A2 1.6 FSi Test Drive and fuel economy test

speedfrc

hi everyone
Just wanted to share my little test results after over a month of ownership of my 1.6 FSi
So far I've spent all weekends doing my beloved A2 up in my garage so first official test is like the answer to few questions I've been asking myself earlier.
I'm ex. rally driver so my main concern was road handling... second fuel consumption as commuting is mainly what I'm gonna use this car for
My trip was Plymouth - Denton -Plymouth that's exactly 490 miles round trip. One way up I've tried stay inbetween 70-80mph as that's sensible road speed I've been pleased to see healthy 45-48mpg, I would have guessed if I did travel at speed around 100-110mph car would have returned about 28mpg :) but obviously I don't know that as I've never traveled at that speed ;)
On the destination I've had just over a half of tank left and thought I will make it back easy as my only goal was to get back as cheap as possible...
So started smartly with speed around 40-60mph around London area as traffic was restricting any will of faster traveling.
I've found out that getting to best Audi promised fuel economy of 60mpg is only possible at speed between 40-50mph. Rising speed to 60-70 where I've stayed most of the trip back was bringing it down to still very good 55mpg
02dd98d73c5e701b2c01ec5fde51bda3.jpg

when you look at the picture I've done 320 miles and I've got...
2a60c792f595ce07ec16f8900cfc76f8.jpg

...still 180 miles left
trusting it I should get 500 miles out of the full fuel tank, but did I...?
4a5d671f45280294e1fbec72620bcff5.jpg

"bagger light" came on at 408 miles from last refill...
traveling with the same fuel economy at all time (55mph) I've noticed that
after 425'th mile of travel I've only had 30 miles left...
17c5df4b225b004381c1c6a65d78555d.jpg

that would have given me 455miles where's 500 promised earlier... ? I didn't make consumption go up even a bit since, why such a different range promise? mmm
b25c06bf1ed43235986df51538c210c2.jpg

I've reached 0 miles range with 450miles traveled with same fuel consumption... another 5 miles gone somewhere... but I've finally made it to petrol station with...
a8cabb8edf7b31b501a495573048aead.jpg

... 453 miles on single tank which have cost me
48 £ is it good? all on 7.5j 17" 205/40/17 8kg each without a tire , what you reckon?
I'm sorry for a long post but who else I could share it with? ;) wife? nahh...
Now the drive...
well I'm very impressed with handing of that light little car on wheels mentioned above, cornering is very impressive on standard sport suspension up to 75mph... agility and lightness gives it that incredible ease to create quite high lateral force that could put many brand new much more expensive cars into shame... throwing this car aggressively into corners and sudden lateral force change is being dealt with the highest standard, thanx to it's weight again and fairly stiff anti roll bar for such a small car (that I believe is main reason for lack of comfort rather than a springs used).
Anyways , suspension seem to miss a beat above 75mpg... it's good but closer to average side than good really... body roll gets annoying and general road stability caused by short wheel base but that's not a surprise really.
Steering isn't giving a nice straight stable road handling anymore..car seems to start jumping all over the road a specially on uneven tarmac... very sharp steering that gives that direct feel at smaller speeds gets nervous and a bit dangerous with speed if you are the person who does many things during a drive as every time you don't look at the road car travels but somewhere else that we think it does... (be aware nice wheels owners :) that's mainly down to a steering response control... which isn't that obvious feature on small cars till today anyway...
Brakes are responsive enough to give us some reassuring impression of good braking force available, but I must say they are worse than average... and aggressive driving makes them fade quite badly... possible upgrade in some good after market set ,could give it extra kick...
I really like traction control as it's one of these devices that doesn't interfere to much with a what driver does or want to do... car doesn't slow down when it starts losing grip and it seams only correct bad effect of over or under steering rather than slow it down badly and force straighten on the spot...
I didn't really test it without stability control... I've forgot it can be switched off.. I will in the future if you'll be interested in results...
I've got lots of other reflections about tire choice and a build in general but space is getting short so maybe next time... hope I didn't bore you to death...
thanx guys
Dave

p.s.
test has been taken with only one person in the car (me) ron95 had been used.

Sent from my Galaxy S7

Last edited:
Excellent thread and write up Dave; I stayed wide awake and was praying that you would reach the petrol station... ;) Read like a novel... :cool:

Stunning economy; as a fellow FSI owner, I am inspired. VAG at the Manor will be my first long term venture out with a loaded car; if I achieve that mpg, I will be well happy. I know Jeffers got close previously.

Great cars reinforced again by another well balanced article.

Excellent thread and write up Dave; I stayed wide awake and was praying that you would reach the petrol station... ;) Read like a novel... :cool:

Stunning economy; as a fellow FSI owner, I am inspired. VAG at the Manor will be my first long term venture out with a loaded car; if I achieve that mpg, I will be well happy. I know Jeffers got close previously.

Great cars reinforced again by another well balanced article.
thanx for a warm words Darren
I've got a lot more to say but I couldn't include more pictures into single thread as system says it's 10 and that supposed to be maximum number but there was only 6... ?!
plus I wasn't sure if anyway wants to listen to my reflections...
as a bonus picture with A2 OC badge (of course) on the back of my little racer hahaha

62e9642ba6a1efc7c5fabd217c227ab3.jpg

and one more as I simply can't stop myself :)
f699f797a3000a756144664c634656f5.jpg

thanx Dave

p.s.
No animals had been harmed during testing ;)
tires of secret manufacturer with:
roll resistance C
wet grip performance C
road noise 68db

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't remember off-hand, but the size of the image files might restrict the number per post. I see you have found the answer to that... :D

No A2 subject too dull mate; always one or more of us that will find any thread/post interesting I'm sure.

That's amazing range. I was getting about 250 from my fsi, but I do all urban driving. On it's last trip to A2Cars when it had it's manifold flaps done, it got 50mpg, I would imagine it would beat that after the flaps got fixed.

This is MPG I got in February when I purchased purple Fsi in Leeds and driving back to Gloucestershire
I did keep at 60 to 65 mpg,but on Fsi ALWAYS us high octane petrol
I only Shell Nitro or Tesco momentum

The FSI runs better with RON98 or higher. When I had my FSI I was able to get 450 miles plus out of a full tank.

great result mate
I've managed to keep this over about 30 miles
95 is also allowed but 98 may possibly give a bit better fuel economy, next time I'll do typically economy drive but on a shorter distance than last time as 50 ish on motorway is a bit ridiculous... a specially over 490 miles distance
8dde33d1102da98e84fa0d7e935c2108.jpg

in real life getting close to 60 is a real pain and has not got a lot to do with "normal" driving... don't believe these cars are so much different, it's more the way we drive that makes a difference
thanx Dave

Good work but get of that 95 and run better. The car will love it and economy will rise slightly. In the summer months(when it is sunny) my Fsi will week in week out return over 50 mpg and that is not down to easy driving as I love my job so can't wait to get there ! Or home. Wink wink. Oh wheels look great. Cheers Mike

thanx Mike
I can't even joke about rushing in to work mate... it's that depressing.. but ye I'm gonna give it a try on 98 but I'm really sceptic about as I have some experience from other cars in the past...

I find the consumption of my FSI to be hugely variable. Taking it easy keeping it between 60 - 65 mph I managed to do a 400 mile round trip without the fuel warning coming on (even though I spent about 3 hours doing 10 mph in horrible traffic). However, when combining short journeys with a bit more speed when out of town I only manage to average about 39 mpg (true figure from filling up).

Last edited:
Back