17" tyre recomendations please

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
I would very much like to put the original 17" wheels back on my A2 sport but have been reluctant so far due to comfort issues. Does anyone have any recommendations for tyre makes which may provide a more sedate ride and give good rim protection . Cheers, Dave :)

Last edited:
It's subjective but if you go through the reviews certain tyres will float to the top for comfort.

As an allrounder these are good at 17" and not too pricey @ £77 each for a top premium tyre.

135234-141275-main--3878.jpg

I use Goodyear eagle f1 A3 on my RS4 wheels I have used eagle f1s on my cars for 10 years excellent tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys...I know the makes I, m happy with for the 15 and 16 inch wheels but I've never bought for the 17",s so any help is appreciated.

To my mind the normal 205/40/17 tyre must be akin to the days of horse and cart with a steel hoop on the wooden wheels. [Reminds me of a Mr. & Mrs. Kart calling their son Orsen]

Several members earlier in the year advocated an increase in sidewall from the normal 205/40/17 to 205/45/17 was noticeably more comfortable, difficult to believe but they seemed adamant. Downside is possible rubbing on full lock but this seemed to depend on the "freshness" of and suspension set up, but how often do use full lock? Anyway decided to try it. Others as you know run others.

Not sure if you want opinion on tyre manufacture or size or both.

Andy

It depends on tyre width as well as profiles. From experience the 2.8 80 final edition cabriolets run on 225/40 x 17 on 7J x 17 bolero wheels, ours does and is factory. Thats a very low profile for an Audi 80 given it's prone to wear lower front arm bushes and top mounts. Yet it never feels uncomfortable at all on the Goodyear asymmetric 2 F1 i managed to find earlier this year as they have a very good rim protector a little bit better than the 3.

It's actually very comfortable ride even on factory lowered sport suspension and i believe the 3 is slightly better on that count and also a bit quiter too.

The key here is the tyre width in relation the the (J) width of the rim. :)

I'm running Vredesteins at the moment, and agree with A2Steve - they are certainly good, and the ride is much more compliant, hardly different from the standard 16". The only issue that I have is that the fuel consumption dropped off by about 10%.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 215/40/17 for me on my QT wheels (I do like the look of the chevron directional pattern - that probably clouds my judgement). I keep my eye out for bargain prices online and usually get them for £70- 80, I once even got them from QuikFit when they were doing a £40 refund from Goodyear for a set.
I find that anything narrower leaves the rims protruding too much and vulnerable. I did have Pirelli P zero nero 205/40/17 once but they did not look or feel right to me. I also tried Maxxis once but they ended up lumpy around the tyre surface - I drive 1 mile each day along a rough farm track and think that did them in. One of my Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres I have just taken off for winter is a bit lumpy around one side of the tyre surface, but it's the only time that I have experienced this with these tyres.
I guess I have just got used to the 'comfort' issue over the years of driving my A2 on 17" wheels that it just does not bother me any more.

Hi have had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires 205/45/17 on my RS4 wheels on my A2 for the last year and a half. I'm very happy with the performance both with grip and noise. I also have the F1 Asymmetric 2 on my MK1 TT and changing to those improved the handling. I previously had Pirelli P Zero Nero and they seemed to accentuate the back end breakaway trait of the TT and also ended up going "lumpy" so I had to change them before they wore out. I chose the Goodyear for the A2 because of how good they were on the TT.

I have to say however that the Goodyear tires on the 17" RS4 wheels did not work very well in the frozen snow last year and as I live on a hill I will be switching to pepper pots and proper winter tires.

Regards

Andrew

I have to say however that the Goodyear tires on the 17" RS4 wheels did not work very well in the frozen snow last year and as I live on a hill I will be switching to pepper pots and proper winter tires.
I don't think summer tyres are much use in the snow so I have a second set of 17" wheels with 'Nexen winguard sport' tyres on them which can be got at a reasonable price online.
My wife now uses all weather tyres though since getting a car that already had them on. She did fine last year when it snowed, so that would also be an option.

Back