A2 Servicing information suggestion and thanks thread

AUDI2012

A2OC Donor
Thanks for this information Sarge always handy for a novice :) Especially the fact that somebody recently over tightened one of my alloy bolt,which gave me drama's.:mad:

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

Really helpful - many, many thanks!

I reckon this thread will get a massive number of views over time...

Great thread, could we have some pictures of different ways to jack up the car safely etc(have read posts on here about garages damageing the underside).

will be looking to clean up my rear drums at some point and freshen up my front calipers but i will no doubt be working on the road outside when i do.

The service information started by Sarge is going to be a great resource. It is concise and condensed and easy to read and understand. Only problem is, if we all keep adding comments about "how great" it is, and "how useful" and suggesting other items for Sarge to add; then it will be diluted by all this verbage and be less readable for all.

So I am starting this thread so that we can all add our grateful comments and suggestions here. If the moderators wish, they could move any existing non-relevant comments here,:confused: and even make this a sticky??

the only safe jacking points:
- the round ones in teh sills
- directly on the inside of those, AWAY FROM THE PLASTIC SILL COVERS, are firm points you can use to raise and lower the car. Wood / rubber on the jack, please.
Do not let the wood / rubber touch the plastic sill, even with an hour on the ramp, you will re-form it (if it doesn't break) and then the jacking point covers won't sit properly.

- Bret

Thank you all, including those who have PM'd me, with kind words of encouragement! :)

I have edited and added the requested information so far, hope it helps!

Cheers
Sarge

I think that Sarge deserves a very special thank you for doing this, it can be a pain collating that info and posting it.

A HUGE help to many members and a totally unselfish and thoughtful action.

Cheers
Steve B

UPDATED, CURRENTLY TOPICS ARE:

Post 1 : Introduction/Index
Post 2 : Torque specifications.
Post 3 : Removal of the Under tray (also known as Noise Insulation).
Post 4 : Air Filter (all engines)
Post 5 : Oil Filter Diesel Engine
Post 6 : Oil Filter Petrol Engine
Post 7 : Cabin filter
Post 8 : Spark Plugs
Post 9 : Glow plugs
Post 10 : Brake Pads/Shoes checking thickness
Post 11 :
Cooling system: checking antifreeze and topping up with coolant if necessary
Post 12 : Jacking points
Post 13 : Door Trim Removal
Post 14 : Door check strap
Post 15 : Checking Brake fluid level
Post 16 : 'How To' Tutorial Collection
Post 17 : 'How To' Change the cowl panel grille (Cover under the wiper arm and bottom of windscreen)
Post 18 : 'How To' Remove Cylinder Head Cover (done on TDi 75 AMF Engine)
Post 19 : Removing and installing electrical wiring harness for unit (fuel) injectors (done on TDi 75 AMF Engine)
Post 20 : Removing Glovebox
Post 21 : Removing Interior Heater Fan Motor

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated thread with:

Post 23 : Removal of Rear Brake Drums - safely

Updated thread with:

Post 23 : Removal of Rear Brake Drums - safely

Phenomenal !!!!

You are doing the forum and its members a HUGELY useful (and appreciated) service.

I nominate Sarge for A2OC member of the year !!!!!

Steve B

Phenomenal !!!!

You are doing the forum and its members a HUGELY useful (and appreciated) service.

I nominate Sarge for A2OC member of the year !!!!!

Steve B

Thank You Steve, it's always good to be appreciated.

Cheers
Sarge

Updated:

Fault - Not starting Engine cranks, occasionally feels like it tries to fire, but doesn't start - (done on AUA 1.4 Petrol Engine)

First of all I'd like to thank you for the servicing and repair thread. I've bought a 2003 FSI and feel 'exposed' in the sense that I can't buy a Haynes manual (I know I can get manuals on CD/DVD but it's not the same). I've read your servicing/repair thread in it's entirety and feel a lot more comfortable now. A question about jacking and axle stands. If I jack up with a trolley jack (with rubber protection pad) inboard of the official jacking points away from the plastic sill covers, where can I place my axle stands? Also, do I have to remove the under tray before trolley jack lifting? I have a jacking beam that fits my trolley jack and I use it to lift the complete front end of my other car (a MK3 Polo) by placing each of the pads on the chassis where the innermost part of the wishbone locates. Can I do this with the A2 or would it damage the under tray? I was wondering if I could lift the whole of the front of the car in one go with the two jacking beam pads bearing on the part of the under tray directly below the part of the chassis where the inboard part of the wishbone attaches, then place the axle stands inboard of the jacking points, lower the car onto the axle stands, lower the trolley jack and lifting beam and then remove the under tray now the car is on axle stands. Can it be done that way or will I damage/crush the under tray with the lifting beam pads? My thinking is the under tray is just being pressed onto a flat part of the chassis adjacent to where the inboard mounting of the wishbone is with a flat jacking beam rubber pad then no harm would come to it. Comments?

Bumping this thread which has been idle, Anything on my General Servicing Information thread can be discussed here.

Cheers
Sarge

Back