[1.6 FSI] - Tie Rod Replacement

Evripidis

Hi all,

I just can't get a break with this car. Took it in to get the alignment sorted but the front tie rod inner uni-joint is shot.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace with the steering rack in situ?

Regards,
Evros

Hi,

@Weetank2 thanks for the heads up.

Anybody knows whether the following will fit my 1.6 FSI, please?

It appears to be the only part I can get off ebay at a reasonable shipping cost. Nowhere to be seen on the island including VAG!!!!

Evros

Hi,

It appears to be the only part I can get off ebay at a reasonable shipping cost. Nowhere to be seen on the island including VAG!!!!

Evros
Hi Evros,
Have a look at this may be of use it comes from their search section for the 1.6 fsi.
Hth
Keith.

Hi Keith,

Thanks, I believe that what you have mentioned is the kit in which you get to replace the tie rod end as well. I did replace it 2 weeks ago so I am after the rack end only. What you have quoted appears to be the same rack end as the one I've been able to find, i.e., power steering. Also comparing to the ones on the car at the moment they are very similar.

Evros

Hi,

Evros
I believe they are correct though I haven't fitted them yet.
IMG_20201016_102936.jpg

Hi Keith,

Thanks, I believe that what you have mentioned is the kit in which you get to replace the tie rod end as well. I did replace it 2 weeks ago so I am after the rack end only. What you have quoted appears to be the same rack end as the one I've been able to find, i.e., power steering. Also comparing to the ones on the car at the moment they are very similar.

Evros
Hi Evros,
There’s a different thread size M14 on first one you linked to M12 on the one listed for the 1.6 fsi so I would check what thread is on the one you fitted
measure the o/d of the threaded section will give you the size.
Hth
Keith.

Wow, excellent feedback @damadgeruk, cheers.

@kp 115 I will have a look beforehand. I think that the kit version might be referring to the thread on the tie-rod end ball joint as opposed to the rack end version that might be referring to the thread on the track rod end.

Evros

Back