A2 2002 - OBD2 supported ?

Alin

Hi guys, another noob question, if you don't mind

Wanted to perform a diagnosis of my Audi A2 (2002, 1.4) and since I read somewhere that all cars made since 2002 support OBD2, I bought a basic OBD2 Bluetooth reader, sticked it in the car port, and tried to use it with various Android free apps.

They all connect to the device, however none is able to further connect to the car itself (car ECU), even if they try all protocols.

Any idea what should I do ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

audifan

A2OC Donor
Throw it in the bin and use VCDS instead;)

Seriously get a KKL cable from ebay or genuine cable from Gendan and using a laptop with a usb port download the FREE VCDS Lite from Ross Tech. This software is nearly identical to the dealer software, where generic readers do not produce useful codes for the A2.

Laptop can be running windows xp-10 or Mac with an emulator.

Edwrai

Hi guys, another noob question, if you don't mind

Wanted to perform a diagnosis of my Audi A2 (2002, 1.4) and since I read somewhere that all cars made since 2002 support OBD2, I bought a basic OBD2 Bluetooth reader, sticked it in the car port, and tried to use it with various Android free apps.

They all connect to the device, however none is able to further connect to the car itself (car ECU), even if they try all protocols.

Any idea what should I do ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Did you turn the ignition on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtl

A2OC Donor
Various bt basic adaptors are good only to check and clear trouble codes on the engine.

Robin_Cox

I agree wholeheartedly that serious functionality is mostly only available with a VCDS-compatible USB adaptor and at the bare minimum VCDS (lite edition) on a PC laptop. However - the only alternative OBD2 reader I use is an Xtools VAG401.

It does things that my VCDS lite setup can't - such as talking to the Magnetti Marelli ECU of the AUA-engined 1.4i and adaptation / basic settings necessary for installing a throttle body as well as other tinkering. It is sold as a reader that is optimised to work with VAG vehicles and I've been very lucky with this so far (as I bought it blind off Amazon). The fault diagnosis is sometimes meaningless gibberish - I have found that entering the statement into Google Translate and looking at the alternatives word by word is sometimes necessary to identify the intended message. More general readers clearly don't have even this level of ability. On the contrary, VCDS is the only way I can diagnose and clear faults on the Climatronic system of any of my cars because the 401 does not speak to this ECU.

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't discount a non-VCDS reader straight away - but it is clear that some are much better than others and even then you need to be lucky - but for completeness it makes sense to have VCDS-lite at least as well as suggested above.

mtl

A2OC Donor
A2 is quite basic in this regard ;).
But it is interesting to watch different parameters.