Wanted: a person to fit OSRAM LED DLR fog lights into existing fog lights housing

gromand

I am looking for an A2OC member or an indie mechanic to replicate a project detailed by our member @ajsellors in his detailed post,
describing how OSRAM DLR/fog lights are fitted in the existing A2 fog lights housing and connected to the electrical system.

The link to the fitting description is here:

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/osram-ledriving-fog-drl-install.28801/#post-285137

The job will be fully paid for. A deposit will be paid prior to the actual job started.

Ideally, the job should be done in London or within a reasonable distance to London. The first stage is to fit the Osrams into the the
spare foglights that I have, fix and watertight seal everything and then I bring the car so that the lights are fitted in the bumper
and connected to the electrical system.

There is no strict time scale – if it is done within a week, this is fine; if it is done in 3 months – this is fine as well. The main thing is that
it is done at all.

If a person can do its mechanical part only, without actually connecting the lights to the electrical system – this is fine as this part of the
project could be done by a garage that had looked after my A2 for years.

Thank you!

I am looking for an A2OC member or an indie mechanic to replicate a project detailed by our member @ajsellors in his detailed post,
describing how OSRAM DLR/fog lights are fitted in the existing A2 fog lights housing and connected to the electrical system.

The link to the fitting description is here:

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/osram-ledriving-fog-drl-install.28801/#post-285137

The job will be fully paid for. A deposit will be paid prior to the actual job started.

Ideally, the job should be done in London or within a reasonable distance to London. The first stage is to fit the Osrams into the the
spare foglights that I have, fix and watertight seal everything and then I bring the car so that the lights are fitted in the bumper
and connected to the electrical system.

There is no strict time scale – if it is done within a week, this is fine; if it is done in 3 months – this is fine as well. The main thing is that
it is done at all.

If a person can do its mechanical part only, without actually connecting the lights to the electrical system – this is fine as this part of the
project could be done by a garage that had looked after my A2 for years.

Thank you!
Are these Osram lamps still available? I searched a while back, but couldn't find any. I believe they were discontinued a while ago.
The OEM fog lights can be fitted with leds, and wired as DRLs, there is a DRL position, unused, on the main light switch.
I have considered it myself, but running the cables, via the driver wheel arch, meaning wheel arch out, is a bit beyond my aging skill set.
Hope someone pops up who can.
Mac.

Are these Osram lamps still available? I searched a while back, but couldn't find any. I believe they were discontinued a while ago.
The OEM fog lights can be fitted with leds, and wired as DRLs, there is a DRL position, unused, on the main light switch.
I have considered it myself, but running the cables, via the driver wheel arch, meaning wheel arch out, is a bit beyond my aging skill set.
Hope someone pops up who can.
Mac.
Hello Mac,

I even did not know that the OEM fog lights can be wired as DRLs - thank you for the suggestion, this will be a plan B if noone
is found to fit these Osrams.

I bought them before pandemic and am not sure if they are available now. This is possible to research on the internet.

Another matter that I had Osram and Philips LED DLR bars fitted in the lower grill. It is quite possible that there are already
the drilled holes since the bars were connected to the electric system; besides, there is a rocker switch under the steering
wheel with which those LED bars could be switched off.
I will ask the guys in the garage ho they routed the wires and will update the post.

Best wishes,

Andre

Can I ask what is the main reason to swap them? Its looks awful with the magnifying lens, but apart from that the fog light doesn't really get used a lot, at least I only use it a few times a year and I live by the sea. Does spending the extra money worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask what is the main reason to swap them? Its looks awful with the magnifying lens, but apart from that the fog light doesn't really get used a lot, at least I only use it a few times a year and I live by the sea. Does spending the extra money worth it?
The main reason is to use its DLR function - when I see any car with the DLR lights on, I am somehow more aware of the presence
of this car than about a car without the lights on. May be it is something wrong with my eyes.
Yet, if the lit DLR on my car prevent a collision with a pedestrian even once in my lifetime, then the lights are worth to spend
money.
Basically, it is just a personal preference. Kind of, we all here have Audi A2s yet a lot of other cars' owners do not understand why we have them ;-)

The main reason is to use its DLR function - when I see any car with the DLR lights on, I am somehow more aware of the presence
of this car than about a car without the lights on. May be it is something wrong with my eyes.
Yet, if the lit DLR on my car prevent a collision with a pedestrian even once in my lifetime, then the lights are worth to spend
money.
Basically, it is just a personal preference. Kind of, we all here have Audi A2s yet a lot of other cars' owners do not understand why we have them ;-)
I agree on the advantages of DRLs. I was not keen when they were first introduced, but I find that I am seeing the DRLs of cars, at junctions, for example, before the car itself. I've just had cataract surgery on both eyes, so it's not my eyes? I've modified the fogs on my Mk1 TT, using a relay, so that they come on with ignition, but revert to normal fogs when main lights are on.
The TT is a small car with a low profile, so DRLs improve it's visibility. It also seems to encourage others to move to the left!
Simpler on the A2, as a DRL contact is present on the main light switch, but, for UK, unused.
Mac.

I agree on the advantages of DRLs. I was not keen when they were first introduced, but I find that I am seeing the DRLs of cars, at junctions, for example, before the car itself. I've just had cataract surgery on both eyes, so it's not my eyes? I've modified the fogs on my Mk1 TT, using a relay, so that they come on with ignition, but revert to normal fogs when main lights are on.
The TT is a small car with a low profile, so DRLs improve it's visibility. It also seems to encourage others to move to the left!
Simpler on the A2, as a DRL contact is present on the main light switch, but, for UK, unused.
Mac.
Hello Mac,

if the DRL contact is present on the main light switch, does it mean that practically even an installed
bulb in a fog lamp can be used as a DLR?
I mean, does this DLR contact changes the pattern of light between a fog light, where the light goes
parallel to the ground AND a DRL pattern, which is multi-directional?

Many thanks indeed,

Andre

Mac.
Hello Mac,
if the DRL contact is present on the main light switch, does it mean that practically even an installed
bulb in a fog lamp can be used as a DLR?
I mean, does this DLR contact changes the pattern of light between a fog light, where the light goes
parallel to the ground AND a DRL pattern, which is multi-directional?
Many thanks indeed,
Andre

There is no change in beam pattern, but in my TT, I have found that the brighter, but less focused light that fitting an led to the fog lights give, it is fine for a DRL, which only operates in daylight. Probably less effective as a fog light, but it's not often we see fog, and I'm not sure any fog light helps much when we do.
I fitted an additional fuse in the DRL feed, and remove it for MoT. It should pass, but a grumpy tester might not agree.
Mac.

Hello Mac,

is it an H7 bulb that is used in the fogs? For the LED DLRs I mean...

I checked internet and it should be H7 yet I'd rather check once again with you.

Many thanks indeed!

Hello Mac,

is it an H7 bulb that is used in the fogs? For the LED DLRs I mean...

I checked internet and it should be H7 yet I'd rather check once again with you.

Many thanks indeed!
Yes, they are H7. I've not done this on the A2, just the TT.
Anyone on here recommend a good quality LED H7, that fits an A2 fog please?
Some leds bulbs have a body that's too long.
These look OK:
I used Night Eye in the TT. The led is in the correct position, to mimic the filament. The leds in the TT are now at least 4 years old, and fine.
Mac.

Hi Gromand, I have just got an A2 this week and have looked at DRL's either in the fogs or main lights, there are more important jobs to do first on the car but I am willing to have a look at the fogs for you, I run a small lighting company and have manly done old VW stuff

Back