1.4 petrol AUA - Low oil warning light + engine breathing tube + wheel bellow

a2lover

Hello ! I have an 1.4 petrol AUA from 2000, and yesterday it appeared a yellow min oil level warning light. I had check the oil level using the dipstick about 2 months ago and it seemed to be ok, but nevertheless and i was going to my job, i stopped at a garage (that i had never gone to) and they checked and they told me that the oil level was in fact very low so it was better to replace the oil. As the oil change was near i have chosen to change the oil and oil filter (they have put in it SYNTIUM 3000 AV 5W40 200L). As i never used this oil is it a good oil? Is it a regular or long life oil?
Also i thougth that my a2 oil tank capacity was 3,5 litres and they charged me for 5 litres of oil + oil filter + labour it had a very high final proce for the job
Also i dont know how the oil disappear so quickly it does not seem to be and oil leak the only explantion is if the engine is buring oil, but since i had the car i have only done about 4000 km with it so it would have to have burnt a significant amount of oil to trigger the low level warning right? How many litres of oil still left when the alarm appears?

They also told me that i had the engine breathing tube broken and on the rigth wheel the bellow was also damaged and it needed to be changed.
Could the breathing tube be related with the oil consumption?

I have gone to my usual mechanic about two weeks ago after instaling a new CAT and he did not told me about any of this issues so i find it strange. Is there any way that i can confirm these faults? Is it necessary to have a car lift to detect those faults ( the Wheel below and the engine breathing tube)?

Also is it very expansive to replace the engine breathing tube and the wheel below?

Thanks

Last edited:
First question. Is your dipstick intact? If it is broken then there is a chance the car has been over filled with oil. This is a very bad thing and can cause damage to the engine. Please take a picture showing the calibrated end of your oil dip stick and post it here.

Reactions: mtl
First question. Is your dipstick intact? If it is broken then there is a chance the car has been over filled with oil. This is a very bad thing and can cause damage to the engine. Please take a picture showing the calibrated end of your oil dip stick and post it here.
agree with this - very important to check the dipstick as it is easily broken and very easily overfilled by people who do not know the car. @a2lover - welcome - obviously we all wish your first post here was in happier circumstances. It is surprisingly common that first posts from new members contain a similar question, which is why we are asking the obvious question in return.

In vehicles this age we often see sensors giving warning messages because the sensor - or the wire to the sensor - is failing. I have replaced more sensors in my 3 A2s than I can count after coming here, reading old posts and then polling the experts for their ideas and using my reader - none of the replacement sensors were very expensive and the error message went away. Curing the symptom (the "low oil" message) - by adding oil, rather than curing the fault (possibly a faulty sensor or wire) - can cause much worse problems as suggested above.

The garage were probably charging for a complete 5L bottle of oil, even if this was not used in entirety - or even extant if they took 3.5L from their 50L drum in the workshop .... Not abnormal...

We had a low oil message on our AUA, but by the time the sensor was delivered, the error had gone away and never reappeared, unlike the many other fault codes this car had for the first 2 years of my ownership with ongoing improvements and TLC. I still have not fitted the oil sensor yet.

Hope that your problem is quickly resolved! Keep coming back and asking questions, we will always try to assist.

best wishes!

Hello ! I have an 1.4 petrol AUA from 2000, and yesterday it appeared a yellow min oil level warning light. I had check the oil level using the dipstick about 2 months ago and it seemed to be ok, but nevertheless and i was going to my job, i stopped at a garage (that i had never gone to) and they checked and they told me that the oil level was in fact very low so it was better to replace the oil. As the oil change was near i have chosen to change the oil and oil filter (they have put in it SYNTIUM 3000 AV 5W40 200L). As i never used this oil is it a good oil? Is it a regular or long life oil?
Also i thougth that my a2 oil tank capacity was 3,5 litres and they charged me for 5 litres of oil + oil filter + labour it had a very high final proce for the job
Also i dont know how the oil disappear so quickly it does not seem to be and oil leak the only explantion is if the engine is buring oil, but since i had the car i have only done about 4000 km with it so it would have to have burnt a significant amount of oil to trigger the low level warning right? How many litres of oil still left when the alarm appears?

They also told me that i had the engine breathing tube broken and on the rigth wheel the bellow was also damaged and it needed to be changed.
Could the breathing tube be related with the oil consumption?

I have gone to my usual mechanic about two weeks ago after instaling a new CAT and he did not told me about any of this issues so i find it strange. Is there any way that i can confirm these faults? Is it necessary to have a car lift to detect those faults ( the Wheel below and the engine breathing tube)?

Also is it very expansive to replace the engine breathing tube and the wheel below?

Thanks
Hi. Here's a picture of the dipstick. I dont think it is broken its seems like the other dipsticks.

How about the oil SYNTIUM 3000 AV 5W40 how many kms should it do? 10k, 20k, 30k?

Supposing the level was really low what can be causing the oil level to drop like this os just 4000 kms? Could the breathing tube of.the engine be related with this problem?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_20211130_205959.jpg
    IMG_20211130_205959.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 110
OK the dip stick is not broken. Can you wipe it and clearly show the oil reading on it. If it is as high as the level I can see then it has been OVER FILLED. The max level is a raised line just above the hatched area. Guess if that is the level then they have put in 5 litres. If so find another garage!!!!!

a2-2623.png

The oil must NOT be above line a. Acceptable range of level area is b. Below c MUST be topped up.

OK the dip stick is not broken. Can you wipe it and clearly show the oil reading on it. If it is as high as the level I can see then it has been OVER FILLED. The max level is a raised line just above the hatched area. Guess if that is the level then they have put in 5 litres. If so find another garage!!!!!

a2-2623.png

The oil must NOT be above line a. Acceptable range of level area is b. Below c MUST be topped up.

Yes you are probably rigth maybe they have put all 5 litres of oil in it ?. Its not my usual Garage i just went there because i was afraid the car was running with no oil.

Tomorrow i Will post more pictures of diferent readings cleaning the dipstick between measures.

What type of problems can come from Overfilling the engine with oil?

Thanks for the help

Silly question but why didn't you check the oil level first??

It enters the engine breather system, causes excess oil in the combustion chamber which then burns, can damage the piston rings, make weak sparks, foul up sensors, damage the cats etc. Under some circumstances too much oil in the sump can stop a piston from dropping on the power stroke and hydraulic lock. All bad hence dipsticks have a maximum level.

To do a decent oil level check on the A2 I read recently to take the dipstick out and leave it out for a while and then take a reading. I tried it and it works every time

Reactions: mtl
Back