Today I.....

Thanks for advice. As said above the tyres' are not a very good brand even though there is good tread remaining i don't think it's worth the risk. But as i have now decided to have the 4 fully refurbished i will ask the tyre bay to thoroughly inspect them when they are removed.

....continued with the refit of my interior.
Door cards have already been changed a few months ago (they were as rotten as a pear, the car had basically been standing for 2 years and possibly had a leaking OSS), as was the glovebox and the panel under the steering wheel, plus 3 out of 4 of the trims round the doors.
Today I removed the interior, including the headliner which I’m going to re-cover tomorrow and all the rear trim is being replaced courtesy of @Clackers
Why bother changing all the plastics you may ask? The car originally had a grey interior. Now it’s going black.

5EF9156F-FD52-4778-A4C3-6C20F1E2E3CD.jpeg

More paint correction and scratch removal and another 4 coats of wax!! Happy with how far Its
come with this with very little spent I think I’ve caught the project bug as this car was only bought to run into the ground as it was very tatty

b0a267fdda63bd1c8b44de29de041717.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More paint correction and scratch removal and another 4 coats of wax!! Happy with how far Its
come with this with very little spent I think I’ve caught the project bug as this car was only bought to run into the ground as it was very tatty

Nice work...very nice!

I thought it was a scratch in the paintwork and then realised it was the reflection of the aerial pole ?. Great work!

Wow that looks great...what machine you using and is this the first go at correction and polishing???

Thanks for advice. As said above the tyres' are not a very good brand even though there is good tread remaining i don't think it's worth the risk. But as i have now decided to have the 4 fully refurbished i will ask the tyre bay to thoroughly inspect them when they are removed.

Not worth the risk Steve as you say - if they were 8 or 9 years old and you could guarantee they had spent half / more than half of that being stored in ideal conditions then I’d say fine - in this case there’s no way their performance won’t have degraded at that age either way, why risk it for the sake of 250 quid on such a safety critical item ?

I totally agree, they are so light !!! I nearly hit myself in the face with one the first time I lifted a pepperpot wheel.

I have fitted them to an occasional A2 in the past (which is unusual for someone who prefers 17" plus wheels.)

the weight difference between a pepperpot and a 9 spoke 17" is HUGE !!!!

Steve B
Does anyone have any actual weight measurements? I have the 17s and they are rather scuffed and quite like the idea of using 15s if they are improve the ride.

Today I received my KKL VCDS cable from Gendan ...

I installed the drivers from Gendan's website and the VCDS Lite software from Ross-Tech onto a second hand Asus Netbook that I bought a while ago for this purpose and followed the idiot proof instructions.
Unregistered at the minute but will upgrade to the licensed version very soon, now that I know it works ....

Started the scan and was pleasantly surprised, although the shareware version is limited, it went through each screen and it came up with two faults.
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, Right Rear (G44)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

00290 - As above - Left Wheel (G46)

Not sure if the licensed version checks for more faults but not a bad reading for an eighteen year old car. Well chuffed!!

All the best ... Tom

Today I received my KKL VCDS cable from Gendan ...

I installed the drivers from Gendan's website and the VCDS Lite software from Ross-Tech onto a second hand Asus Netbook that I bought a while ago for this purpose and followed the idiot proof instructions.
Unregistered at the minute but will upgrade to the licensed version very soon, now that I know it works ....

Started the scan and was pleasantly surprised, although the shareware version is limited, it went through each screen and it came up with two faults.
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, Right Rear (G44)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

00290 - As above - Left Wheel (G46)

Not sure if the licensed version checks for more faults but not a bad reading for an eighteen year old car. Well chuffed!!

All the best ... Tom
You may find that these disappear when cleared. The error codes are only removed after you (or a previous owner) has cleared them. So these could be from something that has since been corrected.
A first scan of a car can sometimes be a shock, depending on when the error codes were last cleared.

VCDS is a nice tool to have.
Steve B

You may find that these disappear when cleared. The error codes are only removed after you (or a previous owner) has cleared them. So these could be from something that has since been corrected.
A first scan of a car can sometimes be a shock, depending on when the error codes were last cleared.

VCDS is a nice tool to have.
Steve B

Hi Steve and thanks for commenting ... good idea, I will clear the faults and rescan ... I don't think the ABS has ever been touched and I don't recall having any work done as I've owned the car from new ... but looking forward to seeing where the problem lies and putting it right. Bit of a dilemma now on which VCDS version to buy ... I also have a Skoda Citigo and don't believe the 'Lite' version is compatible.
All the best ... Tom

Decisions, decisions?

See how you get in with it, I went for the 10 VIN one and then upgraded to unlimited VINs.
You can always find someone that needs a VCDS scan or basic configuration change. Very satisfying when you can help!
Steve B

Decisions, decisions?

See how you get in with it, I went for the 10 VIN one and then upgraded to unlimited VINs.
You can always find someone that needs a VCDS scan or basic configuration change. Very satisfying when you can help!
Steve B
Cheers Steve ... will give it some thought ... would like to do the Skoda as well.

Does anyone have any actual weight measurements? I have the 17s and they are rather scuffed and quite like the idea of using 15s if they are improve the ride.
there's a set of weights listed over on the German site (if not on the wiki). around 18-20 kg for the sport wheels with 205/40R17. I'd expect around 14-15kg for 185/60R15 on pepperpots. They're cheap and light.

- Bret

Back