505.01 or 507.00

Karlbar2k

What oil for a 54 plate 1.4tdi?
B&M currently have RAC branded oils
4L of 505.01 for 17.99
Or
4L of 507.00 for 22.99

I use Quantum Longlife 3 5W-30 fully synthetic.....507 00. Quite a reasonable price on ebay for 5 litres.

I think that the 505 may be more suitable for petrol cars where as the 507 suits the diesels.

I don't understand why you'd want to risk buying possibly dodgy engine oil from B&M (who have been known to sell counterfeit goods before) when you can get genuine Quantum oils from TPS for less than those prices.

507 is the latest spec and it's what you should use in your TDi - and a new filter while you're at it.

Totally agree with Skip...........long life from Audi dealer.......for the extra few quid, it makes sense every time in my eyes.

For all TDIs with fixed oil service interval it is better to use VW505.01. Change it every 10000 km and everything will be fine.

VW505.01 are basicaly only 5w-40 which suits better hot summer weather, high loads (e.g. running with full car etc.) or
VW507.00 are 5w-30 or 0w-30 suitable more for town driving and driving with empty car with few starts and long runs. All in all I would not recommend running longlife intervals (2yrs/30k km). VW 507.00 has lowered base number which stands for suitability for number of starts and short runs.

Right now I am running Ravenol VMO. Previously I run Repsol Elite TDI 505.01, Millers Oils XF Longlife 5w-40 and EE 5w-40 without any problems ;)

So is there any difference with 505.01 and 507.00 (both 5w-30) in fixed oil service for 1.4TDI (75)?

It’s funny how we all have our likes I’ve always used in the a2s we’ve had Castro’s edge 5-30 ...but changed it yearly ...in the hilux toyotas own changed twice a year but then that sometimes takes abuse ..in the Porsche turbo s only Mobil 1 ..changed every two years as it doesn’t do 500 miles a year and is in a heated dehumidified garage so no great temp change ..when I had the caterham bdr I liked the old style mineral oil such as millers changed every 3k ..is there much difference I’m not sure do we need to change as often not sure on that either ..I think again it’s quite subjective ..

So is there any difference with 505.01 and 507.00 (both 5w-30) in fixed oil service for 1.4TDI (75)?

505.01 is fine for fixed service intervals on the TDi.
I suspect the 507.00 just has a different additive formulation to cater for the build of combustion contaminants and acids in the oil over the longer service life.

Cheers Spike

I suspect the 507.00 just has a different additive formulation to cater for the build of combustion contaminants and acids in the oil over the longer service life.
NO, it does not! Parameter which reflects ability to withstand „acids“ in the oil aka lots of starts is „Total Base Number“ = TBN. Higher the number the better. The thing is that 507.00 is „universal“ oil that service can pour in any VAG car but it has some downsides. First downside, especialy for me, is that it has to be gentle for DPF (same as ACEA C3 oils). That means that some additives (e.g. ZDDP) really good for friction reduction is not present and are substituted with other substances which are not that good. Another downside is that it is not suitable for engine high loads. Upside is better viscosity stability - usualy viscosity of the oil changes during time in engine, usualy it begin to be less viscous. VW507.00 (SAE 0w or 5w-30) are better in that compared to VW505.01 (SAE 5w-40). And this is the case it is suitable for LongLife intervals = long drives, warm engine a few starts ;)

Reactions: Vic
I am asking because i see good price for two types of oil and both are 5w30 but different VAG standart. And the price is almost the same.

TOTAL Quartz Ineo MC 3 5W30 (505.01)
TOTAL Quartz Ineo L-LIFE 5W30 (507.00)

From those two I would choose MC3 for higher viscosity and higher total base number.

But personaly I would rather choose anything else in „xW-40“ range :)

Back