[1.6 FSI Stray Earth Cable] - Cannot find where cable attaches to.

Evripidis

Hi all,

I've just gone through a tonne of servicing on the A2 and after putting it all back together I cannot find where the following cable attaches to:

it is the cable that runs from the alternator to an area near the starter.

I cannot find where it used to be so any 1.6 owners, can you please respond !!??

Regards,
Evros

Are you talking about the main engine earth cable. If so it links the starter to a chassis bolt on the left chassis rail located behind the left headlight unit to the side of the ABS pump.

Here are some pictures. Thanks @Birdfish

Hi Guy's,

Here are some photo's that may take to mystery out of locating this Earth point, hope it help's.

Cheers

A2 EARTH 1.jpgA2 EARTH 2.jpgA2 EARTH 3.jpgA2 EARTH 4.jpgA2 EARTH 5.jpgA2 EARTH 6.jpgA2 EARTH 7.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I am talking about this cable:

IMG_20210824_211706_644.jpg

Have you looked for and found the earthing point on the left chassis rail? The lead does look very similar to that. Look down behong the left headlight until you can see the chassis rail, now follow the rail until almost in line with the ABS pump. That is the rough area you will find the lead. Use the above pictures to compare to your car and gain your bearings to locate it.

Have you looked for and found the earthing point on the left chassis rail? The lead does look very similar to that. Look down behong the left headlight until you can see the chassis rail, now follow the rail until almost in line with the ABS pump. That is the rough area you will find the lead. Use the above pictures to compare to your car and gain your bearings to locate it.
OK, this one is attached!

Just read again your post. So you are saying the other end is connected to the ALTERNATOR? If so then possibly does connect to the starter, again a better picture with a more overall view then close ups would help.

Does this manual page help you...

Could well be the B+ line from the alternator. NOT an earth.

Last edited:
Hi,

Dear God. I never thought about checking the alternator terminals. It is the B+ terminal!

So the starter must have two connections on it? One going back to the battery and one to the starter?

Are these on the same post on the starter or do they connect elsewhere

Many thanks for pointing this one out. I must be tired.

EDIT: It must be part number 8Z0 971 349 N

The diagram doesn't show the connection though.

Regards,
Evros

Last edited:
If it is the B+ line I recall that being bolted onto a post on the starter that also has the battery positive lead on it. If it is indeed that line make sure it does not come into contact with the engine block or chassis. Please recheck before you connect it anywhere.

Thanks for your response. Will do. I did get a couple of sparks when I was taking it out!

This must be it. Cable memory sort of takes it in that area anyway but I was not entirely certain hence the post.

Thanks to everybody for their responses.

Evros.

Glad to help. Better safe than sorry. It was the title of the post that initially threw me. Once I reread it was connected to the alternator then I realised which lead it was. Somehow I initially thought it was still connected to the starter but hanging loose. The post on the starter secures 2 leads, the first one is held on ( battery lead ) with a nut then the second fits on top secured with another nut. Be careful not to shear off the stud terminal.

Back