1.4PD gearbox service help

SzeBen

Hello dear all,

I heard if the gearstick is sluggish or logy (sorry don't know the correct word for it), It's not the gearstick but the gear changing mechanism inside the gearbox. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So my question: Can somebody help me collect all the needed parts? I see there was a complete kit for this job but not anymore. And I don't know what should be bought etc.

Are you sure the problem is inside the box, or underneath the gearlever?

If the gearchange is sloppy, there is a good chance it is worn components in the mechanism linking the cables to the gearlever. See videos from dieselgeek and others on Youtube. Maybe even the bowden cable outers on the gear cables - or the cables themselve can sometimes be damaged in extreme cases.

Otherwise, water can drain onto the top of the gearbox selector mechanism and cause corrosion of the selector bearing as well as contamination of the oil inside the box. Replacement selector towers were available but they are not cheap.

For a lot of useful info see -

Thank you good sir for the info. Maybe you are right, not that expensive to change gear level, etc, will give it a try first.

With the gear lever in neutral, standing in front of the car with bonnet removed you should be able to manipulate the gearbox selector (counterweight, looks like a golf club) - up and down, and clockwise / anticlockwise to access each of the gears from R to 5. If this is not possible or is rough / tight it could indicate problems with the selector mechanism - (I had one car where this mechanism broke and I could only access R, 1 and 2 - pushing deeper into the box to access 3/4 and 5 was impossible). If this action is acceptable, then play, slop or friction in the gearchange may come from the cables or gear lever mechanism - it is at this point that you need to consider replacement of bushings in the cable mechanism.

best of luck!!

Back