195 55 16 yes/no?

PeterM

Hi all,

I am not entirely sure if this size really fit, it is not on the ''definite sticky thread'' but as I searched through other posts there are several confirmations that this tyre size is ok and without any rubbing (for example on TT 16 7J ET31 wheels) but I would be really greatful if this is confirmed.

I have new winter tyres in this size and have to buy the wheels but am hesitating to buy without being sure tyres will fit the A2 :)

Thanks and KR Peter

p.s. new member, will create the introduction post for my ebony black 1.6 FSI later :)

I had 195 55 R16 on standard SE wheels for the first five years of A2 ownership, simply because that size was on when I bought it. I bought new tyres in the first week after collecting it and, knowing nothing about definitive sizes back then, went for the same size. They didn't cause any problems and the speedo was absolutely accurate.
Seeing as you already have the tyres, my view that, after changing to 185 50 R16, the car was much better to drive is irrelevant.

I have a set of summer and a set of winters in this size - they work fine. As above, the former ones came with the car when purchased, and I got the same size in winters for the same reason.

I'll repeat myself - these are 4% bigger than standard and your technical inspection may accept this, they may not. They are too big for my liking on poor roads or loaded. I had minor rubbing issues with 215 40 17s at et 35 at the front. Et 31 will help bring them out. 7j is upper limit for 195, and you will have minimal rim protection. You can also forget chains with this size if that's important.

- Bret

Back