, without ability to run an external device e.g. CD changer, aux-in, Bluetooth, etc)
  • Concert 1 (tape deck, with the ability to run an external device e.g. CD changer, aux-in, Bluetooth, etc)
It was not possible to get a single-DIN CD player as a Generation 1 stereo.

Generation 2 stereos include...
  • Chorus 2 (tape deck, with the ability to run an external device e.g. CD changer, aux-in, Bluetooth, etc)
  • Concert 2 (CD player, with the ability to run an external device e.g. CD changer, aux-in, Bluetooth, etc)
-----------------

2001 A2s are only able to natively support a Generation 1 stereo. As such, you cannot just fit a single-DIN CD player. This is because 2001 A2s don't have the ability to talk to Generation 2 stereo (due to the lack of CAN bus). However, I have installed Generation 2 stereos in many, many 2001 A2s by expanding the CAN bus system. It's a much more elegant way of installing a Generation 2 stereo in an early A2 than using an emulator, and it's cheaper.

Cheers,

Tom

Just about to install a Concert 2 in a 2001 A2. It works fine, but noticed sofar:

1) it powers on regardless ignition key switched on or off -> probably a small battery drain when car is parked. Should in practice not be a big deal
2) rear door speakers do not play yet; need to check if they are really there
3) guess illumination adjustment does not work, but hey who cares

Again that sounds CanBus issues to me, doubt you have radio info on dash either. @timmus will correct me if I am wrong.

Tom is there a ready made from Audi Canbus extension cable or only your expert addition?

No; do not have full display with info in dash. The FM radio does not even work in Norway; it is just to make it look original (I will install a line in so I can stream radio and Spotify)

@Olerype Looks like a lot of trouble to have something only LOOK factory with very little functionality. Normally I am all for original especially when it comes to stereos, but in this case I can definately see the benefits of fitting a more modern double din DAB blue tooth etc unit.

This is a 30kmiles car I would like to keep stock; thus the Concert (that was for free)

Streaming radio is better than DAB due to poor reception, and by streaming you can stop, start etc

Thanks to all for the replies, sounds like buying a newer A2 will be the easiest option!

Timmus - 'I have installed Generation 2 stereos in many, many 2001 A2s by expanding the CAN bus system'
I have never encountered a car with these CAN bus issues. Is it possible to explain briefly what is involved in expanding the CAN bus system, is it something I could do myself?

Is it possible to explain briefly what is involved in expanding the CAN bus system, is it something I could do myself?

2001-and-earlier A2s are often described as being 'pre-CAN'. This is something of a misnomer, because all A2s have at least two CAN bus systems. What's missing on the earlier cars is a branch of one of those CAN bus systems. You need to make a custom wiring loom, splice it into the car's existing wiring, make a few pin arrangement alternations and tweak a few software setings. If this is in your arsenal of skills, then you'll be able to do it. If not, I'm happy to do it for you.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom, that all sounds a bit beyond my capabilities. I think that I will try a wired or Bluetooth cassette adaptor first. Both seem to get mixed reviews but if the Bluetooth unit gives reasonable results that would give me the ability to play large selection music from my phone and keep the OE head unit.

I think that I will try a wired or Bluetooth cassette adaptor first. Both seem to get mixed reviews but if the Bluetooth unit gives reasonable results that would give me the ability to play large selection music from my phone and keep the OE head unit.
It's probably a decent interim solution, though be aware that the lifespan of your Generation 1 stereo is limited. A fault in their electronics means that the volume can only be adjusted 10,000 times. Once you've made the 10,000th change, the volume will be either zero or maximum, with no intermediate volumes available.
It could be that the previous owner(s) of your car barely used the stereo and that you've still got a majority of its lifespan left. Equally, though, it could be that the volume has already been changed 9847 times and that you're on the home straight towards its death. The fault can be fixed, though that's likely to cost you more than the upgrade to a Generation 2 stereo.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,
Thanks. To be honest it is all going to be a bit of a compromise. This will be my first A2 and I am trying get things set up close to how I had them in my previous TDi Beetles. These had been 2002 or 2003 vehicles and either had the six disc changer or I could plug an interface module in to the changer socket on the rear of the head unit, and access the music on my phone. Both set ups gave what I considered to be pretty decent sound from the factory installed kit. So far the radio reception and sound quality (I only have front speakers) have been quite disappointing in the A2. If things work out I would like to relegate the A2 to second car/occasional use. In that case it would be good to go for some of the desirable upgrades such as Bose sound and leather interior. Even second hand the Bose kit still seems very expensive. Apart from the fact that it is tailor made for the A2 does the sound quality justify the price. Does the Concert CD player have changer controls/input?

I have not really made much progress with the audio in the A2 as mechanical repairs have taken up any spare cash so far. I had been using a cheap cassette adapter to play music from my phone. When the cable started to break up and sound would not play out of both speakers I looked around for a replacement. After reading some online reviews I managed to find a used Monster iCarPlay Cassette Adapter on eBay UK, one of the recommended products. It gives significantly better sound than I was expecting. I think this is a US product but they are available on Amazon. In my opinion well worth tracking one down at around £20 new.

Apologies as I know this is going over old ground but all new to me. I would like to fit an OE Concert CD player to my Jan 2001 A2 but I am confused by what I have read about Can-Bus.
If I understand correctly my car does not have Can-bus but the CD players will be from later, post 2002 cars and will be designed to work with Can-Bus?
Were CD players an option in 2000/2001? If so how would I tell these from later items.
I assumed all single DIN head units were the same size but it sounds like the Concert unit for an A2 is a different size to A4 and A6 units?
Find a Concert 1, and a Bluetooth adapter (AnyCarLink 1080-B for me).
Phone then handles your music (no need for a CD Changer, try Poweramo app), stream radio (UK Radioplayer app) , Spotify etc, and Sat Nav (Waze for me). Depending on the BT adapter you go for, hands free calls too. When using BT, Sat Nav announcements will override streaming, as will incoming phone calls.
Decent Concert 1 and BT adapter around £100. Plug and Play too.
Works for me
Mac.

Find a Concert 1, and a Bluetooth adapter (AnyCarLink 1080-B for me).
Phone then handles your music (no need for a CD Changer, try Poweramo app), stream radio (UK Radioplayer app) , Spotify etc, and Sat Nav (Waze for me). Depending on the BT adapter you go for, hands free calls too. When using BT, Sat Nav announcements will override streaming, as will incoming phone calls.
Decent Concert 1 and BT adapter around £100. Plug and Play too.
Works for me
Mac.

Mac, thanks. that was the original plan but I can't find a decent A2 Concert 1 at the moment. Am I right in thinking the fascia of a TT, A2 or A4 Concert 1 has slightly different dimensions and won't fit without trimming?

Mac, thanks. that was the original plan but I can't find a decent A2 Concert 1 at the moment. Am I right in thinking the fascia of a TT, A2 or A4 Concert 1 has slightly different dimensions and won't fit without trimming?
An A2 Concert 1 will fit an A2 without trimming! ? - Andy

To be a little more helpful, I am led to believe by those who know (not me) that the only facias dimensionally compatible with our A2's are TT Mk1 and A6 B5(?), although not 100% I am rembering this correctly. Anything else will require trimming or maybe insert strips.

Andy

Back