02 reg and 54 reg

Gritty

Hi every one

Advice sought

I currently drive an SE 1.4tdi none working oss but has bose and half leather sports seats 123k in grey, a friend has offered me a 54 plate tdi SE with working oss silver in immac condition, 103k but no bose or leather sports seats.

Are there any advantages in owning a later 54 plate over an 02 A2?

You have the better spec A2 over your friend. member Kleynie can fix your broken sky so I would keep it.
No real difference other than engine code, Ask your friend to join club and post a for sale ad I would say.
Ross

There's differences, not necessarily advantages with the younger model. Electric auxiliary heater vs webasto is one, electric heater is more reliable though can't be set to run without the engine running. All A2's are 'old' so condition is more important than age.
You could easily transfer your seats into the younger one (assuming rear seat configuration is identical), BOSE can be moved also though this is much more time consuming.

As above you already have the better spec car with the advantage of the faster heating the Webasto provides. Electric aux heater is good but too many parameters have to be just right for it to work at least in this country. It is a bit like waiting for the planets to align... @Kleynie offers an excellent service, save your pennies and book them to service and repair your brokensky. Other reason is you know your own car very well including anything you are not quite happy with. Another car you will have to go through the process again not to mention anything you were to swap now or later..

Agree with all the above opinions, except that if you were to go for the younger car, it might be better to retrofit a BOSE setup that had been removed from a breaker, or at least a cheapie, rather from your older car. Reason being, although you'd definitely want to make up a loom to upgrade to BOSE in the recipient car, if you wanted to sell the donor car on for any reasonable money you'd have to put back the standard sound system. That would involve a whole new audio loom to run the speakers from the headunit rather than from the BOSE amp, and the Blaupunkt amp to power the rear ones, all that work for just normal sounds.

Another point in favour of keeping the older car is that you'll also probably have the cast wishbones on it, which don't rust through from the inside, unlike the later pressed ones. And 20000 miles on a TDI is nothing :) I'd be sticking with the older one and paying @Kleynie a visit as previously suggested.

Back