A2 Quirks - are these common?

Hi

Had the A2 for a few weeks now. Can you tell me if the following are common quirks / faults (on a high mileage 2001 TD)

1. Fuel Gauge drops quickly between 0 and 50 miles - then seems to drop correctly.
2. Rear view mirror attachment to windscreen loose and rattley - it is solid onto the glass, just what's happening behind it
3. Webasto smells of hot metal - I know the flexible metal pipes get hot but it smells like a burning tinfoil
4. Switch to stop kids opening rear windows - I have to keep it pressed down whilst they open or close it with their switch

Thanks

Last edited:
3 is something if the car has been sitting for some time - it's quite possibly dust on the exhaust. Is it working correctly?

The rest.... no, no and no. 1 there is an adjustment in VCDS. 2 is glued in place. 4 - I have no idea, though I would suspect a loose connection in the armrest.

- Bret

3 is something if the car has been sitting for some time - it's quite possibly dust on the exhaust. Is it working correctly?

The rest.... no, no and no. 1 there is an adjustment in VCDS. 2 is glued in place. 4 - I have no idea, though I would suspect a loose connection in the armrest.

- Bret

Thanks - yes, Webasto is working fine, very cold mornings, so it's getting a good workout. The car had indeed been sat for a few months - not kicked in since last winter I'd guess.

VCDS - sounds complicated - I'll just get used to it dropping and using the tripped mileage as an indicator

The other bit i can well put up with
Cheers

Webasto...... oh I miss having mine, loved the smell, the noise.... it’s a small detail that I wish I had on my slightly newer model.

Fuel gauge.... mine is erratic towards the lower part of the tank, I think they’re all a bit like that.

Windows.... as above, sounds like a slightly dodgy connection somewhere.

witch to stop kids opening rear windows - I have to keep it pressed down whilst they open or close it with their switch

Mine did the same the lockout button wouldnt hold down coulnt find a way to replair the lockout button so replaced the switch . A 4 button non OEM window switch ~£10 or order a replacement Audi prices vary where you can get one. I went OEM paid £25 for it new . I think they are £48 from TPS if you can order one you need an account to do that. Audi still sell the 4 button holder in Black went to my local dealer to get it they are £22 new made it look good with new switches and holder

1606486240296.png

1) If you fill the tank completely full, it usually takes 50-100 miles for the fuel gauge to move off full, and 200-250 miles to get down to 3/4. (Your mileage will vary depending on tank size and driving style). Since it's a diesel, have you used the vent in the filler neck to let the trapped air out when the pump handle shuts off? Then you'll get more in. Repeat until it makes no difference, then it's full. (Don't do this on petrol ones!)

2) The mirror just twists off the boss I believe. You could see if there's a spring clip loose or something.

3) I never notice a smell with the Webasto on the one of mine that has it. As has been said, could be just that it's been sat. If the smell doesn't get better, you can use the ECON button beneath your heater controls (or on the climate unit if you have AC) to stop the ECU turning it on.

4) This is the failure mode of the lockout switch on the 4-way unit in the driver's armrest. If you get the switch unit out of the armrest you can get the lockout button off, there might be a spring loose underneath which you can reconnect - I previously fixed one this way. There's plenty of how-to information on here about getting the doorcard off and getting the switch unit out of the armrest.

Thanks all - very helpful, cheers

A positive quirk I just found - if you find the rolled back boot 'luggage hiding roller blind' getting in the way, you can tuck the edge back on itself and down the back of the rear seats. The two little stops fit snugly on the rear of the back seats to keep it in place. I like that.

A positive quirk I just found - if you find the rolled back boot 'luggage hiding roller blind' getting in the way, you can tuck the edge back on itself and down the back of the rear seats. The two little stops fit snugly on the rear of the back seats to keep it in place. I like that.
I find it sits happily tucked under the back of the rear headrests. That's on a 4-seater, not sure if it would work on a 5-seater though, unless you remove the middle headrest.

I was impressed when I worked out that the rear seatbelts slot into the holes when folding the rear seats, how thoughtful! ??

When you remove the mirror from the screen (turn it 90deg) in the mirror stem there a spring clip which is riveted into the ally of the stem
I suspect some monkey of a mechanic didn’t know how to remove it and as stretched the spring or made the rivets loose
The lock out for rear windows is a failed switch
Alllyexpress do them for little money

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back