50mpg for a 1.4 petrol

rbrignell

Finally got there!
The car love's Total premium fuel for some reason. The extra cost is worth it due to the increase in mileage. No point putting ordinary fuel in, gave about 42mpg.
About 80% motorway driving at ave 65mph.
Have been trying different premium fuels for a while now and all give better £/mile compared to ordinary. Esso second best, Shell third, Tesco forth.

Rob

Hi Rob thats a great result just to proove you dont need to be an oil burner to have high mpg.Keep up the good work just dont forget to give it some beans once in a while to keep it clean. cheers mike

Hi Rob,
as a 1.4 owner I'd like to know what spec car, wheels tyres etc and how much ac use if any please to compare.
I agree with the use of premium, I find it quieter and smoother on it to, as if it had jus been serviced. Mine has an amost exclusive V-Power diet because there's a garage half a mile away with the added bonus of usually being the cheapest of any make in a ten mile or so radius :) Thanks for the heads up on Total though, I'll give it a try :)

Amazing, I've never had it that high. The only one time I had 1hr head start on a trip, I could afford to drive 60-65mph and got about 47mpg (two passengers, fully loaded, low 20 outside temp a/c automatic, tesco 99). I'm almost exclusively v-power, and usually 42mpg on motorways at 70 if not too warm outside. I've been on 195/50/16 tyres for a while though. V-power is by far the best for responses and driving pleasure, tesco 99 close behind, esso/total/bp premium weren't so different but all premium fuels gave noticeably more mpg than regular.

I'm using the tesco momentum 99 stuff almost all the time now, every tank gets 330-350 miles without especially trying. Factors in my favor though - 20 mile A road work commute with almost constant 45-60 speed limit, 15" wheels, only me in the car, total basic spec car so no luxury A/C draining mpg, small fuel tank must save a bit of weight too.

My commute is 13-15miles each way depending which way I go, one route has a big hill in it, traffic lights & level crossing, se on 16s with climate on, small tank...normally 270ish when the fuel light comes on. Roughly speaking it seems to do 10 miles to the litre.

Car spec for the 50mpg...
Standard model, 17" wheels, 185/50/16 tyres, tyre pressure 28psi, very little AC use, small tank, mostly driver only, minimize breaking.

I'd say the wheels have screwed your numbers, humps, as I get an average of 49 without trying too hard (climate on auto or windows open, some town work, longer trips bring it towards 53mpg). Yes, the limits aren't very high here (80-100km/h), but still... the extra 20km/h makes a huge difference over 100.

Bret

Just driven from Scarborough to Reading, 263 miles, on 23 liters of Shell V-Power - 51.9835 mpg. Mixed driving, A road, M-way and some B roads; I'm not sure that my diesel Accord Tourer would have achieved comparable mpg. We've owned our 1.6 Colour Storm for 4 months now and are constantly amazed by this little car. If only other A2 drivers would wave back!

Just managed 366miles on 31 litres ( small tank is 34L right?) which equals 53.67 miles to the gallon - Tesco 99 stuff.

I am amazed and jealous of you bret and VonB, my 2001 AUA engine just cannot deliver that sort of miles. I was being really good boy, steady on 70mpg, filled up, from B'ham to home at night, no traffic for the entire 100 miles trip. I thought I must have done well, so to fill up straight away and see. Worked out to just over 43mpg all motorway miles. I've had 280 miles from a tank before, but that was long ago with the OE Michelin 185/50/16. Something must be not quite working as it should...

Worked out to just over 43mpg all motorway miles.QUOTE]

That's the killer there Humps, if I'm doing a run to London on the motorway or even on the A303 I know it's not going to be a 'good tank' probably have to refuel arfter 290-310 miles. It's a week of regular mon-fri work commute and a weekend staying around my local area that sees the best return.

The way I imagine it is the higher ron tesco or shell stuff helps with smoother,quicker acceleration at slightly lower revs,hence a better mpg, if you sit on the motorway at a constant speed at around 3000revs, it isn't going to help you out so much.

Hi, although i am looking for a A2, I read with interest about fuel economy, my current mode of transport is a '56' reg Fiesta 1.25, I have improved MPG by ignoring manufactureres specs, I have increased tyre pressures by 3 psi, changed my engine oil to fully synthetic long life £££'s, the tyres are not wearing in the centre like they would make you believe, and achieved an extra 3mpg, I would be doing this to my A2 when I aquire it! Tip- I fitted Yokohama tyres, it sticks like glue to the road.

Just managed a new record tank 376 miles for 31.09 litres = 54.98 miles per gallon.Still using Tesco momentum - interesting part is for this whole tank I've had my undertray off (must track down some new screws!) and recently I've been changing down more to further cut down on my already minimal use of the brake pedal.Was tempted to push for the 400miles for a tank but chickened out...might just make it this time.

I've driven my longest continuous motorway trip from London to Nurburg, staying on the E40 all the way via Spa. Car just received an oil service too. Filled with Total premium from Calais, driven mostly according to speed limit (~80mph most of time), 1 passenger + light luggage. I got just over 43mpg which was interesting. I normally get 43 doing 70mph in the UK and I thought I would get less! Still, no where near 50mpg...

On the other hand, I filled up with 102 petrol at Nurburg, but I didn't notice any difference to V-power, but that was only one tank mixed with some Total premium from Calais. But it did throw up the EML on my 2nd lap at the ring, no doubt it was the lambda fault code. Strangely, without adding any more fuel, the EML went away by the time I drove to Spa...

Back