[1.6 FSI] - Death Pipe Replaced - Now Huge Leak.

Evripidis

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas please so anyone that knows anything please let me know.

I replaced the death pipe along with a tonne of other things. Replaced with a genuine part with brand new o-rings both sides.

Leaks like mad.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Evros

I did mine on a 1.4 Twice..... becuase

I had a cheap, common on eBay pipe and the bottom seal had some mould falshing on it and it diddnt seal! GRRRRRR!

As you used genuine parts id say you need to check the stat housing is correctly seated, that you fitted the little c-clip on the top of the pipe OK and just general visual checks for leaks around the hoses.

I spend ages under mine looking for that first leak, was no fun at all as its a fiddly sod of a job so repeating its not fun at all. Good luck.

Hi @carbore

Thanks for replying. I went back to pulling things apart until I could see anything at all. The bottom and the top of the pipe were fine but the hose connecting the header tank to the housing was weeping badly. It can be seen seeping on bottom of the C-clip of the main pipe. This made me think that it was indeed the death pipe having been messed with lastly. The hose looks fine but maybe I did not do the clip tight enough. It was a pretty consistent leak even without any pressure inside the system so it must be that. I dread the though of it being anything else.

Thanks again.

Evros

Hi @carbore

Thanks for replying. I went back to pulling things apart until I could see anything at all. The bottom and the top of the pipe were fine but the hose connecting the header tank to the housing was weeping badly. It can be seen seeping on bottom of the C-clip of the main pipe. This made me think that it was indeed the death pipe having been messed with lastly. The hose looks fine but maybe I did not do the clip tight enough. It was a pretty consistent leak even without any pressure inside the system so it must be that. I dread the though of it being anything else.

Thanks again.

Evros
Hi Evros, Just doing my Death Pipe reading... before I attempt any work... did you confirm what your issue was ?

The housing mating surface had deformed. I lapped it and then used red gasket maker and it did not leak anymore. You cannot get the o-ring new by the way, out of stock.

Mind you, the cylinder head on ours had serious corrosion issues in that area.

You cannot get the o-ring new by the way, out of stock.

Do you mean No Longer Available (NLA) ?

Appreciate o-rings can be made to different specs but I'm assuming given the dimensions a replacement can be obtained by a different supplier.
Is it a special profile/shape?

Back