1.4 Pertol cutting out.

Jim Heppy

Hello, I been having a read around the subject but thought I’d ask as well. 54 plate I.4 pertol starts lovely every time but will just cut out whilst driving, ok on a country lane but bloody scary on the motor way. Just a quick on and off again and it’s all back up and running, sometime for a few days or 20min. I havnt looked at codes yet as my mate is on holiday but some of the threads mention voltage drop to the ECU caused by doggy earths. Can somebody pint me in the direction of them. Any help appropriated thanks Jim.

the most significant earth - although this mostly affects starting (symptoms similar to a flat battery even when it is well charged) is the one from the starter motor to the chassis leg below the air-con pipework / behind the passenger-side (UK) headlight. Unscrewing and cleaning up the contacts made a huge difference to all three of my A2s. Not certain if this would cause the car to cut out completely when running. I do remember someone else here having a similar thread 2 years ago but can't remember the solution.

Is the car dry in the well where the battery sits? One thread here commented on water in the battery compartment contributing to a similar fault.

alternatively, pre-cat lambda? Try unplugging it and see if it eliminates the issue.

Last edited:
Back