New Member (1.4TDi)

Greetings,

I have been a member for a couple of weeks, since acquiring a 2004 Mauritius Blue Audi A2 1.4Tdi SE, primarily for my son to learn to drive in. I haven't included a picture since I guess this audience knows the car, the colour and the model better than I do.

This car takes my current fleet count to 4 Audis, 1 VW, 2 Triumphs and a 1981 Suzuki Katana (bike).

The car has been close to the family since it was bought by my best man in 2007, however since then it has been through the hands of both of his daughters and is now fairly tired, so although the engine has only done a mere 188K miles, there are various trim panels that look more like they are on their second lap to the sun and back!

Fortunately, the car has been well serviced all its life as my friend is the account and I run the IT for a garage whose owner spent 20 years as head mechanic in our local VW/Audi dealership (remember the days when a stealer could hold both Audi and VW?), so that means that the faults and issues are mainly niggles or trim related but the basic car drives very well.

So far, I have: -
  • Run VCDS to see what it is unhappy about (only a couple have come back since resetting)
  • Bought an exchange door check strap from Mr Depronman - not yet fitted
  • Fixed the drooping sun visor (took it apart and worked out why it drooped and how to fix)
  • 3D printed a new handbrake button
  • Fixed driver's air vent (all the slats were knocked out but it went back together)
  • Fixed v68 motor so now have hot air (Thanks to Depronman for the pointer)
  • Fixed tailgate release which was hanging down on the wires (replaced the snapped plastic retaining tabs with some spring steel)
  • Bought and fitted a hard touch headlight switch (fitted thanks to posts on here)
  • Bought (not fitted as it is for a single din car) a hard touch climate control panel (cannot decide whether to sell, cut or strip for the buttons)
I had great fun trying to remove the climate control panel...NOT!. I am 83Kg and really quite strong but my entire body weight was not enough to shift it no matter how I positioned my grip and braced my body. I am an ex rock climber and still go chin-ups regularly but I just could not deliver the force required through my fingers to the small area on the rear of the unit that I figured could take it, so 10-15 minutes were spent just staring into the recess where the double Din stereo sits and thinking about all the tools I own that could fit in the hole. Finally I figured out how to apply more leverage and reduce the force on those ridiculous clips and out it popped. Hopefully when I find the correct rounded version it will not take as long to extract a second time!

Still to fix: -
  • Dash sometimes shows DEF in trip so probably a memory module error
  • B pillar alarm ultrasonic button stuck pushed in
  • keyfob unlock microswitch has fallen off PCB
  • Make aluminium handbrake button (not economical in terms of time but worth a try)
  • Find a better way to attach magnetic L-plates to an aluminium car (currently string on front and tape on the rear)
  • Work out what cleaner to use on the interior as none of mine seem to work on the A2 yet are fabulous on all the other cars
I am based in Cambridge and have a licensed VCDS but I have zero A2 VCDS knowledge so if there are any locals who have good A2 knowledge and need access to a VCDS dongle, that would be helpful. I am especially interested in what features Audi UK chose not to enable as my A5 had many hidden features which are now in daily use.

In the mean time, I am trawling through the fabulous collection of informative threads on here trying to learn about the model and its niggles. It looks like a great forum but my only complaint is that the search function seems to be useless, so I am using Google and simply prefixing my search with A2OC - is that really the best method or am I an idiot? (the answer to that is yes btw)

Cheers
Simon

Last edited:
Hi Simon and welcome aboard :)

You are sadly on exactly the right track with searching through Google. The forum search tool doesn't bother with anything shorter than four letters.

Please do post pictures though ... yes, we all know what they look like but that doesn't mean that we ever tire of seeing good pics of them! ? Mauritius Blue is a lovely colour too, go ahead and show it off :)

If I can recommend an all-in-one interior cleaner for plastics and upholstery it would be Ambersil Auto Groom, you'll find it in Halfords with the orange lid but it does tend to sell out quickly. Elbow Grease or Star Drops from the supermarkets are known to work well on the plastics too.

Thank you Proghound,

I'll post a picture in a couple of days when the car is cleaner as it has sat for the winter waiting for no.1 son's 17th birthday, so it needs a good clean and has algae on the rubbers etc.

I am a big fan of Groom and keep a can in every car but not for interiors - I use it mainly on the windscreen in the summer when the screen is thick with insects after a long journey. Groom being designed to remove oils and grease from the interior does a great job on sun dried insects on windows and headlights.

