Access through the bulkhead?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Is anyone aware of a way to run a cable through to the cabin with the dash in situ?

Ive just wired in a boost gauge to black beauty but couldn’t find a way through the bulkhead. I tried to use the hole for the bonnet pull but it’s not a direct route.

58C6EDAD-5E44-4EE2-8499-9D1407201347.jpeg

The shame is that it reads in Bar rather than PSI but it’s running 2.6 psi on acceleration which leaves room for adjustment when the boost controller arrives at the weekend.

Hmmm hadn’t thought of that because I was trying to wire it on the drivers side, but there’s nothing stopping me running the wire across the back of the dashboard or even up the A pillar and across the headlining. Thanks Paul.

It’s an easy run across the car through the centre section of the dash board and into the instrument cluster area. Remove the radio as it helps a lot
A straightened out wire coat hanger is your best friend

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bonnet release cable grommet can be used if you're careful enough, as I have used it for DRL live feeds. I managed to wire mine in such a way that the feed came out behind the wheel arch liner, and I routed it from there. There are 2 grommets to go through, if you use an unwound wire coat hanger, you can find the way with a bit of fiddling from within the engine bay. It requires patience, a lot of it.

The bonnet release cable grommet can be used if you're careful enough, as I have used it for DRL live feeds. I managed to wire mine in such a way that the feed came out behind the wheel arch liner, and I routed it from there. There are 2 grommets to go through, if you use an unwound wire coat hanger, you can find the way with a bit of fiddling from within the engine bay. It requires patience, a lot of it.

I’ve also done the same. It’s easier from the cabin into the engine bay. It will come out behind the wheel arch liner
If the wheel arch liner is not in place it’s quite easy and quick

Paul

As you are well experienced in removing panels take off the drivers wing and arch liner. The bonnet release cable is then exposed at the bulkhead and quick to route through. You could also route through some extra wiring for any future upgrades.

Great thanks guys. It felt by hand that the bonnet release cable at the cabin side and the engine side were at different levels. I’ll get the arch liner out ASAP and have another go.

I couldn’t find a wire coat hanger for love nor money when I needed one as they are now mostly plastic with a wire head if you’re in luck!

I’ve since stashed 2 away

Last edited:
You can drill a hole and then use a water-proof gland from farnell/etc. It is OEM-like and also very safe and unobtrusive. Finding spare wires in the main loom is also a good idea or using spare connectors in existing connectors. I have used the first solution behind the glovebox. If you end up needing more cables then you can use a multicore cable and a bigger gland/bigger hole when needed.

Evros

You can drill a hole and then use a water-proof gland from farnell/etc. It is OEM-like and also very safe and unobtrusive. Finding spare wires in the main loom is also a good idea or using spare connectors in existing connectors. I have used the first solution behind the glovebox. If you end up needing more cables then you can use a multicore cable and a bigger gland/bigger hole when needed.

Evros

You are unlikely to find spare wires in the A2
The looms were made for the options in each car. If the option was not ticked when ordering the wiring was not present. Only known exception to this is the heated door mirrors which all A2’s had the wiring for
Take dog lights as an example there is no wiring for them if the car did not have them fitted from the factor
I do take your point on the spaces in the connectors though Audi did not save the weight on the connectors as they did on the wiring. Some common sense prevailed

Paul

behind the glovebox is where my inner power socket is routed through and that's a 1/2" round cable. Not created a hole yet.

- Bret

You are unlikely to find spare wires in the A2
The looms were made for the options in each car. If the option was not ticked when ordering the wiring was not present. Only known exception to this is the heated door mirrors which all A2’s had the wiring for
Take dog lights as an example there is no wiring for them if the car did not have them fitted from the factor
I do take your point on the spaces in the connectors though Audi did not save the weight on the connectors as they did on the wiring. Some common sense prevailed

Paul

If Audi asked Tyco or AMP to provide a connector minus 1 pin then it would bring the loom cost to a whole new level of expensive! Coming from personal experience with connectors.

Back