1.6 FSI with Colour DIS - what volume of oil to add when low oil warning issued?

jaffa_jim

Hello experts,

In the A2's manual, it states on p.218 "Topping up engine oil" - "Put in oil 0.5 litres at a time" and then check the dipstick. As we know, if we don't need to use the dipstick, all the better. It's a weak point on the A2 and always has been.

My question is: Given that the oil warning (amber indicator went off yesterday on a short run), how much 05W30 Castrol should I put in to get it perfectly to the top of the hatching / virtual hatching (Colour DIS) without having to pull out the dip stick or drive around a bit (to get an accurate reading from the Colour DIS)?

I'd like to take the guess work out for 1.6 FSI owners with colour DIS with this thread.

Thanks all!

You have answered your own question. Put in 0.5L at a time and calibrate the Colour DIS noting the levels after each 0.5L that way for those readings you will know how much oil is left before the low value is reached. Was it a true low oil level or triggered by the car cornering or on an incline?

I have a1.4 Sport with colour DIS. I know this is probably not relevant to 1.6 or diesel owners but I have just had it serviced and the level is 54mm. I would be interested in hearing from anyone out there who can comment on what the optimum level is.

My DIS says minimum is 31mm.

@Exe_Chris - I have no idea. No visible leaks or advisories reported by my mechanic.

I don't know if the Proboost flaps 'deletion' causes more oil to be used, but that is the only other difference I can think of.

I'll mention this to him as he did recently do an oil change/service three months ago.

The cam cover would be one of the usual suspects. Mine is a little bit leaky, but not enough to warrant doing anything about so I'll just wait until the next timing belt change.

@Exe_Chris - I have no idea. No visible leaks or advisories reported by my mechanic.

I don't know if the Proboost flaps 'deletion' causes more oil to be used, but that is the only other difference I can think of.

I'll mention this to him as he did recently do an oil change/service three months ago.
Check what oil, and how much, he used.
If it's not leaking, and it was there post oil change, it must be being burnt, but I think you'd have seen the smoke if so.
Mac.

This thread hasn't gone the way I thought it would. I thought my question was specific enough to get a definitive answer.
I think that's what you'll only get from the dipstick. That's a real physical measurement of the oil level. Any other reading is only an indication, dependant on sensor and software,
If it agrees with the DIS, then fine. If not, it'll need calibrating I assume.
Mac.

Already gave you the definitive answer. Cross refer it to the dip stick especially when near the full level.

My dipstick is virtually unreadable and therefore one of the most useful features of the colour DIS is the oil level reading. I am using a reference of 54mm for future oil checks but it would be nice for people with other engines to post a reference level if they have one.

I think this is maybe what jaffa_jim is trying to find out (please correct me if am wrong).

I'd like to know how the (Colour DIS) oil level is actually measured. Which sensor/sensors is the source.
Just curious.
Mac.

My dipstick is virtually unreadable and therefore one of the most useful features of the colour DIS is the oil level reading. I am using a reference of 54mm for future oil checks but it would be nice for people with other engines to post a reference level if they have one.

I think this is maybe what jaffa_jim is trying to find out (please correct me if am wrong).
@Providence - Thank you!

This is precisely what I was attempting to achieve with this thread. I thought it'd be really helpful for all us FSI users with Colour DIS to know exactly how much oil to add when the low oil sensor goes off.

I know @timmus doesn't own an FSI (YET...! ;)) so I wouldn't expect him to know how much we need to add for the optimal amount of oil.

I did think there'd be a few FSI owners with colour DIS who have the optimum amount of oil required dialled in. I am assuming that the sensor is in a fixed position in the oil pan, of course.

Like you, the dipstick on both my petrol A2s has to be the weakest feature on the car. And I've owned A2s for 19 years straight, by now.

I can't figure out how you get an accurate figure for oil level without a continuous reading sensor (like the fuel gauge). I believe there is a low level sensor, and oil pressure of course, but I don't think there's a sensor that measures the level in real time.
I'm probably wrong, but I would like to have an explanation of where the displayed level comes from.
Someone must know, if not, I'd be worried.
Mac.

I don't think there's a sensor that measures the level in real time
There is indeed. Whereas the oil pressure switch is simply binary (enough pressure vs. not enough pressure), the oil level sensor is not a simple switch but a proper gauge.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
There is indeed. Whereas the oil pressure switch is simply binary (enough pressure vs. not enought pressure), the oil level sensor is not a simple switch but a proper gauge.

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks, I am informed and reassured. Does it need calibrating, or does the ECU keep an eye on it?
Also, is this sensor on all A2s, or just FSIs?
Mac.

Last edited:
Back