2004 1.6 FSI Sport

N8P

A big hello to you all!, been browsing the site for a wee while but took the plunge & just bought my first A2 a 2004 1.6 FSI Sport, which i drove back up from London at the weekend returning a pleasant 44.9mpg over the 504 mile journey back up to scotland.

So have notice a flat spot lets call it a hesitation in the acceleration curve, it happens throughout the gear range. So when you put your foot gently on the accelerator & she pulls away smoothly then seems to plateau before regaining acceleration. For me this happen at 2.2 -2.7rpm then off she goes... i have been using shell v power.

Between 2.2 -2.7rpm it developed a judder when accelerating if you keep the revs below 2.2 & above 2.7 its fine, however if say i slow down in 2nd & the revs full between 2.2 -2.7rpm it sort of boggs down (& plateaus) with this judder. Its fine when im in 1st & pulling away, or like i said above 2.7k between gear change but otherwise its the same in every gear & there are also no lights on the dash. The car has been serviced every year or thereabouts, runs fine & once you reach the speed you want she seems to hold it fine. No dash warning lights & DIS confirms 'OK' as well.

Ok so many posts on the forum speak about the following any thoughts??

1. Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat?
2. Inlet Manifold?
2. Missfire possibly coil pack or coil unit?
3. Could it possibly a dirty throttle body miss fueling?
4. Fuel Filter?
5. Something as simple as taking the plugs out & giving them a clean?
6. Aiir leaks such as cap off/dip stick out/ vac line unconnected?

So to answer my own question I need to start by getting a VCDS scan done ASAP to see if that throws up any further error codes.
To be totally honest the seller did provided me with a photo of the OBD2 scan which was my starting point for this post & above info.

17700 163 KWP 1281 03/03
MAP CONTROLLED
ENGINE COOLING
THERMOSTAT (265)
OPEN CIRCUIT P1292

Is there anyone in the North East of Scotland that can do a VCDS scan for me?

Thanks in advance
N8P

audifan

A2OC Donor
I am pretty sure there will be someone up there that can help you out. Certainly owning your own VCDS will be an advantage to you over the coming months and years. Cheapest is VCDS Lite a free download which needs a KKL cable either cheap ( make sure it quotes VCDS lite ) on ebay or a far better cable from Gendan. Lite can be registered for more functionality at a price £75 ish. Or you could go fully fat VCDS 3 VIN version to the most expensive latest unlimited VIN version. Pop along to Ross Techs site for more information and options. You could also pick up a used genuine version again or auction sites.
The above information is worth investigating further.

Andrew

A2OC Donor
As per Audifan, if you have just the FSI and hence no other cars to consider the VCDS Lite Registered is an excellent choice. I know there are several members round the Aberdeen area but I do not know if they have VCDS and certainly they are are not on the Free Scan Register, in fact the coverage of Scotland is a bit thin to say the least! Any more volunteer scanners in Scotland???? (PM me to be added). In the meantime you could always open a separate thread for an appeal for a scan, 'Scan needed please, Aberdeen area'.

I will come back tomorrow if time allows about the thermostat fault, do you intend to do any work yourself?

Andy

N8P

Just a quick update when out driving today still no engine management light however still the flat spot.

Can only be describe it as - a hesitation in the acceleration curve between 2.2 & 2.7rpm followed by a judder which develops (as noted before) bogging the car down but i can now hear a rattle, clicky or tinny flappy noise only within that rev range.

Once out of the 2.7rpm regains acceleration pulling up through the rest of the curve.

What is this rattle, clicky or tinny flappy noise? Any thoughts

Andrew

A2OC Donor
Just a quick update when out driving today still no engine management light however still the flat spot.

Can only be describe it as - a hesitation in the acceleration curve between 2.2 & 2.7rpm followed by a judder which develops (as noted before) bogging the car down but i can now hear a rattle, clicky or tinny flappy noise only within that rev range.

Once out of the 2.7rpm regains acceleration pulling up through the rest of the curve.

What is this rattle, clicky or tinny flappy noise? Any thoughts
Apologies, I never did come to back to you on the thermostat, but I doubt that is the cause of the hesitation.

Sorry nobody has stepped forward to offer a scan, I will bump your appeal on your other thread, but until a scan all will be just speculation.

To speculate! This is a very common FSI problem and as soon as I read your first post I thought manifold flaps. I do not think anyone knows the exact rpm when the ECU shuts the flaps but experience would suggest it is not far off the range you quote. I did read not too long ago of an FSI with a broken vacuum actuator arm, the result of which meant there was nothing to pin the flaps open and therefore free to rest on the floor of the inlet ports. The owner claimed they rattled. Pointless speculation over.

If you have a Microsoft laptop download the free VCDS Lite, buy OBD cable. It will give codes but not full information but something to go on is better than nothing!

Andy

These are my thoughts too, put through a tank or so of 99 octane fuel as Terry said even a fuel injector cleaner as well and the Italian tune ups.
I'm assuming all 4 coils are firing at idle and you not running on 3? you don't want to be washing your bores with unburnt fuel. You could also check right now if the inlet manifold flaps connecting rod is attached and not broken and make sure the vacuum pipe is connected to the N316 valve.

If after this the car is still playing up then it really would be time to get a vcds done.

Phil FSI

Does it have to be a ‘Microsoft’ laptop or a laptop which can run Microsoft?
Sorry if this is confusing but just looked on eBay now and Microsoft laptops are a bit pricey

PlasticMac

Does it have to be a ‘Microsoft’ laptop or a laptop which can run Microsoft?
Sorry if this is confusing but just looked on eBay now and Microsoft laptops are a bit pricey
Any Windows pc, XP to W10 inclusive,will run VCDS Lite. Any old machine will do. Mines a 10 year old netbook. Works fine. KKL lead under a tenner on flea bay.
Mac.

ANDYT

Any Windows pc, XP to W10 inclusive,will run VCDS Lite. Any old machine will do. Mines a 10 year old netbook. Works fine. KKL lead under a tenner on flea bay.
Mac.
Hi, I had exactly the same problem, all new coils, several tanks of v-max, no engine light ( and yes, the bulb is there and working !), still a hesitation at the same revs. Fitted an A2Steve proboost ecu, cured the problem completely !!
Cheers, Andy.