A2 diesels | do alternator bracket w and w/o AC keep the alternator in same position ?

dieselfan

A2OC Donor
Do anyone know if the the two different alternator brackets keep the alternator in the same location/position?

My project car "Letty" will be an lightweight LHD AMF, she will not have AC and she will be modified...
I am concerned one of the IC hoses can clash with the alternator ,if the alternator is moved some mm down (since there is no AC compressor there... )
Illustrations on 7zap have been studied without being able to conclude...

Any ideas?

Thanks
dieselfan

Last edited:
I think you'll find that the alternator is in the same position since it is secured to the engine by two long bolts which pass through lugs on the block. Anything else would require two different block castings. The two refrigerant connections are right angle and are on the front face of the compressor and do not require any space between the alternator and the compressor.

RAB

@RAB
Many thanks (again) for your very educational and helpful answer. ?
I should not find a non AC bracket I can have as a "spare solution" to use the AMF bracket but without having the compressor in place I can still use the short OEM multibelt for diesels w/o AC.

Many thanks ?
dieselfan

I think you'll find that the alternator is in the same position since it is secured to the engine by two long bolts which pass through lugs on the block. Anything else would require two different block castings.
Perhaps the 1.2TDI is different, but the 1.4TDI uses an intermediate bracket between the block and the alternator. The bracket bolts to the block, and the alternator is secured to the bracket with two long bolts which pass through lugs on the bracket. The bracket is also tasked with holding the A/C compressor and the belt tensioner.

Figure 13.1 of the TDI120 thread shows this bracket. Figure 13.6 shows the alternator, A/C compressor and tensioner bolted to the bracket.

I have never noticed whether 1.4TDIs without A/C have a simplified version of this bracket or not, nor whether the position of the alternator is slightly different on cars without A/C. However, I doubt there is any difference.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks a lot for your thourough help @timmus ?
7zap advice PN 045903141D to be the simplified braket for A2 diesels w/o A/C. As I understand illistrations and text even ANY (1.2TDI) and (ATL 1.4TDI 90Hp) are included.
Cheers
dieselfan

Last edited:
Perhaps the 1.2TDI is different, but the 1.4TDI uses an intermediate bracket between the block and the alternator. The bracket bolts to the block, and the alternator is secured to the bracket with two long bolts which pass through lugs on the bracket. The bracket is also tasked with holding the A/C compressor and the belt tensioner.

Yes, agreed. There are two brackets, common to all A2 diesels, one for alternator only, 045903141D and for alternator & A/C, 045903141E:

We have two ANYs here, one with A/C and one without and the alternator is in exactly the same position for both.

RAB

Back