1.4 SE repairs n stuff

AlvaroP

Evening.

Pleased to have just got the recently acquired 1.4 SE back from full service check and have a few minor items that I'm consider fixing that I'm trying to prioritse costs for. If anyone has thoughts on whether the following might be repairable or any good condition parts that might be available here if not:

'Tailgate struts weak' - I'm not sure if these can be repaired, or if once they go weak then they are on their way out for good?

'Drivers side front shock absorber slightly damp' - I'm assuming this means it's lost some of its capacity to absorb shocks, but if I need to replace it, any suggestions for a good match with the original shocks on a 2005 Petrol 1.4 SE?

'Both front flexi brake hoses starting to split but not down to inner cords' - no idea what these are yet, currently researching...

'Both rear bump stops perishing and splitting' Is it worth seeking out original parts to replace these, or are the third party options decent?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers, Al

The shocks at the front need to be changed in pairs and it would be really sill to not replace the top mounts whilst you are there they are around£30 each side and regularly fail and arena lot of labour to replace. Whilst doing the front struts/shock absorbers you have to remove the top mount
The rear bump stops are fitted to the rear shock absorber and I would highly recommend replacing them as well as new fronts and old tears will not be good. The bump stops are separate to the shocks but like the top mounts are easily changed whilst replacing the rear shocks
Front break flex pipes are a rather critical part of the breaking system that’s are around£15 per side
The shocks and struts are personal choice regarding which ones to fit suggest doing a search on this forum for the pros and cons of different makes
You will also want to replace the drop links on the front as they are normally worn bc and rarely come of the struts without totalling them
The drop links and top mount want to be mylie that will be the wrong spelling and you want the HD versions
Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @depronman that's very helpful. I'll be looking into the options you mention, the brake hoses are being done imminently as a priority, sound advice. Cheers. Al

The tailgate struts are the least of your problems but are cheap enough. I (and several others) bought these aftermarket struts off eBay:

and found them a good match to the originals and decent quality.

Front shocks - Bilstein B4s are excellent if you don't want to pay through the nose. Springloaded have had the best prices recently. For most of the rest of the suspension parts you can do a lot worse than Febi-Bilstein (ie rear bump stops) or Meyle as recommended by Paul above.

All you need is a flat blade screwdriver, just push it under the band and twist and the retention clip will pop off, note watch the boot doesn’t fall on your head when you take the first one off, 5 min job for the pair and very satisfying.
Open the hatch fully, and prop it up safely, before you start the removal of the old struts.
The struts make you think it's quite light.... it isn't.
Mac.

Back