1.4 petrol AUA...I retract my statement

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
For the past 5 years of A2 ownership I've always overlooked the 1.4 petrol because I've owned a few and found them to be a little underpowered. They have always been well used examples that were verging on breaker territory and I think this has skewed my judgement.

Having now got a 1.4 AUA here that has 16 services with the same Audi dealer up to its current 108k, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

What a beautifully quiet, light and peppy little engine. I find this one to be at least as quick as any FSI I've owned.

Let them bring on the clean air zones in any capital city, because we are ready for them with the 1.4 AUA :)

Your not wrong Steve, over the years I have probably experienced working on more A2's than anyone else, What I have always said is the 1.4 Petrol engine is my favourite, admittedly, they can feel a tad under powered at times, but it is the most reliable and least troublesome engine in an A2. It wants nothing other than regular service, has no turbos, intercoolers etc to go wrong.

For the past 5 years of A2 ownership I've always overlooked the 1.4 petrol because I've owned a few and found them to be a little underpowered. They have always been well used examples that were verging on breaker territory and I think this has skewed my judgement.

Having now got a 1.4 AUA here that has 16 services with the same Audi dealer up to its current 108k, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

What a beautifully quiet, light and peppy little engine. I find this one to be at least as quick as any FSI I've owned.

Let them bring on the clean air zones in any capital city, because we are ready for them with the 1.4 AUA :)
Completely agree with you Steve. I had to switch from diesel to petrol last year for the ULEZ here in London. The first few days I was missing the turbo kick but you soon you appreciate the smoothness, quietness and lightness. At first I had to rev up the engine to make sure it was running...it was THAT quiet :)
One year on and no issues to report. Just passed MOT today with flying colors and no advisories...

Agree; I have the TDI90 ATL and the 1.4i AUA. The petrol is hopeless slow and lazy in comparison, but on the other hand hardly possible the hear. Consumptionwise identical, very impressive.

The worst thing with the VAG petrols this period, is the 1 sec lag between the gas pedal and time engine actually start to rev. But you get used to it.

Agree; I have the TDI90 ATL and the 1.4i AUA. The petrol is hopeless slow and lazy in comparison

At one point I had probably the quickest 1.4 TDI A2 in the club with 160bhp; I don't think the 1.4 AUA is sluggish if the revs are used properly.

I'm not a TDI convert, but I do quite like this one.

Love my little 1.4 petrol. Agree with @Sarge on the reliability and ease of ownership, when well maintained. Obviously you can never have enough horsepower but what it lacks in acceleration and torque, it claws back with balance and handling. Perfect little go anywhere town car, quiet, refined and fun to drive!

I've been saying the same thing ever since i bought our first A2 - 1.4 BBY 2 1/2 years ago. The 1.4 BBY or AUA are little gems if serviced properly, engine oil changes is the key to smoothness and long term longevity. There's no difference between them other than AUA is spark plug lead technology as apposed to BBY more modern coil on plug. The handling balance is so sweet and as long as you keep the reves up it can really be a source of enjoyment on the B roads. Even driving around town the handling puts a smile on the face with its very neutral go-cart like handling.

We had a Terraclean performed on ours and the difference was immediately noticeable something i would recommend on the 1.4. On a run it will achieve 50 mpgs quite easily staying at the speed limits allowable. A great car and good to see a few more converts.

Another not to be overlooked benefit of the petrols is the knife through butter gear change. Granted the TDIs feel positive, but the petrols retain a positive motion whilst similarly being ever so slick too. In addition to, dare I say, their added refinement and rev-happy capability, they make for a great driving experience.

Its also strange how responsive the brakes are in comparison with the TDI. You wouldn't think that the minimal difference in weight between the 2 engines would make that much of an impact.

Steve - picking up your point about comparison with the FSI - coincidentally I met Tom (Timmus) at the weekend and he said the same thing - reckoned the FSI only had the edge over 3000 rpm.
I'll never get to compare them because - sadly - or maybe happily - I am not brave enough to own an FSI.
I have got used to the performance of a 1.4 now. It was always going to feel sluggish after the ForFour Brabus which had 177bhp!
Still - now you are a half convert - if you do come up with a means to liberate a few more horses - do share it with us :)

Still - now you are a half convert - if you do come up with a means to liberate a few more horses - do share it with us :)

I was surprised to find this on ebay at such a low price.

Dropping the first cat would quite probably get things flowing a bit better, but I'm unsure on petrol's how negatively it would affect the emissions test.

Not if it is pre 51 plate! stupidly as the log book doesn't state CO2 figures on V5, they (ULEZ R-Soles) say its up to us to contact Audi and get a certificate of conformity.
So an AUA pre 51 plate is not see as same as post 51 plate, make of that what you will.

Yes can someone explain why early 1.4 AUA cars are Euro 3 and later ones are Euro 4?
What is actually different about the engines and their emissions level?

Agree with everything said except reliability. Adams BBY seems to throw a paddy and the engine light comes on every so often, and the coil packs aren’t that reliable either. The VED is far too high for such a car as well.
Having had something like 13 A2’s on our driveway for new OSS’s in the last year, I think we’ve only had two petrol cars. The diesels always seem rough to me.

Ian

Agree with everything said except reliability. Adams BBY seems to throw a paddy and the engine light comes on every so often, and the coil packs aren’t that reliable either. The VED is far too high for such a car as well.
Ian

I can only speak for my experience but it has to be the reason for success in that area. We had a problem with our BBY within 2 weeks of ownership, running on 3 cylinders engine light on. When i looked at the coils they were a miss mash of different makes. Bought 4 new ones from Audi and they have been perfect since having travelled over 10k miles on them.It might be worth checking out the wiring to yours as these deteriorate causing problems.

Totally agree the VED is too high for this engine and yet the Diesels don't comply with Ulez but are 75% cheaper to tax. That will be government in their infinite wisdom.

Back