I was therefore surprised that it did little with what feels (to a life-long Audi owner) to be the strangest plastic that Audi has ever made. Maybe just more elbow grease is required but I didn't want to go too hard in case this strange plastic has a coating or top layer that can be worn away like the soft touch buttons. I'll have another go.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited:
I mainly used 'Groom on the upholstery it's true, but it did lift dirt out of my door armrests and sill trims too. Thanks for the tip for the insects though, that had never occurred to me ?. For the painted plastic parts (the dreaded 'soft touch') I've also used Vanish Oxi Action diluted 1:1 with water with success, but that was by removing the parts from the car, painting it on, leaving it to dry and rinsing it off. I think the Star Drops/Elbow Grease is probably more convenient here, in quantities that you can just wipe off in situ.

Last edited:
I was therefore surprised that it did little with what feels (to a life-long Audi owner) to be the strangest plastic that Audi has ever made. Maybe just more elbow grease is required but I didn't want to go too hard in case this strange plastic has a coating or top layer that can be worn away like the soft touch buttons. I'll have another go.
You have hit the nail on the head and already mentioned the product to use.... Yes it is called Elbow Grease and is used by many on here. Be careful with soft touch anywhere as by this age it is either gone or on its last legs.

Another Elbow grease fan here - you should have seen the transformation to my false floor carpet a good dousing then a thorough pressure-wash made to it, you could see it foam up like upholstery shampoo, which I suppose is what it is, as well as a general degreaser / cleaner.

The best part is it’s available for about £1 a bottle on Amazon, and that will last a good while!

Hello again,

Well, I have fixed a couple more things, but not cleaned it yet, so no car pics yet I'm afraid, so maybe I'll add a pic of the something I have fixed to add to your viewing pleasure...

In progress: -
  • Purchased replacement for missing spanner (need some tyre weld/gunk still...any recommendations?)
  • Fitted new door check strap. What is interesting (in other words, what I did not know) is that the clonking noise was not the check strap moving and clonking, but it was the sound of the end hitting the aluminium inner door liner and shedding aluminium filings on to the speaker! The photo below shows the damage to the door inner and the remaining filings after I had already blown and wiped most off.
Check strap damage.png

• Reset DEF error in trip display using VCDS - it came back a few times but is now showing trip mileage so fingers crossed
  • B pillar alarm ultrasonic button stuck in - dismantled to find the moving part is missing and the button glued in place!
  • 3D printed handbrake button failed after a week so now working with a machinist friend on aluminium version. I have worked out how to machine the t-shaped keyway and have drawn it up in 3D for him, but he is really busy at the moment so it's still broken button + duct tape for now.
  • Keyfob unlock microswitch has fallen off PCB - soldered back on and resynced but still not happy, so I think microswitch is dead
So that leads to my question of the day. Since I only need the remote part, I plan to buy a 2nd hand one, swap over bottom (remote) half to the original top half (key and transponder) then sync it to my car. Mine is the 433.92MHz version which is part number 8Z0837231D, but there are many more A3 and A4 remotes available which are the same frequency but different part numbers (such as 4D0837231N and A). Does anyone know if these have different transponders and thus different part numbers but the same circuit board and so the remote part will work?

Cheers
Simon

P.S. If anyone wants a "how to fix" on the drooping sun visor, let me know

Door strap still sound like it needs replacing. Get a far superior one ( exchange plus money ) from Paul. Get another second remote half BUT GET A D VERSION. Interested when you can get machined hand brake buttons. Need new ultra sonic alarm button.

Yup, the unit was replaced with one from Paul and the old one is winging its way back to be modded for the next person.

A and D versions both work - thanks. So what is the N version as that is also 433.92MHz?

I will update on the machined handbrake button once my friend has had time to contemplate, but it will be a few weeks. He has my CAD drawing and the broken original and I told him to ignore the strange shape of the button and just make it round as the one that I 3d printed was round and fitted nicely in the leather handle.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited:
Although the A may work best to stick with the D versions. You can still get black plastic hand brake buttons sometimes on Audi Tradition web site.

BTW try the Elbow Grease cleaner on the interior really does work well.

Hello again,

Well, I have fixed a couple more things, but not cleaned it yet, so no car pics yet I'm afraid, so maybe I'll add a pic of the something I have fixed to add to your viewing pleasure...

