6 speed gearbox

Evil Sid

Hi,

I have a 1.4TDI 75
My gearbox is crunching into a couple of the gears and I am seriously thinking of changing it. Is the 6 speed gearbox from the Golf 1.9 TDI a direct swap? Anyone got any idea of how much effort it would be to do this if not a direct swap, or indeed what parts?

Just want a longer 5th really as all my miles are motorway. I know the bluemotion 1.4TDI has a longer 5th but the gearboxes won't be readily available 2nd hand for years (unless anyone knows where that longer 5th gear comes from)

Aaahhh, this old chestnut raises it's head again!!

The lack of 'legs' is a common problem reported with the A2 and I have looked long and hard into a way to either swap a different box into the car or otherwise make high speed cruising more relaxing.

I even bought a 6 speed box to look into the mechanics, but after much head scratching and Reading of the parts catalogue, it seems there is no direct swap around. All 6 speed boxes will have to be modified to mate to the clutch/output housing on the engine.

The easiest way around us to have your old box rebuilt, using a longer final drive and possibly different ratios if they'll fit internally.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings,

Cheers

Mike

Firstly thanks for the response, and apologies but I could not find it when I used the search function (probably user error).

I am suprised the output housing is different on that box because the 1.9 engine is the same as the 1.4 more or less with an extra pot. #

Does anyone know where the longer 5th on the Polo Bluemotion comes from then, as I am sure that VAG did not redesign the gearbox just for a longer gear. ?!

Can I just point out that changing from my 5 speed A4 to a 6 speed Toledo both with diesel motors the engine speed at all speeds was exactly the same give or take a hundred rpm, it's the gears in between that have closer spacing in the 6 speed box when compared to the 5 speed, both do 1000rpm at 30mph and surprisingly 60mph at 2000rpm

cheers

mike

ok, I will contact VAG when I get some time and get the part number and cost for the bluemotion longer 5th gear.

wish i could read german
bloody brit school system i had a choice of spanish or french
Paul

Many thanks for that link. I think I may invest in a box and a longer 5th from the 1.2 then as I do about 35000 miles a year with 90% at motorway speeds

Hi All,

It's nice to see this old topic come to life again. I thought long and hard about this one. I had two doubts about the potential change to 5th gear. The first was that I was not sure if the cog from the 1.2 would actually fit. The second was that the result would have done away with 5th gear. By that I mean that you would end up with ratios spaced 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. There would have been a big step between 4th and the new taller 5th. I have a graph somewhere that I drew to illustrate the point to myself. I dont do that much motorway driving, but I do quite a bit at 45 - 50 mph which is right in the gap that would be created by the new taller 5th. This might not be as big a problem in a chipped TDI, but it probably would be in a standard.

Go for it Evil Sid, I think you would have an A2 better suited to motorway speeds!

John.

there's nothing stopping you changing four as well; you could extend four slightly and five significantly. That's the way I would be going if it was possible for me; I don't have an issue with dropping a cog or two to overtake but slightly lower revs would be nice. Maybe a final drive change would be possible? I'd have to ask.

The cogs listed in the links from the other threads *will fit*, the quotes there are from real life from people whom I have met, know and trust.

Bret

there's nothing stopping you changing four as well; you could extend four slightly and five significantly. That's the way I would be going if it was possible for me; I don't have an issue with dropping a cog or two to overtake but slightly lower revs would be nice. Maybe a final drive change would be possible? I'd have to ask.

The cogs listed in the links from the other threads *will fit*, the quotes there are from real life from people whom I have met, know and trust.

Bret

Hi Bret,

The good thing about changing 5th gear is that it can be done with the gearbox in place. I think changing 4th would require much more major work? Not a problem perhaps for Evil Sid who is looking to change his gearbox.

John.

Quick question:
would a 6-speed gearbox work on a 1.4 petrol AUA engine?
any direct swap suitable?
Thanks!

I always wonder when I read posts about adding an extra "long" gear.
Sure, a longer gear gives lower revs at the same speed, but, surely, you will now need the same amount of energy, at the lower revs than at the previous higher revs, since the load, (pushing the car along) is the same?
So, since the energy comes from the fuel, I can't see where the improvement is economy is going to come from.
Mac.

I always wonder when I read posts about adding an extra "long" gear.
Sure, a longer gear gives lower revs at the same speed, but, surely, you will now need the same amount of energy, at the lower revs than at the previous higher revs, since the load, (pushing the car along) is the same?
So, since the energy comes from the fuel, I can't see where the improvement is economy is going to come from.
Mac.
On flat highways you can tell revs are pretty high to keep 140Km/h. 75hp is pretty enough to keep it up for such a light car. If it only had a longer gear you'd keep the same speed at lower revs. That for sure.

On flat highways you can tell revs are pretty high to keep 140Km/h. 75hp is pretty enough to keep it up for such a light car. If it only had a longer gear you'd keep the same speed at lower revs. That for sure.
The AUA gearbox is an early member of the MQ200 family (limited to 200nm torque) with a magnesium casing for weight reduction - not the same as the MQ250 and MQ350 boxes used in the 1.4Tdi and 1.9Tdi respectively. According to recent literature (about the newly-introduced MQ281 family), MQ200s are still in production at the Skoda transmission factory, so whether any of these more recent versions may be suitable is a worthwhile question.

It appears the later ones are referred to as 02T gearboxes ; 6-speed versions of these do exist but I now would need to read through the various document sets to find ones with higher than AUA ratios / final drive etc.

Quick question:
would a 6-speed gearbox work on a 1.4 petrol AUA engine?
any direct swap suitable?
Thanks!
I wonder about this too. Not for the longer gearing, but to get closer ratios and "keep it on the boil"
Lupo Gti 6-speed box is the one, I think.
Overgearing a little 1.4 l petrol probably isnt a good idea: you could easily end up pushing the engine up the duty cycle just enough to be using more throttle, longer injection times and end up with worse fuel economy.

I wonder about this too. Not for the longer gearing, but to get closer ratios and "keep it on the boil"
Lupo Gti 6-speed box is the one, I think.
Overgearing a little 1.4 l petrol probably isnt a good idea: you could easily end up pushing the engine up the duty cycle just enough to be using more throttle, longer injection times and end up with worse fuel economy.

Lupo 6 box will bolt straight on. As will the FSi box I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back