A3 Roof Grab Handles

A2on18's

I'm pulling together parts ahead of a roof lining retrim and wondered whether anyone has fitted A3 grab handles in their A2. Reason I am thinking about this is that they are already available black and it would save recolouring all 4!

s-l1600.jpg

If it’s the same fitment then most definitely, did that on my MK4 Golf back in 2002!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about replacing the drivers grab handle with a glasses case? Far more useful. I dont recall holding a drivers grab handle ever!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Evening all,

I’ve also chosen to remove the drivers grab handle and put a VW Beetle Sun Glasses Holder in both 250 (Platinum) and OEM (Beige almost Twist).

Plenty available on eBay for pennies and require 2 minutes of modification to fit the A2.

Kind regards,

Tom

Think if I were to replace the grab handles I would fit the glasses holder for the drivers location and for the remaining three locations the damped return handles as used on later Audis. The advantage of the damped return ones is they sit more flush into the roof so less likely to bang your head on them!!

So it does appear that from my original question the fitment will work

Will find damped handles and a glasses holder!

Thank you all

Let us know how you get on and I’ll follow suit with the glasses holder.
Steve,

I’ve had a VW Beetle Sunglasses Holder fitted for years. A Platinum one in my old commuter which is now in 250 and also obtained a beige one for OEM.

One here in Platinum for under £10 delivered.

Edit: I see someone has just purchased the item linked above. Here is another one, this time in Twist and here’s another in Platinum.

I know it’s not for everyone but a very simple modification on the rear is complete in 2 minutes and you have a very handy and safe VAG storage compartment for your gigs:

1259BDF1-551D-4E81-8A20-C656B9E52BAC.jpeg

6ADE3B07-720E-4DE2-9123-E4FD0D8C92FB.jpeg

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
My mate has a beetle so taking his out so we can test fit on Saturday

Will let you know how we get on

Other Steve,

The fitting is very simple indeed. 2 minutes with a hacksaw and you’re done.

Here is the rear of the Beetle/Passat sunglasses holder:

20ED6343-E0B9-4146-8BB3-2973FD281E46.jpeg

The areas I have circled in blue need to be cut off (flush) as these spacer infills are the wrong shape and size to insert into the existing headlining fabric and biscuit holes. Firstly push the metal black looking bolt hole guides out from the rear then get sawing and discard the removed spacers.

Now do exactly the same on the rear of the A2 handle you’re removing as this of course has the correctly shaped spacer to insert into the headlining biscuit to the roof.

Use the freshly cut spacers from the original A2 handle along with your original bolts and you’re done. No more than 2 minutes.

This simple addition along with rear electric windows was all the other driver here wanted from an A2.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

Other Steve,

The fitting is very simple indeed. 2 minutes with a hacksaw and you’re done.

Here is the rear of the Beetle/Passat sunglasses holder:

View attachment 84294
The areas I have circled in blue need to be cut off (flush) as these spacer infills are the wrong shape and size to insert into the existing headlining fabric and biscuit holes. Firstly push the metal black looking bolt hole guides out from the rear then get sawing and discard the removed spacers.

Now do exactly the same on the rear of the A2 handle you’re removing as this of course has the correctly shaped spacer to insert into the headlining biscuit to the roof.

Use the freshly cut spacers from the original A2 handle along with your original bolts and you’re done. No more than 2 minutes.

This simple addition along with rear electric windows was all the other driver here wanted from an A2.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom
Useful info, thank you!!

Not sure its a two minute job though! I have roof curtain airbags so perhaps its different.
The two metal spacers are quite different lengths. The original grab handle (spacers) are longer and slightly large diameter. The mounts on the glass case need dressing to fit
There is a front and rear mounting on the grab hand, they are not interchangeable P1040582.JPGP1040583.JPGP1040584.JPG

Afternoon Simon,

I can confirm it’s a 2 minute task to make the VW Beetle/Passat Sunglasses Holder into the A2. Not tried A3 Grab Handles but sure it’s quite a similar process.

You will reuse the original A2 metal spacer tubes so will have to push out the A3 metal spacer tubes.

I too have SideGuard and fit the sunglasses holes without issue. If you continue to have issue give me a call Sir. Do you still have my number?

Edit: Just fully read your post again, confirm you’re indeed fitting the sunglasses holder. If so cut (with the hacksaw) the sunglasses holder protrusions off so it’s flush in the rear. Next do the same with your A2 grab handle, then use this cut off plastic, along with the A2 metal tube on the sunglasses holder. Hope that makes sense as I’m mid meeting here!

Edit 2: Message just sent via WhatsApp.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Back