A2 Opensky electrical problem?

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
After leaving my car outside for months in the Scottish Highland weather, with locked back brakes, a dead battery and a malfunctioning climate control panel, I finally fixed the back brakes and charged the battery and oiled the climate control fan and the car works wonderfully....
.....Except the open sky sun roof. I press the button to open it and nothing happens.

The cable is attached so its not a loose cable.
The horn works so its not the fuse.
What else could it be? Dodgy control panel?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Most likely that the roof is stuck / Jammed up and the motor is trying to move it but can’t
Have you tried lightly pushing the back of the front panel upwards whilst trying to open the oss

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A really good clean whilst it’s open is in order
Then grease it all up

Paul

Try recalibratiing the motor by pressing the switch forwards for ten seconds with the roof closed. It should click if it’s worked.

Ian

I would remove the motor only three screws and try it to see if it turns

I would remove the motor only three screws and try it to see if it turns

Hi.

Just removed the motor, it's actually 4 screws not three. That had me stumped for a while.

I took the circuit board off of the motor assembly and checked the bare motor. It works, or at least it turns.
I then did a rudimentary circuit check of the circuit board but did not see anything rusted or capacitors blown, though I did find a couple of resistors not passing through a current.
I checked the power cable to the motor and this was providing 12.54 volts.
I checked on the circuit board boards 12v output to the motor pins as best as I could but there is no power getting to the motor pins to drive the motor.

So it could be the circuit board. Though I am not an electrician or electrical engineer so could be totally mistaken here.

I also checked the circuit on the switch and this seems to be working as current would pass through when the micro switch was clicked and nothing when off.

So I need a new motor assembly I think.

20200524_114324.jpg

Last edited:
So, with the motor assembly removed from the open sky and still connected to the cars wiring if you operate the switch to open or close the oss the motor doesn’t run ?
If so then the motor unit could be broken or it could be a wiring issue

I will go dig out my oss testing cable as this works from a 12 v battery and switch and runs the motor

Give me an hour

Paul

Update. With a new (to me) motor from a lovely A2oc member Depronman my OSS lives again. It was deffo the circuit board in the motor not working. The only difference between my old one and the new one is there is no two press mid front opening sequence. Press once for front window flap to open then press again to open fully. At the moment it just opens fully and closes fully if the button is held. Let go and the OSS just stops in that position.

Small thing so I am not really bothered as I'm glad it just works at the moment. Maybe this is something I can program later?

Not on the motor part number not ending in A unfortunately
Great that it’s working though

It not often you get this type of easy fix on an os
Paul

Back