2004 1.4 TDI Sport new owner

froggy

Hello to my fellow A2 enthusiasts, hope you are all doing ok. Im back in for my 3rd A2 after a few years away (I know basically a newbie compared to some of you) I’ve left a deposit and awaiting the current owner sorting an MOT for hopefully my new Dolphin? Grey 2004 1.4 TDI Sport. (2004 = BHC engine??) It has a number of things which I’ve never had like full DIS, 205/40/17 wheels, sports seats, Symphony? stereo, lumbar support and even the heater blower works (aircon probably wont hopefully it doesnt need a new compressor) I’ve changed a heater blower before and on a right hand drive A2 it’s not fun. Would never have managed without the legend that is Sarge.

I have some cash to spare for the inevitable repairs - fifth gear is a bit stiff and it will need all new filters and fluids, cambelt etc… (it’s also been stood for a long time and we stupidly took it for a short test drive without checking the coolant, which must have been very low as smoke poured out the passenger side of the engine as it burnt away ?.)

If the engine survives our stupidity, what would be the first preventative maintenance tasks I should take care of/check for wear etc. Also do some members still offer cruise retro fit and remap services? I can’t wait to get back behind the wheel of an A2 again, there is just something about them that I’ve never come close to feeling in any other car. Thanks in advance to any members who can help - it feels good to be back!

Rob.

Welcome back, and good to see you have kept a small space in your heart for these alu bullets! I also feel the same about going from an A2 to a different car, and always find myself being pulled back to my keeper, nothing else has floated my boat as yet!

I still remember driving my first A2 TDI away from the dealers around 2005/6, it was a 52 plate with less than 50k on the clock and nothing has beaten that memory of how different and amazing it felt to drive, from anything I’d driven before. I was instantly hooked on the torque and drive. Although it could be rose tinted glasses, for me, even a test day with an Audi R8 couldn't quite match that experience!

Also do some members still offer cruise retro fit…
Hi Froggy,

Welcome back to A2 ownership. These cars definitely have a mystical draw. ?

You can get an overview of the services that I offer in this thread…

Kind regards,

Tom

Thank you for all the replies, I’m based in Cheshire so another a2oc legend - Tom - will be closest to me I think - if he has time to fit me in that is! Well I need to get hold of the car first before I get ahead of myself, but even if this one doesn’t work out I’m definitely coming back to the amazing A2.

Thank you for all the replies, I’m based in Cheshire so another a2oc legend - Tom - will be closest to me I think - if he has time to fit me in that is! Well I need to get hold of the car first before I get ahead of myself, but even if this one doesn’t work out I’m definitely coming back to the amazing A2.
Distance is but a number, if you want the best you sometimes need to travel, it's 324 miles from my home to Tom's but the quality of work and effortless return trip will be worth every penny. I hope you get your A2 and fit one of the best mods for the car hands down?

Welcome home Rob, it is amazing how many regret selling Audi’s best kept secret and return, myself included. For a small unassuming hatchback, they ooze charm, appeal and desire by the bucketload. Look forward to the obligatory pictures to come. ?

Well finally I have the keys to my Dolphin Grey AMF TDi Sport (not sure about the s line badge!?) A split hose from the oil cooler and no V5 as yet means I can’t drive her ?. A full flush of the coolant system and brand new G12 will be the first job. Still the sports seats are a revelation and there is a distinctive A2 smell inside that brings back lots of memories! The alloys will need a refurb, (amazingly I have 2 out of 4 centre caps) new discs and drums, cambelt waterpump filters etc are next up after that. I think a turbo at some point as preventative maintenance, after reading the horror story about Tank. I’ve been told there are only around 600 of these left in the UK so I feel its a good project to keep her going as long as possible. Lots of pictures and detail about all of that to follow - call me crazy but I can’t wait!!

Attachments

• 99982FF5-28F3-4425-8A7C-9B0058FD7F9B.png
    99982FF5-28F3-4425-8A7C-9B0058FD7F9B.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 674A10E7-7AF4-4303-883B-752206CF9C48.png
    674A10E7-7AF4-4303-883B-752206CF9C48.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 4A09E16A-8254-46CA-8946-84DCE325D937.jpeg
    4A09E16A-8254-46CA-8946-84DCE325D937.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 95
If has a potential coolant leak and needs the timing belt which no doubt includes water pump I would simply put water in it, bleed it and run it. Thermostat and coolant temp sensor are always worth replacing before g12 refill too

Good point - not worth putting good coolant in only to have to drain it for cambelt kit in a few weeks time. Time to go shopping for the thermostat and temp sensor ??

Back