A2 1.6 Fsi Dipstick - exact info required!

Birdfish

Hi All,

does anyone know the exact Dipstick that fits the 1.6fsi 2004 engine?

Reason being there seems to be x3 part numbers I've seen so far, these are:

1. 870 115 611 E

2. 870 115 611 M

3. 870 115 611 P

I have the 'P' one in my car but I'm beginning to think it's the wrong one?

I changed the oil in March this year, and as I referred to in another post, painted the bottom of the Dipstick white so I could see the new oil on the stick better, I also took the advice of another member on here to file one side of the stick, this seemed to work ok for a while or so I thought.
I've been experiencing far too much rattling at start up for a while so I did what I normally do and remove the Dipstick the night before, leave it out, clean it, and then dip the oil in the morning - only to find the oil was reading full? I did this several times at various hot and cold engine times only to find the oil at the same level.

I then asked my local VW-Audi mechanic did he know of any way to reduce the excessive rattle on start up? They told me to change the oil type, oil filter and put Lucas oil stabiliser in and see if that helped.

Now I do believe that A2 1.6fsi has 4./3-5 litres of oil in the sump? (correct me if wrong) so I drained the oil and to my utter amazement I only got 2 litres of old oil from the sump, well as you can imagine the alarm bells went off! So I put the advised 1 litre of stabliser in and filled up with 3.2 litres of oil just short of the correct level (4.2), then when the Dipstick was dunked the level went up over the top of the sloped top part of the indicator on the stick, sorry I'm at a loss with this??

Anyway the car runs extremely quietly now and as only 1-2 seconds of start rattle that apparently is common on this engine, so with correct level of manufacturers oil level in - that'll do me!

Or does anyone have any info or ideas on this please?

Thank you

Cheers

Doug

I'm assuming the car is / was cold, straight and level at the time you're reading from the dipstick? The E / M / P versions are just new iterations of the dipstick. Do you have VCDS available? You can also read the level through that if you wish. What oil was in and what ahve you put in now?

Rattle is reasonably normal. But 2l of oil doesn't disappear easily. How many miles between oil changes? No indication of oil usage?

- Bret

Engine requires 3.4l of oil. If the filter was changed, it is possible that only around 2.x comes out (there would be another half-litre or so in the filter). It's the same in all petrol engines.

What stabiliser?

- Bret

Hi the FSI is know for it’s rattle on start up (sounds like dry engine) but is fine and my FSI did it when I got the car with 20k miles on it and carried on doing it when I sold it with 185k miles. It sounds horrid but in the famous dealer words “they all do that sir”
Cheers mike

Hi Bret,

I've just been informed by Audi that it's 3.4 litres of oil for my car, on the net and on some threads here they say 4.2/5 which is wrong as you say, and I have the correct Dipstick in the car being 'P' type.

I'll remove some so it's right.

The oil is fully synthetic and stabiliser is Lucas heavy duty stabiliser.

Comma long life fully synthetic was put in back in March and I've just put in Drive Tec high quality long life oil fully synthetic.

I've done about 4500k since oil changed and not sign of oil usage although over a year I would top up by half litre.

Cheers

Doug

My fsi sounded like a bag of spanner’s for about 5 seconds , then stopped once the oil reached the upper parts of engine , it’s still going at 240k miles...

I've started the car twice today from cold and there has been no rattle starts, I'll report back when it heats up on my next journey see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

D

Hi , sold it at 180k so unable to take the bragging rights for this , but while in my “care “ it went from 6k to 180k and was thashed most days to within a inch of its life ... it was serviced well inside what Audi suggested ,eat coil packs , and had 2 pipes of death fitted , new clutch at 114 k couple of engine coolant sensors , the EMI was on from 89:k inlet manifold...

Back