1.2Tdi Long Trip Fuel Consumption

G

Guest 4123

Just returned from a trip to Gainsborough from Eastbourne, via M25, M11, A1(M) etc., most at about 70mph where possible. DIS tells me 2.8L/100km. Probably slightly optimistic but not far out. 1/4 tank remaining, 750km. With A/C on on the return. It even included a half-hour queue at the Dartford Crossing.

RAB

Dan,

It's much better than that:

4.54L = 1 gallon
1m = 1.61km

2.8L/100km = 2.8L/62.11m

4.54/2.8 = 1.62

Therefore 2.8L/62.11m is equivalent to (1.62 * 2.8)L/(1.62*62.11m) which is 4.54L/100.61m

84mpg (US) perhaps?

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is good.
I'm currently thrashing the nads off my 1.4tdi and cruise at an indicated 80 (on the local Autobahn). Just averaged 56.8 from 5 fill-ups of ordinary diesel.
Probably 70% motorway and 30 a/b roads
I must put the engine lower cover on.........should help mpg.

But I am happy as it's a 26mpg improvement over my TT...
J
;-)

Argh you're right, it's 84 US Gallons stupid damn Google convert!
So you've actually averaged just over 100 proper UK Miles to 1 proper UK gallon. I'm seriously impressed/ jealous.

Dan,

It's much better than that:

4.54L = 1 gallon
1m = 1.61km

2.8L/100km = 2.8L/62.11m

4.54/2.8 = 1.62

Therefore 2.8L/62.11m is equivalent to (1.62 * 2.8)L/(1.62*62.11m) which is 4.54L/100.61m

84mpg (US) perhaps?

RAB

The amazing thing was that I was not driving to save fuel, just get there and back and do some work in between. Must be like an SR71 - the faster you go the more economical! It was no fluke either - I did the same trip a few weeks ago with similar figures.

RAB

1.2 Tdi DIS accuracy

The odometer on my 1.2 Tdi over reads by 2%. I checked it when driving home to Ireland with the km posts on the German autobahns. The DIS is out by a further 6%. This increases as the injectors wear. My speedometer is also very optimistic. It over reads by at least 5-6 %. 70 mph is really only about 65 mph.
If your consumption is corrected it is still very good at 70 mph with A/C on. 3.02 l/100km which is approx 93 mpg.

My best corrected consumption on a full tank is 2.6 l/100 km (109 mpg), approximately 1250 km on 33 litres. My best consumption on a single long trip is 2.4l/100 km corrected. (118 mpg) These figures were achieved on long runs at about 50mph with the A/C off and Eco mode on.

Currently it is only doing about 3.1 l/100 km as it is still on winter tyres as it requires new summer tyres. I am going to fit 165/70 x 14 Michelin Energy Savers as these have a similar circumference to the 145/80 Ecopias.

I am hoping the Energy Savers will be as good as the Ecopias. The A2 feels dead on winter tyres as doesn't free wheel so well.

audia23l

Last edited:
Odometer and speedometers errors should be the same. If my speedometer is out by 6%, so is my GPS! Non-standard tyres of course will give an error, as will the difference between new and worn standard size tyres. Mine are 145x80's. Filling of the tank since the journey, indicated about 96mpg, but that also included some local runs since the last fill.

RAB

Hello
I am a future owner of a 1.2 a2 and i want to know how much would the mpg suffer if i change to 165/70 tyres...?

I ve tested the car in dry and it os ok, but in wet i think it will be miserable! At least my mothers's smart with 145/55 is!

Offtopic: does anyone know where to get a new/used in good condition gear lever for it?

Thanks!

1.2 Tdi DIS accuracy, 145X80 or 165x70 tyres

I have only compared 145x80 Continental winter tyres with the standard 145x80 Bridgestone Ecopias. Consumption increases by about 7%. Standard 165x70's would no doubt increase consumption significantly but I hope that the Michelin Energy Savers will not. It they do increase consumption I will change back to the Ecopias. When I get them fitted I will post the results. 145x80 Ecopias have very poor wet grip. This is also why I want to change them.

Rab it is amazing that my speedometer over reads by so much and yours is accurate. I also checked mine with GPS on half worn 145/80 Ecopias. I wonder can it be adjusted with Vag Com. Have you checked your odometer?

audia23l

Part of the increase in consumption with winter tyres, probabaly most of it, is down to the lower winter temperatures. I use winter tyres on one of our Lupo 3L's, but summer tyres in winter on the other. There is not much difference in consumption between the two.

There are different instrument units fitted to 1.2Tdi's. Mine is not the original as we have to display MPH in the UK. The units have to be fitted by a dealer linked up to the Audi system. I am not aware of any adjustments on vag com, indeed there should not need to be. As far as I am aware, the odometer is pretty accurate but I will check it against GPS.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine still has the original km unit as road signs are displayed in km in Ireland. I wonder does that explain the difference? I had the central information display at start up changed to English though.

audia23l

Hello
I am a future owner of a 1.2 a2 and i want to know how much would the mpg suffer if i change to 165/70 tyres...?

I ve tested the car in dry and it os ok, but in wet i think it will be miserable! At least my mothers's smart with 145/55 is!

Offtopic: does anyone know where to get a new/used in good condition gear lever for it?

Thanks!

I haven't found 145x80's a problem in the wet. Perhaps it depends on how you drive.

You should be able to get a good gangsteller on ebay. Most are replaced unnecessarily!

RAB

Back