1.4 SE, new to me, what should I check?

SiOsbon

Picking up a one-owner 96,000-mile 1.4 SE tomorrow, now I will be looking through all the paperwork to see what's been done on the car, but as I'm new to A2 ownership I would like advice on what could need doing and if I can do it myself? Also, what is a good source of parts?

I didn't see any stickies with this info and had a quick look through some threads, so apologise in advance as this must have been asked a thousand times.

Also is there a way to find out what an SE comes with as standard equipment?

Also is there a way to find out what an SE comes with as standard equipment?

Audi listed the following as coming with the SE spec:
6J x 16 six spoke alloy wheels
Chorus II CD player / radio
Door sill trims
Front and rear tailored mats
Front fog lights
Illuminated vanity mirrors
Leather handbrake cover
Leather gear knob and gaiter
Leather rimmed steering wheel
Luggage compartment floor

Those were additional to the base spec features.

Perfect... Was climate control an optional extra on the SE?
I copied that list from the May 2002 price list. I believe that climate control was added to the SE spec for later model years. In May 2002 it was a £1250 option.

Picking up a one-owner 96,000-mile 1.4 SE tomorrow, now I will be looking through all the paperwork to see what's been done on the car, but as I'm new to A2 ownership I would like advice on what could need doing and if I can do it myself? Also, what is a good source of parts?

You need to start with a full VCDS scan

If your exhaust is still original, it will almost certainly be choked with internal rust, and a cat back replacement will be needed.

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your membership to access the market section of the site

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase :) You're in the right place for knowledge and advice about any aspect of A2 ownership and maintenance.

I believe late 2002 was the changeover time from the cast to the pressed front lower suspension arms. Check them: if you've got the pressed ones you'll see removeable balljoints attached by three bolts. If so, get the arms changed if you don't have history showing this has already been done, as they rust out from the inside resulting in catastrophic failure. If you've got the cast arms, the balljoints are integral and can't be replaced separately, so check the condition of their rubber covers and change those at the first signs of perishing.

Changing suspension arms is a DIY proposition but many people will tell you how much fun they getting the old bushes out and the new ones in.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Very useful garage for all matters A2 is B&F Autos down in West Hounslow. Contact there is Gary. They really know their stuff and don't charge silly money. Fantastic to capture a one owner car, well done indeed.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Welcome aboard. Very useful garage for all matters A2 is B&F Autos down in West Hounslow. Contact there is Gary. They really know their stuff and don't charge silly money. Fantastic to capture a one owner car, well done indeed.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Thank you for this, that was going to be one of my next questions, as to a reliable person to do services and anything else, will probably book it in to get it checked over and see if anything needs doing.

You need to start with a full VCDS scan

If your exhaust is still original, it will almost certainly be choked with internal rust, and a cat back replacement will be needed.

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your membership to access the market section of the site
As far as I can tell, it had a cat replacement already and the cambelt was done 9/2017 or 10,000 miles ago, so is the cambelt a perishable item from age or use as 10k miles should be fine I would have thought no.

Already upgraded and having a nosy around the market place.

The cambelt is age sensitive and should be changed at four years/40000 miles. Some say five years/50000. This is whichever comes first.

To avoid tears at bedtime, getting cambelt and water pump done right away would seem sensible.as you are on five years.

A call to Gary would be a good plan.

Best of luck,

S

The cambelt is age sensitive and should be changed at four years/40000 miles. Some say five years/50000. This is whichever comes first.

To avoid tears at bedtime, getting cambelt and water pump done right away would seem sensible.as you are on five years.

A call to Gary would be a good plan.

Best of luck,

S
Already called and he said cambelt probably has another year on it, although he did mention that some parts are getting very hard to find, does anyone know which parts they are?

I dont mind picking up a set of spares that may or may not get used and keeping them in the garage for a rainy day.

It will be in for a general check-up with them in mid-Nov (only available time).

Perfect... Was climate control an optional extra on the SE?
Hi Si, my July 2002 1.4SE came with climate control as standard and everything in the list provided by Steve C above. Interestingly the numbers in the service manual indicate that it was also supplied with a space saver spare wheel and mine came with foam and a compressor, looks like the dealer has swapped it out.

Last edited:
I copied that list from the May 2002 price list. I believe that climate control was added to the SE spec for later model years. In May 2002 it was a £1250 option.

I've now looked at a 2004 price list which shows that (at least in theory) climate control remained a £1250 option. But dealers clearly offered it as an additional no cost benefit to SE purchasers, presumably to promote sales.

I've now looked at a 2004 price list which shows that (at least in theory) climate control remained a £1250 option. But dealers clearly offered it as an additional no cost benefit to SE purchasers, presumably to promote sales.
Hi Steve ... I think in my case they offset some of that cost by holding on to the space saver spare wheel 🤣

Got me thinking there Steve, just checked my invoice ... total cost £12750 including rear mud flaps at £92.03, metallic paint and electronic climate control itemised as £212.77 + Vat @17.5% in July 2002.

As already said, Gary will look after you. We have used Gary a lot and he has become a friend, very good honest guy.

Also, my daughters A2 was registered in Jan 2004, 53 reg, and still has the original cast track control arms/wishbones. When I checked, the build date was Feb 2002. I'm telling you this as the reg doesn't always coincide with the build date, so check those arms regardless.

We are in Staines, whereabouts are you?

Ian

As already said, Gary will look after you. We have used Gary a lot and he has become a friend, very good honest guy.

Also, my daughters A2 was registered in Jan 2004, 53 reg, and still has the original cast track control arms/wishbones. When I checked, the build date was Feb 2002. I'm telling you this as the reg doesn't always coincide with the build date, so check those arms regardless.

We are in Staines, whereabouts are you?

Ian
We are in the Dulwich area so easy to get across to Gary.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-04 at 20.15.25.jpg

So the good stuff...

Electrics seem to work fine
Inside and out needs a clean and polish to remove dirt and a few light scratches.
lights are good but need me to bring them back.
It has climate control
Its got a black interior rather than the grey "I show all stains" interior.
The blue is gorgeous.
Serviced every year on the dot irrespective of the miles done (last done in June)

The Bad stuff:
Alloys have a few scratches
A little bit of lacquer coming off on the strip above the door (on the roof)
The gearbox is like porridge as it seems the springs are gone, so need to do a quick fix
She has acid for sweat and the control switches have been worn away (I'm sure there is a fix for that)
I had to disable the front right disc brake as the pistons kept the caliper engaged, yes I did drive home on 1 disc and 2 drums (hence the cap missing)
The water pump and belts were done in 2017/ 10,000 miles ago.

Back