Chat A2 pepper pots on a vw fox?

Vw_ben

Huge fan of the A2 pepper pots
I'd love to put a set under my fox.
I found a set near me, is it a good deal?

The rims are 150€ sanded and prepped for paint

What are your opinions on putting these rims on a fox?

What is it like to own these wheels?

What colour would you paint them to suit the car? I was thinking a dark metallic grey
Screenshot_2021-01-26-15-42-27-417_com.distilledmedia.adverts.jpg
picture.jpeg
IMG_20210125_013501.jpg

the only caveat I was wondering - does the Fox use 5x100 wheel bolts or 4x100? I know for the VW small platform cars in that 10 year period or so flanking the Fox production cycle, the Lupo/Arosa seems to be 4x100, and the subsequent Up/Citigo is 4x100 so I would check before committing to A2 wheels which are 5x100 (and the offset would need to be checked as well). Obviously 3L 1.2Tdi uses 4x100, but I would imagine the wheels for those are somewhat rarer than rocking-horse droppings (and aren't Pepperpots anyway).

Secondly - I don't know what the market is like in Ireland, but for 4 wheels 'sanded and prepped for paint' - which to all intents and purposes means post-wrecked (in my book) and not yet painted - 150Euro sounds quite a strong price, since I'd expect to have to pay at least another 40-50quid per rim for the paint job (including the pre-cleaning & prep process according to a mate in the trade - so having them pre-prepped is pointless). Within A2oc there have been 16"SE rims sold at £10-20 each perfectly usable for everyday or winter rims.

Last edited:
You're right about the fitment on those smaller VW's, arosa/lupo platform is 4x100, same as the up/Mii/citigo platform. But foxs seem to be the outlier here, it's the same hub as fabias, polos, Ibizas and early MK4 golfs (5x100)

The bore size is 57.1mms for that hub, I'm unsure of the bore size on A2's. The only other thing that I can think of is the offset, I have 14" 5j steel wheels, they have an offset of 35mm, to the best if my knowledge the A2 pepper pots are 38mm offset, I can't see it being that big a problem

The biggest factory alloys for a fox were 15" 6j 5x100, so I think they should just bolt on to the hub

I'm reasonably certain the bore on the A2 is also 57mm and change so no issue there - bog-standard VAG. Offsets are also in that 34-39mm ballpark depending on the exact rim so again you should be fine.

I don't have Pepperpots myself although I do know they are popular with the 'lowest weight oem rims on an A2' contingent - mine are all A2 SE 16"x 6J rims with 34mm offset (from memory) barring a set of 15" steel winters for one car.

Appreciate the link they both seem to be b14x1,50

It seems like A2 shares the same hub as polo, fabia, etc.

A2's off that website have an innpress of 38mm
Polos & fox (05-on) are 43mm, not sure how this would effect the fitment, my steel rims have an off set of 35mm, the seller is saying the off set of the pepper pots is 38mm.

If you want some new cheap aftermarket hubcaps without a logo for the Pepperpots I have seen these on ebay, although I don't know for sure if they will fit the Pepperpots.

Maybe someone could confirm if they will fit the pepperpots?

Apparently they are 165mm outside diameter by 137mm rim hole diameter (where it clips onto the wheel). The seller has a useful chart with lots of different hubcap models. There doesn't seem to be another model close to these 165mm x 137mm dimensions.

1611693861610.png

Last edited:
Back