A2 1.6fsi problem

bdub

Help!!!
Just bought a 1.6fsi for the MRS. it has only done 25k be rattles like a diesel for a few seconds when starting up - only seems to do it when it's hot, have changed to oil and filter, also running a bit rough although vag com throws up no codes. I'm thinking MAF but could the knocking be something to do with the fuel injection if the MAF is faulty - once running it's quiet as a mouse. Love the car and don't want to have to part with it.

Does faulty MAF always throw up a fault code??

Cheers

Mine is always noisy on start up. Sounds like a cold diesel. Goes away after a second, so I put it down to the oil pressure building up as it reaches the internals of the motor. I don't worry about it. It's quiet as a mouse the rest of the time. Even after it was serviced it's still the same, so I consider it a feature and not a fault!
If I start it not long after switching it off, and it's warm, the noise isn't there so that (to me) also points towards the oil already in the motor's internals.
Hope that helps.

As a salesman might say "They all do that sir", and ofr once its true.

I think its a consequence of the FSI pressure levels. As long as it goes away straight away its fine.

We've had ours since new and its always done it. I think its worse if the car is left for a long time (somethingdraining back ?).

You can also get the tap tap tap on the pedals as well at idle. Best explained by thinking of someone hitting them with a very small hammer. Again par for the course.

ever watched top gear report on the bmw m5? that car starts up and sounds like a diesel too. hence the question is, if a 50K 500HP car sounds like that on start up, then shouldn't we just accept that certain cars just have it as a feature?

You guys are stars - Thats put my mind at rest.

Anyone know how to check MAF & coil Packs out - No throwing any codes up in vag com but got a slight miss fire.

Cheers

could be the throttle body,mine misfired and got worse until the engine management light came on.
Ended up costing me £500+ :( for a new one.
Audi may just give your's a clean if that's the prob and it's just started.
Other than that it may be the coil pack.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3728
see this for more info.

Last edited:
This is not a problem, it is perfectly normal behaviour for what is a semi diesel engine. The fuel is directly injected. My FSi did it every morning for over 3 years without any issues!

mlarner said:
This is not a problem, it is perfectly normal behaviour for what is a semi diesel engine. The fuel is directly injected. My FSi did it every morning for over 3 years without any issues!

Any chance the sound could come from the hydraulic valves adjusting themselves when starting up the engine? A cold engine means there is minimum pressure hence the valves tend to tick before the pressure builds up. Just a thought.

Thing is it doesn't do it first thing in the morning - the rattle that is. it only seems to happen when engine is warm on a hot day and it has stood for a bit.

just curious now as to what it is and why audi wouldn't engineer it out at design stage. People are starting to comment on how quiet my diesel is at which point after it's started I have to say - no, it's petrol!!

Cheers

As mlarner says - this is a 'feature' of the direct injection FSI engine. Get into any of VW's FSI vehicles and you will hear the same noise on starting.

Ben.

Ok I can live with the rattle - thanks guys. I still have an anoying problem.

It doesn't feel like a 9.8 sec 0-60 car, feels restricted, I have replaced plugs, and MAF- slightly better but just feels blocked up. Air filter ok too. Not throwing an codes up VAG com still. Any Ideas what to look at next?

Occasionanally when pulling upto a junction you let off the accellerator and dip the clutch and the revs jump to 2500rpm and back to idle for no reason.

I have also done a throttle body alignment via vag com as shown on ross tech.

The car has only done 28000 miles - anyone shed any light or offer next steps.

Cheers, Brendan

My 1.6 FSI has the same miles on it as yours, the symptoms that you describe sound the same as mine. The only difference is I accepted them as the norm!!

I must admit that if you change gear the revs do seem to take a while to drop off which is probably the most annoying feature of the car.

As for the 0 to 60 time I also agree that sometimes it does feel that you would struggle to see 9.8 seconds. But as the car is my wifes and I drive a Honda Civic Type R it is never going to feel quick!!

I will be interested to see if you find anything that improves the performance.

Back