Today I.....

Swapped the leads and sparks between cylinder 1 and 2. Misfire disappeared , but runs badly with an injector fault on cylinder 1 still. Hmmmmm

Worst corrosion seem to be on the top of the arms so maybe inspect here first to properly evaluate them!

What grade oil did you use, any improvement in driving?
Had a look and one is marginally worse than the other, that said it seemed more surface corrosion. I’ll inspect again another day with the wheels off to check properly, time got away from me today.

Oil is genuine Audi gearbox oil, I haven't done a prolonged drive but feels a bit smoother, not a massive gain, probably as the car had only done 27k miles on the old oil. Happy it’s changed though.

@Jeetesh , I am no expert but i think it could be worthwhile to knock hard with a screwdriver or similar on the rear end of your wishbones to see if you get a solid response. They are tricky, most rot are from i side rather than outside. And check both upside and downside.
Okay, something to check the next time I jack it up to make sure they are not badly corroded from the inside.

Factory tyre size on 1.4 petrol with se wheels was it 185 50 16 ?...? what did they come out of the showroom with .
Yes.

I’ve been looking and the tyres are not that cheap anymore as they are not such a common size. Continentals still available and a number of budget brands. I asked previously and I’m probably looking to change to 195/45 R16 Goodyear EfficientGrip as I want a slightly wider contact patch and I rate the tyres (VW Up GTI use them). I find that I’m sometimes scrambling for grip on loose/damp surfaces if I need to pull away quickly in my FSI. I don’t however want to go wider and impact economy.

Last edited:
There was a zip tie connecting the thermostat housing to the wiring loom. Am not looking forward to putting this back together. I must admit I did not disconnect the driveshaft. Looks like the shoulder of the death pipe is missing along with the o-ring. Going to have to fish that out somehow.
... removed the oil separator breather to improve access. I managed to locate the rubber and shoulder with my fingers but think I pushed some of the plastic in further. I hope I don't have to remove the water pump.

Had a look and one is marginally worse than the other, that said it seemed more surface corrosion. I’ll inspect again another day with the wheels off to check properly, time got away from me today.

Oil is genuine Audi gearbox oil, I haven't done a prolonged drive but feels a bit smoother, not a massive gain, probably as the car had only done 27k miles on the old oil. Happy it’s changed though.
Had chance to drive a few times and changes feel marginally smoother ~5-10% (minimal) whether cold or hot however when it’s cold it does seem to be smoother at very low revs. I’m not sure if this the placebo effect or the fact that it’s had a recent service and now gearbox oil change and collectively everything is smoother.

Yes.

I’ve been looking and the tyres are not that cheap anymore as they are not such a common size. Continentals still available and a number of budget brands. I asked previously and I’m probably looking to change to 195/45 R16 Goodyear EfficientGrip as I want a slightly wider contact patch and I rate the tyres (VW Up GTI use them). I find that I’m sometimes scrambling for grip on loose/damp surfaces if I need to pull away quickly in my FSI. I don’t however want to go wider and impact economy.
How about the dunlop blue efficiency range OR the Toyo nano versions
I run these on other cars
and after 3 years still happy with them

How about the dunlop blue efficiency range OR the Toyo nano versions
I run these on other cars
and after 3 years still happy with them
What size are you running the Dunlop/Toyo’s? Dunlop and Goodyear are effectively the same company (I think) based on my dealings with them so can imagine that they’ll be broadly the same.

If I didnt have a manufacturing fault on my Goodyear’s x2, I reckon I could have got got 45k+ miles on rears on my merc and due to the fault they partially refunded me so I’m a bit of a fan of GoodyearDunlop. It helps that the tyres I are brilliant too.

185.65.15s
165.65.15s

185.55.16s
195.55.16s
From memory which is a little frazzled as I wake at 0400 every morning due to PLEASANT neighbours dog

185.65.15s
165.65.15s

185.55.16s
195.55.16s
From memory which is a little frazzled as I wake at 0400 every morning due to PLEASANT neighbours dog
Thanks for that I’ll look into them. All 4 tyres have 4mm on them so I have a bit of time before they need changing and gives me a bit of time to research.

Today i have fitted my front flexi hoses which were in a sorry state but not obvious to spot!
Also fitted my trw track rod ends and did a brake fluid change.

Using a Hella Guttman diagnostic tool i coded my two second hand remote fobs to the car so wonderfully easy!! now have 3 working genuine remotes, well happy!

Ah, now I understand, that said bit of Autoglym upholstery cleaner could sort the seats, belts carpets, etc out, Barney’s past could then be washed away.

Mabel sounds like the prize possession, easy to understand why the nicer one gets the attention. Kind of sounds like how I’ve treated past girlfriends, seemingly spent more on the ones I like more.......?

@Jeetesh since you mention autoglym, do you recommend any particular autoglym products for cleaning the interior and exterior?

I need to give my TDI a good clean before I take the photos for sale and had a look on the shelves the other day and there were more autoglym variants than sweets in a candy shop ?

Since you mention autoglym, do you recommend any particular autoglym products for cleaning the interior and exterior?

I can recommend Autoglym foaming interior shampoo in the big aerosol spray can, but you will need two to do a set of seats properly all over, and probably another one for the doorcards and carpets. As an alternative, the Ambersil Auto Groom one with the orange lid is about two thirds the price and very good with it. It tends to sell out quickly when my local Halfords gets it, which speaks volumes.

Back