1.4i which oil?

Mihai

Apologies everyone, this is one of those topics that has been discussed to death but I somehow can't draw a relevant conclusion for my situation.

Last I checked the oil on my 1.4i A2 was low-ish (around the bottom of the "b" section of the dipstick). Should I attempt to top up myself and if so what should I use?

I notice the last two services in the book don't have the LongLife box ticked.

I notice the last two services in the book don't have the LongLife box ticked.

Who did those last two services? Have you established whether or not they are genuine? What does the oil look like on the dipstick?

Who did those last two services? Have you established whether or not they are genuine? What does the oil look like on the dipstick?
Oil looks brown on the dipstick.

The last two services were 07/19 by Salek Motors and 10/18 by Pol-Garage in Portsmouth. They both have the oil change box ticked and the one in 2018 says all filters changed. Not sure how I can establish if they were genuine or not.

Oil looks dark brown in the dipstick.

The last two services were 07/19 by Salek Motors and 10/18 by Pol-Garage in Portsmouth. They both have the oil change box ticked and the one in 2018 says all filters changed. Not sure how I can establish if they were genuine or not.

The Salek Motors one almost certainly isn't, given your experience with their MoTs. Probably best to have an oil change done asap. Oil that was last changed in July should not have significantly darkened yet, unless you've done a very high mileage.

Regardless of whether or not you use longlife 507.00 oil (I do) you do need to stick to changing the oil at least once a year. Use an oil from a major brand if you're buying it yourself.

i've picked up castrol edge 5w30 on sale and it seems to do alright, not sure if it meets all the specs but not had any issues with odd sounds (other than existing ones which i still need to go sherlock holmes on!)

Also it has nice marketing blurp on it.

Back