5 adults in car - doable?

dandare131

Hi guys, - first post on the forum.
I am contemplating buying an A2, I rented one some years ago in Germany and I quite liked it. I was driving, and I don't remember much about back seats.. and my question to anyone with the 3 seats / bench in the back is how feasible is to stuff 3 adults (average size/height) into the rear seats for short trips? I don't plan to do it often, but would like to have the option if needed.
Thanks,
Dan

That depends on their size. My partner used to take her 4 sisters in the car frequently no trouble at all. Five rugby players on the other hand would by very tight. So size does matter. you also have to consider luggage space. The type of suspension fitted as the sports suspension is lower. The full load will also affect handling, braking and performance.. Short answer is yes for shorter journeys as long as they safely fit and do not have too much luggage then the 5 seater will work. Try to put the smallest in the middle.

That depends on their size. My partner used to take her 4 sisters in the car frequently no trouble at all. Five rugby players on the other hand would by very tight. So size does matter. you also have to consider luggage space. The type of suspension fitted as the sports suspension is lower. The full load will also affect handling, braking and performance.. Short answer is yes for shorter journeys as long as they safely fit and do not have too much luggage then the 5 seater will work. Try to put the smallest in the middle.
thank you, that's good enough for me.

Welcome to the forum - as you are already finding, it's a helpful friendly place :)

For short journeys it might not be an issue for you, but only 5-seat A2's from about 2003/53 have a full 3-point belt for the middle seat. Prior to that there was just a lap belt.

Do not be too picky otherwise you never get one. Many options can be retrofitted by @timmus with a few exceptions. 5 seaters are not all that common to start with.

This was my situation a couple of months back:

Assuming the average adult is about the same width as those child seats, I imagine it'd be a tight fit for three adults in the rear seats.

Here's my 2p worth owning two five seater A2's, one with 3x3 seat belt (my silver one) and the other with the lap belt. I will be selling my azure blue 1.4tdi once i find the right 7 seater car that ticks all the right boxes.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/my-a2s-so-far.26952/

I have 3 kids....Eldest girl being 11 and 2 boys aged 9 and 6. I have an isofix chair at one side for 6 y/o and a booster chair for 9 y/o at the other leaving my eldest girl in middle. It is getting tight for them with the chairs in position but is still acceptable for now! As for carrying adults, IMO i would carry only 4 adults regardless of size as its more than adequate to cater for larger people on long journeys no problem at all. You could travel with 3 adults in back for short trips easily, so i would say go and buy one because you won't regret it....and if a five seater is still rare then my price will be going up ;) lol

..You could travel with 3 adults in back for short trips easily..
Thank you, this is basically my only reason, just to be able to pick up siblings from the train station / airport if needed etc. Hopefully I'll be in the market soon for a petrol 5-seater (maybe OSS if I'm lucky, who knows).

Back