A2 boot lid wriggling loose

mjdavie11

Hi there everyone, just noticed that my boot lid can start a journey off tightly closed and then by the end of a 30 minute drive feel like I’ve just closed it lightly onto the catch (IE, it’s caught but not tight). Latch looks solid enough, exercised it by push the latch mechanism with the shaft of a screw driver whilst open and it grips onto this ok. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there everyone, just noticed that my boot lid can start a journey off tightly closed and then by the end of a 30 minute drive feel like I’ve just closed it lightly onto the catch (IE, it’s caught but not tight). Latch looks solid enough, exercised it by push the latch mechanism with the shaft of a screw driver whilst open and it grips onto this ok. Any ideas?

Hi ,
I’ve had this when something in the boot stops it shutting properly even something small can do it in the area by the chrome trim .
Hth
Keith

Are you sure it is properly closed? Lower it by hand until the tailgate lip is about level with the top of the indicators in the rear lights then let it drop. First check there is nothing trapped in the catch location on the car.

Hi there both, thanks for quick comments. All trim looks correctly seated and the boot lid is definitely closing-it has annoyed me so much that I disconnected the boot micro switch as it kept popping up mid journey to tell me the boot was open! Can the latch mechanism wear to the point it grips and then slowly lets go? Is there a cam in there somewhere that could have worn out?

Hi there both, thanks for quick comments. All trim looks correctly seated and the boot lid is definitely closing-it has annoyed me so much that I disconnected the boot micro switch as it kept popping up mid journey to tell me the boot was open! Can the latch mechanism wear to the point it grips and then slowly lets go? Is there a cam in there somewhere that could have worn out?

It might help if you post a couple of photos of the latch mechanism.

Cool good call, here are 3 pictures of boot latch, boot slam plate (?) and boot trim. All looks to be in correct placement and aligned

Attachments

• 2E1547FB-BA14-40E1-BD26-F5D6FF6353D2.jpeg
    2E1547FB-BA14-40E1-BD26-F5D6FF6353D2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 180
  • C14D7F23-7B58-4912-9DB5-7F995097EB7D.jpeg
    C14D7F23-7B58-4912-9DB5-7F995097EB7D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 188
  • 2567AF1F-8B26-46E6-96D7-6EF39E26B9C6.jpeg
    2567AF1F-8B26-46E6-96D7-6EF39E26B9C6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
You have checked the area below the plate in the middle picture is clear of debris? The lock does look like it is rubbing so perhaps it needs repositioning. the rubbing may be stopping it fully engaging when shut.

Hi there, just checked under the flap and it is free of debris, save for a stray pine needle from a Christmas tree many moons ago! Funny thing is that it makes a positive clunk when shut- just seems to somehow wriggle loose, hence my thought of a worn cam lobe (if that’s how the clasp system works)?

Hi there, just checked under the flap and it is free of debris, save for a stray pine needle from a Christmas tree many moons ago! Funny thing is that it makes a positive clunk when shut- just seems to somehow wriggle loose, hence my thought of a worn cam lobe (if that’s how the clasp system works)?

Once the boot is shut, can you pull it open without using the release switch? this would let you know if it has 'clasped' the catch properly.
I have a couple of spare boot locks here you are more than welcome to try to see if it rectifies the problem. Happy to post out on a try before you buy basis, and cheap replacement too.

Once the boot is shut, can you pull it open without using the release switch? this would let you know if it has 'clasped' the catch properly.
I have a couple of spare boot locks here you are more than welcome to try to see if it rectifies the problem. Happy to post out on a try before you buy basis, and cheap replacement too.

Hi there Clackers, thanks for your response. The boot lid shuts with a good ‘thunk’ and then when you try and pull the thing upward again the whole of the back of the car lifts slightly-so it’s definitely closed properly. After a period of 20 mins of driving, it then feels like the boot lid has been gently lowered and is on the “first setting”, fastened but not secured if you get my drift and can move up and down by about 8mm

That’s strange either something is releasing the catch from the second click (unlikely but possible) or the catch is worn and the road vibration is causing the second click to be released and thus only latched on the first click or the safety catch is another way to describe the first click and latched is the second click
I would think the second option is far more likely

Take clackers up on his offer to try a different catch before you buy. 95% that will fix your issue

Paul

Still think the lock is not aligned correctly. You can see signs of rubbing on the third picture, so lock possibly not full engaging and backing off with vibration. That is why I suggested adjusting the position of the catch to improve the alignment.

Back