1.4 BBY petrol, heavy oil consumption

Johnhenry

Evening all

LOVING my a2 but having an issue.
The last 2 months, ive had the 'low oil' DIS warning beep off at me. Of course i topped up immediately (a lifetime of french cars means there ALWAYS spare oil in the boot!)

Between the first low oil warning and 2nd warning (today), i have serviced the car.

Notable things
- about 1500-2000 miles between oil issues
- no clear leaks on the driveway
- undertrays look clean (no leaks)
- no signs of smoke (of any colour) on startup or under load
- no misfires
- when serviced, all the sparkplugs looked OK, a good spark.
- when serviced, i didnt notice any oil residue on the block, suggesting no leak

Ive read the BBY engine Oil consumption can be up to 1/2 litre per 1000 miles. I am above that for sure.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Johk

You are checking the dipstick aren’t you ?

It’s a common problem of the oil level sensor failing (causing the light to come on) check the dipstick and see if you have the right amount in before you put more oil in as you don’t want to ruin your engine by over filling with oil :)?

Don’t just refill it because the light comes on

As I say it’s a common problem and I’ve seen plenty of people put more oil in because the light comes on and then they end up overfilling it with oil and there goes a engine

You are checking the dipstick aren’t you ?

It’s a common problem of the oil level sensor failing (causing the light to come on) check the dipstick and see if you have the right amount in before you put more oil in as you don’t want to ruin your engine by over filling with oil :)?

Don’t just refill it because the light comes on

As I say it’s a common problem and I’ve seen plenty of people put more oil in because the light comes on and then they end up overfilling it with oil and there goes a engine

DIS warning seperated oil level sensor and oil level warnings out? I checked the dipstick the first time and it needed topping up.

Of course if the sensor is faulty you will know as it will pop up on the dash saying low level but actually it’s at the right level and doesn’t need topping up at all :) you will only know if it’s at the right level by checking the dipstick

Is the warning like this ?

No, its the same without the word SENSOR. Using the manual its classed as 'low oil level'

Warning is also yellow

I topped it up with approx a litre ealier, now showing on rhe dip stick
Is your dipstick snapped ?

This is a broken one

How it should be :)

It’s very common the dipsticks snap so if yours is broken and your showing oil on the top part that means it’s too full

Sorry I’m not much help :confused:

I’m sure some experts will be here soon :)

Is your dipstick snapped ?

This is a broken one

View attachment 54103

How it should be :)

View attachment 54104

It’s very common the dipsticks snap so if yours is broken and your showing oil on the top part that means it’s too full

Sorry I’m not much help :confused:

I’m sure some experts will be here soon :)

I recently bought a new dipstick from audi as part of the service. It was black ended not orange, which was annoying.

I recently bought a new dipstick from audi as part of the service. It was black ended not orange, which was annoying.
Sorry but I can’t help any more all I can suggest is make sure it’s not over filled and it’s at the right level at all times :)

Come on experts HELP !!!

Sorry but I can’t help any more all I can suggest is make sure it’s not over filled and it’s at the right level at all times :)

Come on experts HELP !!!
Thanks for the input bud, im a bit stumped myself. Im tempted to do a a compression test done over the weekend, see if its leaking

A cylinder leakage test would be far better as it will show where compression is being lost and possible causes to burning oil (eg past the rings)........a compression test will only show the pressure in each cyl while obviously showing a possible loss of pressure in a cyl it does not give as accurate a result and the ability to trace compression loss.

A cylinder leakage test would be far better as it will show where compression is being lost and possible causes to burning oil (eg past the rings)........a compression test will only show the pressure in each cyl while obviously showing a possible loss of pressure in a cyl it does not give as accurate a result and the ability to trace compression loss.

Wouldnt the use of wet and dry compression test show if its rings or the head?

A cylinder leakage test allows you to apply pressure to a cyl while you inspect possible causes................a wet/dry compression test won't......... it just gives a very suspect method of checking bore/ring wear and nothing else............How do you check inlet/ex valve leakage with a compression test?............Sorry I've been in the trade all my working life and always prefer cyl leakage tests

A cylinder leakage test allows you to apply pressure to a cyl while you inspect possible causes................a wet/dry compression test won't......... it just gives a very suspect method of checking bore/ring wear and nothing else............How do you check inlet/ex valve leakage with a compression test?............Sorry I've been in the trade all my working life and always prefer cyl leakage tests

Appreciate where youre coming from, however i have a compression tester at home, and its at least something i could do to keep ruling bits and pieces out to at lesast try and investigate things further.

There will come a point where if its not a leak, then a garage will.have to become involved at some stage.

compression test the engine when hot, and add NO OIL to the cylinders, note the readings on each cylinder
now add a single stroke of oil from a pump oil can to the 1st cylinder and spin the engine over a few revs and re do the compression test immediately - note the reading, repeat for the other 3 cylinders

You now have a set of reading from dry cylinders and wet with oil cylinders
firstly all cylinders when dry should be within +/- 15psi of each other, the near to each other the better
compare cylinder 1 dry to cylinder 1 wet - if the readings are nearly the same then you have no ring leakage, if the wet reading is a lot higher than dry then you have ring leakage
If a particular cylinder is lower than the rest, and recovers when wet then worn rings / bore on that cylinder, most likely broken rings
If a particular cylinder is lower than the rest, and does not recovers when wet then bad / burned etc valves (the oil will not seal a bad valve)

used this method for 40 years and always been a good indication of engine wear / damage and what is the cause

compression test the engine when hot, and add NO OIL to the cylinders, note the readings on each cylinder
now add a single stroke of oil from a pump oil can to the 1st cylinder and spin the engine over a few revs and re do the compression test immediately - note the reading, repeat for the other 3 cylinders

You now have a set of reading from dry cylinders and wet with oil cylinders
firstly all cylinders when dry should be within +/- 15psi of each other, the near to each other the better
compare cylinder 1 dry to cylinder 1 wet - if the readings are nearly the same then you have no ring leakage, if the wet reading is a lot higher than dry then you have ring leakage
If a particular cylinder is lower than the rest, and recovers when wet then worn rings / bore on that cylinder, most likely broken rings
If a particular cylinder is lower than the rest, and does not recovers when wet then bad / burned etc valves (the oil will not seal a bad valve)

used this method for 40 years and always been a good indication of engine wear / damage and what is the cause

Thats the way ive been taught/done it in the past, but i wont argue with other known methods!

Results inbound over the weekend!

Back