2001 AUA Shudder

mykl

So, I’ve read through many posts but all that I can see appear to relate to TDI shudder. Apologies if a well trodden road.

I bought a cheap non running 2001 A2 AUA with 133k on the clock as a bit of lockdown fun and and slowly getting it on the road. I’ve managed to get it started. Result! Wouldn’t rev, but a recondition cycle of the battery and it now revs. Result! Just awaiting the new alternator to arrive and I’ll fit it as there wasn’t one.

I went to service it today. The oil filter looked brand new, oil clear and I pulled the air filter. Not a smudge on it. Result!

As no alternator I can’t drive it so I put it onto the ramps for a look underneath and it has an almighty shudder under load. None when revving in neutral which is reassuring. So I reckon clutch related.
Before I order a new one and arrange for it to be replaced am I right in thinking clutch / flywheel. Not a DMF so clutch could be munched.

Anything else I need to look at before I target clutch? Worth noting when I bought it it wouldn’t rev at all albeit idled nicely. I put it down to a low battery and no alternator!

Any feedback gratefully received. I know my Land Rovers better than my A2’s. I get a bit of a nosebleed at front wheel drive and gearboxes not mounted behind the engine... I do love an A2. This is our 3rd. Yes I know I shouldn’t have sold the tdi...

michael (mykl)

If it’s been stud some time likely rusty flywheel and clutch cover. Get it so you can drive it and abuse the clutch a few times to clean up the rust etc. Then see if it gets any better
If it is the clutch it’s a simple old school clutch and solid flywheel
Fit an LUK if changing. Original oem fit
Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know the history to it but at £150 it was worth a punt of I can get it running for a couple of hundred quid. It’s overall in pretty good order. Few scuffs externally but internally immaculate.

It was MOT’d up to January this year but I don’t think driven since September/October 2019. Not too long tbf. Hopefully the alternator will arrive tomorrow / Thursday and I can give it a rattle on the road and see if it free’s up. I don’t hold much hope as pretty bad.

On the lookout for a tdi again after having this on the driveway!

If the clutch is rusty good chance the brakes are the same. Check them out before you drive in anger. Check driveshafts and even the wheels for added piece of mind. Pity the old alternator even if dead was not available from the last owner. Release bearings can bind up due to lack of use ( or too much use ).

If the clutch is rusty good chance the brakes are the same. Check them out before you drive in anger. Check driveshafts and even the wheels for added piece of mind. Pity the old alternator even if dead was not available from the last owner. Release bearings can bind up due to lack of use ( or too much use ).
Wheels coming off tomorrow for a peek! You’re absolutely right.
No alternator has been brain damage. Couldn’t believe so hard to find. The lucasee.com site was a godsend! Couple of clicks and I had a perfect match (I hope)! I then got greedy and upgraded to a 110 amp.

This isn’t a long term A2. I bought this to relieve boredom during lockdown and to get it running as was lying in a friends yard which he was going to break. I plan to use in Scotland for work as I don’t want to fly in the short term. I have my eye on a 75hp tdi which I think will fit the bill nicely alongside my A6 Avant S Line, Range Rover Classic, MG Midget and Austin A35! ??

I think we will be taking bets on "this isn't a long term A2", pretty sure at the price once the gremlins are out it will become a keeper even if it only used in Bonnie Scotland. 110 amp will not cause a problem, quite the opposite if the car is going to be stationary for long period it will pump more back into the battery.

Get it driving then consider doing a brake and clutch fluid flush and refill, and a coolant flush refill. Bet they have not been done in ages.

I think we will be taking bets on "this isn't a long term A2", pretty sure at the price once the gremlins are out it will become a keeper even if it only used in Bonnie Scotland. 110 amp will not cause a problem, quite the opposite if the car is going to be stationary for long period it will pump more back into the battery.

Get it driving then consider doing a brake and clutch fluid flush and refill, and a coolant flush refill. Bet they have not been done in ages.
Hilarious! You’re probably right. Once I pump some money into it it could end up being a longer term and I’ll lose that bet. I am pretty fond of it to be fair. only downside is no a/c. In NI, I’m sure I’ll cope. I live less than a mile from work!

I simply can’t understand why they don’t have a bigger following. They are truly brilliant cars and way over engineered!

Noted on the fluids.

No a/c not really all that bad. The heater is good and demist quite quickly. Plus you do not get the usual long list of issues VCDS picks up on the a/c.

These cars were expensive when new, so for the money you could get something larger (better?) from other manufacturers. The press did not really get behind them and the scare tactics used about sealed engines the owners could not get into all played their part in keeping sales volume low at 176,000 sold compared to Mercedes A class of 1,000,000 plus sold.

No a/c not really all that bad. The heater is good and demist quite quickly. Plus you do not get the usual long list of issues VCDS picks up on the a/c.

These cars were expensive when new, so for the money you could get something larger (better?) from other manufacturers. The press did not really get behind them and the scare tactics used about sealed engines the owners could not get into all played their part in keeping sales volume low at 176,000 sold compared to Mercedes A class of 1,000,000 plus sold.
Better to keep owners out of the engine. Most wouldn’t know what to do with them anyway! That’s reassuring about the non a/c. It’s just the norm now and expected. Even my 1984 Range Rover Classic has it. Doesn’t work but has it and looks good lol

Great forum this with really helpful folk. Chuffed to bits. Now adding to my list of to do’s as I type.

The alternator arrived today. Goodness, that spring is strong! Used a ratchet int he end to pull it down enough to get the bolt in. All worked out.

A quick spin down the road and an initial shudder pulling away in first each time, but seems to run pretty well. A few rattles from under neath at the front, so suspect bushes, but not sure. I'll pull the wheels off tomorrow for a look. Definitely needs discs and pads and flexi on exhaust replaced. Fuel smelling sharp from exhaust but hasn't run for a while.

All in £250 spent including purchase and replacing the alternator and fuel filler switch so appears to be a lot of car for the money.

I still want a tdi, so will be keeping an eye out for one as a daily run around, keeping the A6 avant for longer drives.

Good result. The most likely cause of knocking at the front would be drop links or anti roll bar bushes.

Yeah really happy ?? I’ll get it on a set of stands tomorrow for a good look and prod about. For what I paid I expect a few gremlins tbf!

Drop links and anti roll bar seem tight with no movement. I see the heat shield is loose as bottom fixing seems to have corroded. Could be that.

This shudder must be the clutch. Do flywheels tend to give problems?

Back