30 MPg

Frogy

A2OC Donor
I am new to the A2, always wanted one, bought a 1.4 SE with 55,000 on a 2004.
First tank of fuel has returned a 30mpg, and I do not raz it, found the tyres only had 20psi in the front ones, pumped them up and will try again. I think I have a lot of work to do to get over 40mpg.
Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Frogy.

Do you have a petrol or a diesel? Petrol returns 40mpg, diesel 60mpg (though most diesel users seem to get somewhere in the 50s).

Tyre pressure will make a big difference.

Does it steer straight? If the tracking is off, that will also affect consumption.

Make sure all the filters are new, especially air and fuel filter.

Does your temperature gauge comes up to 90 degrees and stay there? If not, you might have a dodgy thermostat / temperature sender which will affect fuel consumption.

You can also keep consumption down by pressing the 'econ' button on the air conditioning.

Will be good to see what difference pumping up your tyres makes!

I am new to the A2, always wanted one, bought a 1.4 SE with 55,000 on a 2004.
First tank of fuel has returned a 30mpg, and I do not raz it, found the tyres only had 20psi in the front ones, pumped them up and will try again. I think I have a lot of work to do to get over 40mpg.
Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Frogy.

I assume yours is a Petrol. 30mpg would be quite low, I have to be on my worst driving, lots of stop start and standard petrol to get near 32mpg. So I'd say pump the tyres back to at least 30psi. Check for leaks as well. It isn't difficult to get over 40mpg, but it totally depends on your driving. I mostly do city trips that hardly hits 5th gear and so 35-37 is what I normally have with 195/50/16 tyre. Driving constant at 70mph on motorway and it goes straight to 41/2mpg easily. Free flowing A roads at 50-60mph will hit even higher mpg.

Long journeys driven, slowly and smoothly will nearly always yield very good fuel economy figures.

The car is a petrol with new cam belt and v belt.
It does steer straight and the temperature stays at 90 degrees, it will be due a 60,000 major service soon, those filters will be changed then. The car is now in my wife's capable hands as I had to return to France in my 45mpg old Mitsubishi.
Thanks for the info.
Frogy.

If the tank had originally been filled by the seller, they will usually stop filling it as soon as they reach the full marker so it'd be less than if you'd filled it yourself. So the second refill would be more realistic.

Could the cambelt be one notch out?
Might be responsible for odd cam opening/closing and more fuel going out the exhaust pipe??

Been known to happen

Posted from my iPlop...

The cam belt was fitted by a Audi mechanic; the car runs well, picks up quickly and ticks over correctly.
I fuelled up the car and re fuelled when the light came on.
Frogy

Might be worth checking rear brakes arent binding, pivot point on handbrake connection gets very sticky.
Just done mine, couldnt even move them once removed.
Stuart.

Second tank of fuel with mixed driving conditions, tyres pumped up to 30psi, has returned 39.7mpg. Will keep trying to improve without compromising driving fun!
Frogy.

Back