Access to Boot and Battery if pull cord in hatch snapped

Bumblebee

Hi All.......
My A2 has been stood for a while and battery is too flat for central locking. In pulling the rear hatch pull cord to manually open it snapped, so what are my options?
Is it possible to plug in a solar charger for a few days/ week to get enough charge in the battery to energise central locking and if so would it need to be a 4.8w solar charger or better?
Thanks in advance
Wayne

Use a charger or jump pack that plugs into ciggy socket. I am assuming that you have got into the car. Folding the back seats down and preferably out of the car is another way to access the boot. You must have really pulled hard to snap the manual release.

I doubt it's snapped, it will just want the tailgate cover removing and reattaching as it can dislocate if pulled too hard

Hi All.......
My A2 has been stood for a while and battery is too flat for central locking. In pulling the rear hatch pull cord to manually open it snapped, so what are my options?
Is it possible to plug in a solar charger for a few days/ week to get enough charge in the battery to energise central locking and if so would it need to be a 4.8w solar charger or better?
Thanks in advance
Wayne
If the battery is flat, you'll need to charge at several amps, 40 - 50 Watts, to make any difference. If the battery is old, it may not recover even then.
4.8 Watts is less than 1/2 an amp. An 80 Ah battery would take nearly 200 hours at that rate.
Mac.

If the battery is flat, you'll need to charge at several amps, 40 - 50 Watts, to make any difference. If the battery is old, it may not recover even then.
4.8 Watts is less than 1/2 an amp. An 80 Ah battery would take nearly 200 hours at that rate.
Mac.
Thanks Mac..... Good advice.

I doubt it's snapped, it will just want the tailgate cover removing and reattaching as it can dislocate if pulled too hard
I didn't see a toggle or any form on connector on the end tbf....... definitely looked snapped!!
Taking the tailgate cover is the next challenge as it looks well clipped in place :-(

Wrong way around! Plug the solar charger in first, especially if the car is unused, to prevent the battery becoming discharged. By the way, if you place the panel under the rear glass, you'll lose 60% of output because of the tinting!

RAB

I didn't see a toggle or any form on connector on the end tbf....... definitely looked snapped!!
Taking the tailgate cover is the next challenge as it looks well clipped in place :-(

You will have to pull bloody hard. Audi used about 20 metal clips that I swear would pull a 40 ton lorry on each clip. Over engineered in the only words to describe it
Put them back with some copper slip in them as it helps some what next time it needs to come off

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi bumblebee its Andy,
I can do the boot release cable for £5 posted....if youbare happy with that you can PayPal me on
I do post runs most mornings

Andy
Hi Andy. Thank you. Just done, so hopefully all is okay.
Thanks again
Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Back