ABS/Brake pad wiring repairs

VAG fool

Am I correct in thinking that the A2 only has brake pad wear wires on the LHS?
2002 (52 plate) 1.4 SE petrol, car has drums at rear.
The RHS wires have tyre contact wear, the LHS brake pad wires have been "got at" and very crudely repaired, in fact as I unwrapped them one corroded wire broke and another pulled out of its crimp...
I had this job pending anyway, just moved the car for the first time since starting repairs and apart from stuck rear brakes, as the car warmed up it threw up a brake warning.
IMG_20210411_173756_4_resize_99.jpg
IMG_20210411_173907_6_resize_84.jpg
IMG_20210411_175534_9_resize_87.jpg

Thanks, that makes sense as its a fresh alarm and the abs light is staying on.
Don't suppose you'd have the part number(s) on file?

ABS / brake wear loom is only fitted to the left on the A2. Just an ABS loom on the right side. Other option that may be cheaper is finding a breaker and taking the loom from that assuming it is undamaged.

The A2 ONLY has pad wear indication and wiring to the front left wheel. It never had the warning to the right side wheel.

Correct.
"The RHS wires have tyre contact wear, the LHS brake pad wires have been "got at" and very crudely repaired"

7zap is showing a lot of options for the rhs harness, I'll have to check the number breaks against the VIN

For the wiring harness only showing 2 for the right side. One for the 1.2 diesel and the other for all others. Not sure if you had the 7zap parts pages already. Looks like the ABS wiring had been incorrectly routed over the strut instead of behind it. Although I have seen plenty routed that way. Surprised the ABS loom on the right has not thrown a warning yet.

You could try @CreweAudi for prices and stock for both looms.

Last edited:
Good Evening,

I think you have all your answers but I will add a couple of points.

First agreeing with audifan's last post the ABS loom on the front offside is routed wrong it should go behind the strut, no wonder it suffered tyre abrasion. For your information, picture courtesy of Kleynie, the correct routing.

Second, on the near side ABS/pad wear loom replacement. The Audi replacement at £60 to some extent is a waste of money being well over 2 metres in length, half of which you cut off and waste if you intend to splice old to new in the engine compartment. (It is intended to reach the base of the passenger A-pillar but I would not recommend this, I know!). I have read there is a much shorter compatible VW loom at £40 designed to spliced in the engine compartment, If I have time tomorrow I will see if I can find it.

Andy

Eliminating 1.2Tdi parts - left front is 8Z0927904, right front is 8Z0927904D, with loom for the rear being 8Z0927904B both sides.

Bit confusing the numbering for these - normally the 8Z0927904 part would have a corresponding other-sided part 1 integer lower or higher rather than the suffixes alone all being used for parts all around the car.

I don't know about the plugs / terminals on the 8Z0 part, but is this 6Q0 part number below suitable - there are a lot on Ebay and as @Andrew suggests above, considerably cheaper (if they are the right thing).

6Q0927903

certainly, on the corresponding Polo diagram https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2004-253/9/927-927000/
they use exactly the same ABS sensors as the A2 with these 6Q0 cables, so clearly the terminal at that end must be suitable.

Thanks for the tipoffs, I have bought a 6Q0927903S for £34 delivered, that should fix the nearside mess.
Now to find the offside one...

Word of caution when repairing or replacing looms. Audi / VW were not very consistent when it came to wire colours. It is always best to use a meter to determine the correct lead to connect.

Thanks for the tipoffs, I have bought a 6Q0927903S for £34 delivered, that should fix the nearside mess.
Now to find the offside one...
I did have a quick look for a compatible alternative and yes there are lots that do the same job, but I did not yet find one I would be happy buying. The 6Q one you bought seems quite close, the connectors look right and possibly the Y branch has the groove to slot into the U prongs on the hub, but it is the other suspension rubbers higher up that worry me. Let's hope it is suitable but look at it carefully when you get it, at worst you can always send it back.

Andy

I can always split and re-glue the grommets if push comes to shove. This is pretty much the last hurdle before the car is MOT -able again, other than new discs and pads (Polo 256mm the same?)

PS I cant for the life of me identify the front offside ABS-only repair harness for the Polo, 7zap on mobile possibly doesn't help.

Back