In progress: -
  • Purchased replacement for missing spanner (need some tyre weld/gunk still...any recommendations?)
  • Fitted new door check strap. What is interesting (in other words, what I did not know) is that the clonking noise was not the check strap moving and clonking, but it was the sound of the end hitting the aluminium inner door liner and shedding aluminium filings on to the speaker! The photo below shows the damage to the door inner and the remaining filings after I had already blown and wiped most off.
View attachment 78980
  • Reset DEF error in trip display using VCDS - it came back a few times but is now showing trip mileage so fingers crossed
  • B pillar alarm ultrasonic button stuck in - dismantled to find the moving part is missing and the button glued in place!
  • 3D printed handbrake button failed after a week so now working with a machinist friend on aluminium version. I have worked out how to machine the t-shaped keyway and have drawn it up in 3D for him, but he is really busy at the moment so it's still broken button + duct tape for now.
  • Keyfob unlock microswitch has fallen off PCB - soldered back on and resynced but still not happy, so I think microswitch is dead
So that leads to my question of the day. Since I only need the remote part, I plan to buy a 2nd hand one, swap over bottom (remote) half to the original top half (key and transponder) then sync it to my car. Mine is the 433.92MHz version which is part number 8Z0837231D, but there are many more A3 and A4 remotes available which are the same frequency but different part numbers (such as 4D0837231N and A). Does anyone know if these have different transponders and thus different part numbers but the same circuit board and so the remote part will work?

Cheers
Simon

P.S. If anyone wants a "how to fix" on the drooping sun visor, let me know

Something that can go hand in hand with the check strap not being great is the lower door hinge attachment (in the door, next to the check strap) getting loose as well (without the door sagging) - this can also cause more noise and the door rocking up and down during opening and closing even after the check strap has been replaced - can you lift the back edge of the door when it is half open or is that sound? Tightening that up on mine made a hell of a difference.

I am especially interested in what features Audi UK chose not to enable as my A5 had many hidden features which are now in daily use.

Welcome!

Many thanks for the link Herx, that is exactly what I wanted, although it is also exactly what I feared in that due to the age of the car, there is not much I can actually enable :-(

I asked as Audi UK marketing are famous for making crass decisions when it comes to the spec for UK cars. For example, most UK B3/B4 models including my base level 1982 80 CL and my 1994 fully loaded S2, had the German factory head units removed and replaced with Japanese units (mainly Panasonic or Sony).

On my A5, which has virtually every option from the factory, Audi UK choose to hide tyre pressure monitoring, oil temperature, battery status, ambient lighting and many, many more features - all now enabled via VCDS. In fact I personally think that hiding the tyre pressure monitoring feature is almost criminal.

Cheers
Simon

Many thanks for the link Herx, that is exactly what I wanted, although it is also exactly what I feared in that due to the age of the car, there is not much I can actually enable :-(

I asked as Audi UK marketing are famous for making crass decisions when it comes to the spec for UK cars. For example, most UK B3/B4 models including my base level 1982 80 CL and my 1994 fully loaded S2, had the German factory head units removed and replaced with Japanese units (mainly Panasonic or Sony).

On my A5, which has virtually every option from the factory, Audi UK choose to hide tyre pressure monitoring, oil temperature, battery status, ambient lighting and many, many more features - all now enabled via VCDS. In fact I personally think that hiding the tyre pressure monitoring feature is almost criminal.

Cheers
Simon
Good Evening Simon,

You may be interested in an upgrade to Colour DIS to provide access to some extra monitoring information that you miss in your A2.

Search 'Colour DIS' and more threads pop up such as this....

Andy

Last edited:
Door strap still sound like it needs replacing. Get a far superior one ( exchange plus money ) from Paul. Get another second remote half BUT GET A D VERSION. Interested when you can get machined hand brake buttons. Need new ultra sonic alarm button.
Keep up at the back: the door was apart to fit the checkstrap bought from Paul in post one :)

I had great fun trying to remove the climate control panel...NOT!. I am 83Kg and really quite strong but my entire body weight was not enough to shift it no matter how I positioned my grip and braced my body. I am an ex rock climber and still go chin-ups regularly but I just could not deliver the force required through my fingers to the small area on the rear of the unit that I figured could take it, so 10-15 minutes were spent just staring into the recess where the double Din stereo sits and thinking about all the tools I own that could fit in the hole. Finally I figured out how to apply more leverage and reduce the force on those ridiculous clips and out it popped. Hopefully when I find the correct rounded version it will not take as long to extract a second time!

I totally empathised with this! I struggled desperately with this in spite of the helpful suggestions from some on here and eventually gave up, so nice to know I’m not alone ?

Back