A2 1.4TDI -02 AMF - EGR carbon build-up - mileage

dieselfan

A2OC Donor
Just bought an AMF engine and have started to disassemble external parts to prepare for snake cam inspection.
Last engine I bought failed inspection due to internal corrosion of cooling system and one exhaust valve. So that one will be for spareparts only.....

When looking into EGR and ASV there quite a lot of carbon build-up, especially in the EGR.
Many of you have seen a lot of these and I seek your advice wrt the mileage you believe this engine has.

Cheers
dieselfan

EGR=Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve
ASV= Anti Shudder Valve

A2 AMF LE EGR carbon disposit DS s.jpg

Dont think you can really apply a mileage based upon sludge build up in the intake but the manifold would be a better indicator as its unlikely to have ever been removed, has the egr been disabled?
I would guess around 150k but thats a pure guess!

Brilliant @Howey ?
"Statistically" I buy AMF car at around 200k km (125k miles) so I have no experience with when it is time to de-carbon AMF.
I have no indication for that the EGR nor the ASV have been disabled.
My experimenting with water injection and rapeseed oil also make my own experience of minimal value.... so I need your experience?

I hope there are others that are willing to make a guess ?

I'd guess closer to 160-170k, ATL with 100k had about 1/2 as thick a layer, but then again it'd probably collect faster as it gets more restricted in there so Howey's guess could be spot on.

Brilliant @Un4tural ?

Situation is that I wonder if I should search for an engine with lower mileage or.... not , so your input is very valuable for me.
Airbus use 5 computers in some of their models for the "big" decisions .... when they vote.... it can never be a draw....

Can I hope for one more to have an opinion ? ?

I'm not sure that millage can be judged from the EGR/ASV condition. I had an AMF at 272,200 miles when I bouhgt it and the EGR/ASV was no where near as bad as yours, but I've seen cars with 100K miles that are like yours.
Quality of oil, regularity of servicing, type of driving will all have a massive affect e.g. a car mainly used around town for lots of short stop start driving that is not serviced as often as it should be and then fitted crap oil will gunge up the EGR/ASV quickly. A car mainly used for long runs, serviced to schedule with quality oil will be a lot lot cleaner

Cheers,
Paul

Brilliant Paul ?
Thanks for getting me back on the planet with your factual and analytic way of approaching an issue.
I have been too focused on getting the answer I wanted to hear..... lessons learned ;)

The best is to put that engine aside and find one with known history. Letty will be with for many years and will cost a lot of hours so..... she deserve a decent engine, @depronman ?

Cheers
dieselfan

If you have the time I don't see why not give it a nice clean and refurb out of the car, replacement engine will always be a gamble as much as current one IMO, plus these TDIs are so simple, as long as it has been serviced it'll keep on running.

EGR on my old ATL was near spotless due to neglect i'd guess, it had more blow-by moving more oil into intake, thus EGR looked practically brand new, cause it was essentially slowly washed by oil making way into intake. Not taken it apart to inspect yet, but presumably piston rings were damaged due to low/old oil and it came with a massive folder of history. Could be turbo leaking a bit too, though turbo looks perfectly fine.

Many thanks for all the valuable advices @Un4tural ?
A "Polo friend" of mine had bought parts from the car I bought the engine from... and he had the reg number of the Polo so I have been in contact with the last user of the car. He was very helpful and shared his service archive for the last 3 years. Long life Castrol oil service every 20' km (12.4'miles) and car used as commuter with Defa electrical engine heater both hope and at work (as many others in Norway)
Sad, but good to know, he confirmed the mileage of the car to be 210' km (130k miles) when he crashed and I bought the engine from the private broker as 78' km .... (48' miles) So it is the same old story....

Since I also have wifes BHC and my regular AMF in addition to Letty, and since all of them are longrunners..... I will make this engine ready and preserve it and have it ready as a spear. These engines are not so often available over here and quite expensive too, so Iam more than happy to have one engine on stock ;) in case....

So for those that helped me out by guessing the mileage of that engine just by looking at the carbon build-up in the EGR vale, I must say I am impressed by how spot on you probably were. It was to great help to me ?

Cheers
dieselfan

Not sure it's any help but I have just removed mine at 134k don't know a lot about the history as the cars new to me but I have pictures of the intake and the egr to exhaust pipe. Maybe useful as a comparison? I can take some of the egr shortly as I haven't begun cleaning it yet.
1248924f5e23c2f8f8bd92b0e7bd4f67.jpg
96ac9cce6ca67c052f26eb2fb1109564.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Absolutely useful @Tom_89 ?

Some have seen hundreds... but most of us probably learn for every example.
Thank you for sharing ?
dieselfan

Last edited:
The amount of gunge in the intake might be a greater reflection of the state of the turbo seals than the state of the engine mechanicals. All turbo's I've ever had out of old diesel engines always show signs of a little oil on the pressure impeller. As we know, it's oil combining with the exhaust from the EGR that creates the gunge. How much of the oil comes from the turbo and how much from the engine breather is of course unknown.

Not very helpful, but just my thoughts.

Trevor

The amount of gunge in the intake might be a greater reflection of the state of the turbo seals than the state of the engine mechanicals. All turbo's I've ever had out of old diesel engines always show signs of a little oil on the pressure impeller. As we know, it's oil combining with the exhaust from the EGR that creates the gunge. How much of the oil comes from the turbo and how much from the engine breather is of course unknown.

Not very helpful, but just my thoughts.

Trevor

This makes me wonder, when i was fitting mine and needed the adapter from oil pipe into turbo, these were various options with restriction in there claiming to stop oil seepage into intake/exhaust supposedly, went OEM route in the end as i rather have a bit of oil in intake than turbo go kabooey due to starvation.

Not sure it's any help but I have just removed mine at 134k don't know a lot about the history as the cars new to me but I have pictures of the intake and the egr to exhaust pipe. Maybe useful as a comparison? I can take some of the egr shortly as I haven't begun cleaning it yet.
1248924f5e23c2f8f8bd92b0e7bd4f67.jpg
96ac9cce6ca67c052f26eb2fb1109564.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
why dont you sent the EGR to me why its off and get the innards machined out of it.
drop me a PM if interested

Paul

Back