1.6FSI, not sure what to do next!

EdinA2

I'm into my fourth year with my fantastic A2, however I have a dilemma as to what to do next as I have the EML light permanently on and ABS & ESP lights on intermittently. (The ESP light has been coming on for some time on medium speed corners with 100% grip).

A bit of background. I joined the A2OC after buying my car, so unfortunately missed the EML light warnings! Over the last three years I have had the following done. New exhaust system, including Cat and sensors, ProBoost ECU, MAP sensor, engine breather, brake light switch, discs, rear callipers, rear springs, drop links, wheels, tyres, water pump and belts, 4 x coil packs, plus annual servicing. I’ve also had a recent trip to see Tom where he corrected a long list of issues including window operation, number plate lights and re-instating the EML light which, surprise surprise, turns out to have been butchered. I was hopeful, given all the work over my ownership, that following a reset, all lights would be out. This is what happened and for a few days all was good. (can’t speak highly enough about Toms work)

My local garage have given me a list of the current fault codes, but they are concerned that my bill for repairs may run away versus the value of the car. The car is running nicely but its currently just annoying having the EML on all the time and the ABS/ESP lights on intermittently.

The codes are

01177 Immobiliser defect control unit

01314 engine control unit

01314 ABS/ESP

01177 Instrument defect control unit

00710/00716/00601/00600 climate control

I am sure someone may have been before! What would the recommendation be to methodically work through this? I am not concerned about the Climate working unless I should be and more worried about the ABS/ESP than the EML.

Is the battery recent? That can contribute to a lot of spurious errors due to voltage fluctuations. I was going to ask about brake light switch, but you've had it done (my failing one made the radio crackle when braking). I note that 01177 and 01314 are quoted twice with different titles which makes me wonder if that was two separate reads / two different readers? When my other half's 1.4i had a ghost intake manifold pressure sensor spurious error and put on the engine light and an ABS fault, but when the ABS ECU was polled the fault code was for an unidentified 'engine ECU' fault and from memory there was something similar in the dashboard ECU relating to inter-ECU communication? After clearing these the problem didn't come back.

Finally - could the climate control issues be down to a sensor (for instance, AC pressure sensor) interfering with CANBUS?

Perhaps not - there are suggestions that 00601 relates to an air recirculation flap motor potentiometer and 00600 possibly the temperature mixing flap?

Last edited:
Hi Robin. Thanks for your quick reply. I was told the battery was new when I bought the car in May 2018. Looking at the battery it looks like its dated March 2018 if I’ve interpreted the numbers correctly. See attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG-3778.jpg
    IMG-3778.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG-3779.jpg
    IMG-3779.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
@EdinA2 is the EML on, and the ProBoost flitted?
I think the immobiliser code is because the ProBoost has the immobiliser disabled by default.
Mac.

Hi. Yes it is fitted. Thats why I had a high confidence level that the EML would be off especilly when combined with the other works completed.

I'd find someone with vcds, and clear the codes, in case some are historic.
Maybe ecu codes have different context with the ProBoost ecu. @timmus knows more, otherwise ask ProBoost.
Mac.

Hi Robin. Thanks for your quick reply. I was told the battery was new when I bought the car in May 2018. Looking at the battery it looks like its dated March 2018 if I’ve interpreted the numbers correctly. See attached photos.
I am slightly impressed/amazed that the previous owner bought a genuine 8Z.... battery with the extra cost. I cannot read the year ending date that you say is March 2016 which tallies with the related history, but I suspect this is the installers method of recording date of installation. The real question is when was the battery made with common practice to etch this on top of the negative terminal. I cannot read it convincly but possibly 3(????)4 03, maybe you can make it out better. Would have to do some research into this date's format.

Andy

Last edited:
I am slightly impressed/amazed that the previous owner bought a genuine 8Z.... battery with the extra cost. I cannot read the year ending date that you say is March 2016 with tallies with the the related history, but I suspect this is the installers method of recording date of installation. The real question is when was the battery made and common practice to etch this on top of the negative terminal. I cannot read it convincly but possibly 3(????)4 03, maybe you can make it out better. Would have to do some research into this date's format.

Andy
Looks like 3/4/03 to me

I am slightly impressed/amazed that the previous owner bought a genuine 8Z.... battery with the extra cost. I cannot read the year ending date that you say is March 2016 with tallies with the the related history, but I suspect this is the installers method of recording date of installation. The real question is when was the battery made and common practice to etch this on top of the negative terminal. I cannot read it convincingly but possibly 3(????)4 03, maybe you can make it out better. Would have to do some research into this date's format.

The date etched into the top of the negative terminal is 34 03. This indicates that the battery was made in the 34th week of 2003.

IMG-3779.jpg

I presume that battery was reconditioned in 2018, rather than being replaced. Definitely a false economy.

If you are able to find anyone local with VCDS (or just ask your local garage), they will be able to confirm the current voltage available from the battery, as well as everything else.

A weak battery causes errors with the A2's electronics long before it fails to turn the starter motor.

Yes the car is 2004. All the error codes were noted above and cleared by my local garage this week. I will get the battery tested next week. I’ve also sent a PM to Tom for his input. As the seller omitted to tell me about the EML, he may have been economic about the battery, maybe it was new to the car! Thanks all for your feedback. Angus.

Good luck. I've just (this week) noticed that my FSI's EML has been deleted, despite having owned the car for over 6 years. Everything runs fine and emissions are good at MOT, so I'll just be ignoring it!

Yes the car is 2004. All the error codes were noted above and cleared by my local garage this week. I will get the battery tested next week. I’ve also sent a PM to Tom for his input. As the seller omitted to tell me about the EML, he may have been economic about the battery, maybe it was new to the car! Thanks all for your feedback. Angus.
I think you may be a tad optimistic, having an 18 year old battery checked!
Maybe the reputation for financial prudence north of the border is under estimated!
So, my answer to the question
"... not sure what to do next ... "
is ... buy a new battery!
Mac.

I have spent a lot of money on my car over the last 3 years, I thought people on here were above such sterotype comments. Yes I am upset with your comments Mac.

I have spent a lot of money on my car over the last 3 years, I thought people on here were above such sterotype comments. Yes I am upset with your comments Mac.
I think no harm was meant just a tongue in cheek quip ...in my own opinion for what it’s worth yes it’s pointing to battery worth having it checked or replaced ..?

The person you should really be upset with is the person who told you that the car had been fitted with a a new battery, when it quite clearly hadn't. And the sooner you buy a new battery, the sooner you'll know whether your A2 actually has any outstanding problems or (hopefully) not.

The current Varta recommendation is the E44 and here at £81.95 is the cheapest listing on eBay right now for one that's new, with 5 year warranty and next day delivery:

Back