Today I.....

So today , or rather Sunday

I had the pleasure of meeting @timmus once again for the installation of heated seat wiring looms

It was a joy to see the master at work , on what was a bitterly cold day . Watching Tom remove the bulk of the cars interior, in next to no time , without the nasty sound off breaking plastic trim clips was a joy !

Tom , as always was a true expert , happy to share his knowledge, and skills while I watched him work .

As expected , it all went together and worked perfectly, I am now very close to completing my dream spec car !

.... Fitted a Garmin satnav into my dash...

1611760358150.jpeg

Do not personally like the rsn-e unit as it sits too low in the dash. Bit of finishing off to do on the surround but happy with the install.

View attachment 75659
Do not personally like the rsn-e unit as it sits too low in the dash. Bit of finishing off to do on the surround but happy with the install.
I get the point that RNS-e is set too low in the dash and where you’ve placed the Garmin is indeed the ideal location for a screen, my only real point to note is that you’ve obscured the central vents which will presumably make the climate over/under compensate, not to mention no air from the centre?

I used a vent cradle to essentially mount in the same place. And when my phone is not on it, the vent is usable.

This is clearly personal preference but it might have saved a bit of work.

View attachment 75659
? I could never hack my car like this... I just use a phone cradle and my iPhone for sat nav... i am ‘one of those’ that likes to keep it as it was built (mainly)

Today I got a ballpark quote for the complete colour change of my existing leather sports seats, from swing grey to platinum (EC3 I believe is the code) - it will come in at between £7-800 including removal and installation from the car plus plastic painting using the Volico paint, plus any minor rejuvenation / repairs as needed so that I’ll end up with a set of brand new seats in appearance.

This was about what I was expecting and hence was encouraging that this was the first quote. Hence to be honest, unless a set of heated sports leathers or leather & alcantaras turn up in near-perfect condition for significantly less, this is probably the way I’ll go.

Each to there own. Your car is either totally original or has had some modifications or upgrades. So when someone else does something that is up to them. I absolutely hate phone cradles. This modification is done on a panel that can be swapped back to another panel leaving the car original. There was no hacking done. It is far more secure and looks more OEM than a cradle. Just add I have never used the center vents and have always been closed off. This has no effeect on the climate.

Each to there own. Your car is either totally original or has had some modifications or upgrades. So when someone else does something that is up to them. I absolutely hate phone cradles. This modification is done on a panel that can be swapped back to another panel leaving the car original. There was no hacking done. It is far more secure and looks more OEM than a cradle.
Please Don’t get me wrong as I didn’t mean to be offensive in any way. When I said hack I should’ve said ‘modified’. I am a Welshman after all... ?

I know you are and only about 8 miles away from me. No offense taken. The center vents were removed by cutting them out and the Garmin fitted into the space using rubber channel. Not keen on satnav in the windscreen and to big for a cradle anyway. It is now in a position I am used to having satnav and it can be removed from the car if parked somewhere dodgy or to update it.

Today I got a ballpark quote for the complete colour change of my existing leather sports seats, from swing grey to platinum (EC3 I believe is the code) - it will come in at between £7-800 including removal and installation from the car plus plastic painting using the Volico paint, plus any minor rejuvenation / repairs as needed so that I’ll end up with a set of brand new seats in appearance.

This was about what I was expecting and hence was encouraging that this was the first quote. Hence to be honest, unless a set of heated sports leathers or leather & alcantaras turn up in near-perfect condition for significantly less, this is probably the way I’ll go.
Could I ask which company you have had a quote from? I have a pair of TT seats that are a different shade to my Red leather interior.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Could I ask which company you have had a quote from? I have a pair of TT seats that are a different shade to my Red leather interior.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
They’re called Smiffy’s- Andy Smith, located just outside Honiton, so very local for me and not a million miles from you in (I think) Gloucestershire? If you PM me I can share the details.

Each to there own. Your car is either totally original or has had some modifications or upgrades. So when someone else does something that is up to them. I absolutely hate phone cradles. This modification is done on a panel that can be swapped back to another panel leaving the car original. There was no hacking done. It is far more secure and looks more OEM than a cradle. Just add I have never used the center vents and have always been closed off. This has no effeect on the climate.
Agreed, every car is personal to their owner and your right on a panel that can be swapped out ?.

The phone cradle for me was perplexing as I wanted a screen at that level but couldn’t really work out any solutions that worked for me. I rarely use the satnav so a vent mounted cradle was my occasional solution.

If money was no object then I’d like a screen that raises electronically out of the dash like in the older A6 and is hidden from view when not in use. The only place it could come out from is where the cup holders are but then I’d loose my cup holders and can imagine it would be a nightmare to engineer.

But it would be worth keeping a lookout for a knackered set of Platinum Sport seats anyway, to rob the lumbar mechs, wiring and all the plastics from. This could save you as much or more than they cost, as the plastics will fit your leather SE seats too, including the airbags and rear nets - and you'd need the lower trims with the lumbar buttons in anyway.

@Jeetesh ref a folding screen. There are some single din stereos (aftermarket) that feature a pop up screen. Exactly what functions are available with these units I do not know and will not work on DIS and probably not much use with Bose either.

something like this

1611776136645.png

Back