8j 17" wheels?

dazwally

hi all i bought a set of after market wheels for my a2 .i have not put tyres on as yet as i am wondering if they are going to fitat all? i mistakenly just look up 5x100 wheels .
the wheels i have bought are 5x100 et38 8inch wide.
would these go on ....do i need spacers ect... and what size tyres would i need for these to work .
any advise would be greatly recieved ..
thanks darren

Check this thread.

hi all i bought a set of after market wheels for my a2 .i have not put tyres on as yet as i am wondering if they are going to fitat all? i mistakenly just look up 5x100 wheels .
the wheels i have bought are 5x100 et38 8inch wide.
would these go on ....do i need spacers ect... and what size tyres would i need for these to work .
any advise would be greatly recieved ..
thanks darren

Attachments

• 20190303_101634.jpg
    20190303_101634.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 259
Yes but when the weight is on the car and obviously a tyre on the rim, that is when you will probably have rubbing on the front when you turn and the rears will catch at various points the liners. Spend a few minutes reading the above then work out what to do. Also suspension makes a difference and load on the car, i.e. may be just ok with just as driver but start putting passengers or a load in the boot the clearance will disappear. Nice looking wheels though, but may not be suitable without modifying either the suspension or the arch liners. The diameter of the wheel can make a huge difference.

Last edited:
thanks audifan
im going to try various tyres see what kind of clearance i get
with the wheel being 8j et38 and my standard 16se 6j wheels being et35
may have to get spacers and low profile tyres

What sort of performance gain are you looking for from these wheels? Or is it just an aesthetic choice?

Guide still gives nearly all the information you will need, still do not know what diameter the wheels are?

Guide still gives nearly all the information you will need, still do not know what diameter the wheels are?
sorry thought i said there 17" i also think they are smaller than 8j i was meassuring the overall width of the wheel so will check again tomorrow

There should be marking on the wheel either in the hub area or on the inside face possibly on one of the spokes.

thanks audifan
im going to try various tyres see what kind of clearance i get
with the wheel being 8j et38 and my standard 16se 6j wheels being et35
may have to get spacers and low profile tyres
Spacers will make the situation worse and may make the wheels stick out from the arches. Don’t forget the ET is measured from the centre line of the wheel and ET35 on a 6J wheel is not 3mm different to an ET38 on a 8J wheel. The 8J is already going to stick out 1 inch more than the 6J wheel

Back