A2 1.6 FSI Misfire when cold

yoda

Hi All,

I have got a A2 1.6 FSI that misfires when it first starts up and is could with the smell of petrol. It then runs ok until it gets up to
60 - 90, then it starts to run in limp mode with the engine warning light flashing, and the car runs ruff. Then when you get up
to speed the engine warning light stops flashing, but stays on. When I took it for a long run on the motorway, the was running
ok ! I have had a full service on the car, changing the cam belt, the water pump, the spark plugs, I have also changed all 4 coil
packs too. Changed the two temperature sensors on the engine, I was thinking do I need to look at getting the injectors
changed ? Anything that comes to mind that it could be ? The guys at the garage said that they think it could be an electrical
problem.

Check the main engine earth under ABS unit, especially under sleeve. Usually accessed by removing n/s headlight.
Known to cause misfires, forum/google search for more info.

Andy

I had similar issues with my fsi and it was the injectors that were carbonned up.

Whats the mileage as mine was on 137k?

Mine was mostly showing a misfire on cylinder 4 on VCDS error P0304. You can also look at the misfire logs in VCDS mine was indeed misfiring on cyl 4 all the time.

Basic checks first...Compression test, Full engine code scan, Visual checks for fuel leaks,......
The compression test will help eliminate if there are problems with the valves seating which will cause a misfire and a smell of fuel from the exhaust.
The engine code scan will tell which cyl is misfiring to narrow where to look, also check the spark plugs...how old are they?.
The visual check will also help if there are any fuel leaks from the fuel lines etc........

Don't guess, get it scanned with VCDS. I'm sure someone near you will help. Mac.
Hi PlasticMac,

I have had it scanned, two pages of error code to do with misfire and temp sensor.
they have cleaned the earth under the front passenger side headlight, still misfiring.

Any other help please :-(

P1504, P0507, P0300, P1028, P0117, P0139, P0401,P0134, P1033, plus all the one's for each cylinder misfire detected.
I'm in Birmingham, the cooling fan I have been told is not running up to speed, and that I need to take the car to a
car electrician.

P1504, P0507, P0300, P1028, P0117, P0139, P0401,P0134, P1033, plus all the one's for each cylinder misfire detected.
I'm in Birmingham, the cooling fan I have been told is not running up to speed, and that I need to take the car to a
car electrician.
I wouldn't think the miss fire is related to the fan not working. Have you had a good look at the coil pack wiring loom, and connectors? Are they clean, dry, and is the insulation still in fair nick?
If you've not seen high engine temps, I'd leave the fan for now. Mac.

Hi Mac,

Spark plugs were all changed a few weeks ago, also 4 new coils installed.

Is there an Audi A2 manual that I can get hold of ? Or wiring diagram that I can look at ?

Could the problem be some sort relay or something that has gone faulty ?

Les.

Back