1.4 TDI (75) Service Intervals

Robthebank

Hi all, unfortunately I didn't get a service book with my car although I doubt the info I want is in there anyway, for those of you doing high annual mileage >20K what service intervals are you sticking to?
I see large ranges quoted on here and I'm keen to get the info in one place, from what I see:
Oil and Filter 8k-18k = I expect 10k is a good number for high regular use and quality oil.
Air Filter ?? = I expect every-other oil change so 20K.
Fuel Filter 20k-40K = I expect every 20K and pay for it buy using supermarket fuel.
Cam Belt 40-80K = I expect 60K or max 5 years from last change.
Pollen Filter ?? = I expect 40k or 2 years.
Gearbox oil 40-never = I expect 40k as its cheap and easy and makes a notable difference.
Coolant is done with the water pump / cam-belt change plus when we have to fix the thermostat, so don't worry about that.
Brake fluid, in cars of this age we will need a new caliper or brake hose soon, so just change it then.
*Edit* Oil pump chain and sprockets kit 150-250k = Fall in line with the Cam Belt for best value for money (*Only bother if you are in for the long term or have invested lots of time and money in your car)
Anything else worth changing as a matter of preventative maintenance?

Last edited:
Not a diesel owner. but I see occasional posts about long term preventative maintence of the renewal of the oil pump chain with TDI's.

Andy

Not a diesel owner. but I see occasional posts about long term preventative maintence of the renewal of the oil pump chain with TDI's.

Andy
Definitely worth it - mine was done at 245,000 miles and wasn't too bad, but I've heard of one that failed at 150,000.

Yes I was thinking about that, but to have the work done at a garage it would be close to the value of the car, so I’m not sure how viable that is as a preventative maintenance action?

I would get it done the next time the timing belt is done.

My local guy who has been working on my cars for 15 years charged me £335 Labour to do the clutch/DMF, timing belt kit and waterpump, oil pump chain and all sprockets etc, fit a set of coilovers and do a wheel speed sensor. So if you can find the right place, it needn't cost you an arm and a leg. From memory if think the full kit was around £120.

£335 for doing all of that is amazing value! There's no way I'd get it done for anything close to that, around this neck of the woods.

I would get it done the next time the timing belt is done.

My local guy who has been working on my cars for 15 years charged me £335 Labour to do the clutch/DMF, timing belt kit and waterpump, oil pump chain and all sprockets etc, fit a set of coilovers and do a wheel speed sensor. So if you can find the right place, it needn't cost you an arm and a leg. From memory if think the full kit was around £120.
My daughter lives in pentyrch so if I need major work it would be worth making a trip up for couple of days not far from you Steve is your mechanic in aberdare???

Back