Advanced driving tuition / assessment - Anyone have experience & recommendations?

dj_efk

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Hello all,

With my return from Singapore after a 9 year hiatus, during which time I barely drove at all, I have been thinking that now my wife and I have 3 young children and hence a lot more to lose, we should think about getting assessed / some tuition to improve our driving standards from a safety point of view.

This has been brought into sharp focus by an incident I had over the weekend with a full complement of wife and little ones on-board the Touran: Approaching a roundabout on an "A" road from a minor one at about 20 mph after a fun day on Charmouth beach hunting for fossils, I slowed to what seemed a reasonable speed; glanced right and it was clear, so I went for it - however just at that moment a BMW Z3 going like a bat out of hell appeared from nowhere on the previous entry, which forms part of the A road (the approach to which was concealed from where I was, apart from a short stretch immediately before the give-way line): It shot onto and squealed round the roundabout on collision course with us - necessitating an emergency stop on my part that was hard enough to almost trigger the ABS and throw everyone forwards in their seats. Cue angry wife having a go, saying I should have been more careful and slowed down on the approach etc.

Even allowing for the 1st rule of marriage (the wife is always right), she really was right upon reflection - and having calmed down and having heard myself utter the words "but he was going too fast!": It really should have been obvious that a very cautious / slow approach was needed to counter the lack of visibility down the (national limit) entry onto the roundabout - and as no matter what, the rule is we give way to the right on roundabouts regardless of whether the car involved is actually already on the roundabout or not at the time of your entry, I had to admit that I was not concentrating enough to clock the potential hazard and act accordingly. I'm determined not to make such a silly and potentially dangerous error again.

And so to my ask - who here has experience of professional assessment and tuition, would you recommend it? I did look at the IAM but if I'm honest I'm put off by the fact that it's volunteers and also the time commitment for the sessions (I understand you need at least 2 hours each time, which when added to the journey time to my nearest centre and back would represent half a day out).

Not sure whether there are other options - I found these guys but that was all really: Bespoke Driving Courses For Private Individuals (advanced-driving.co.uk) - The rest I found are either aimed at new drivers (pass plus etc.) or else at drivers who are rusty and lacking in confidence, which doesn't fit how I see myself.

Thanks!

EDIT: Quite like the sound of this one - EcoSave Eco Driving Course - Reducing Your Carbon Footprint When You Drive (advanced-driving.co.uk) - it could eventually start paying for itself in fuel savings too, plus it fits with my aim of Merlin being an eco-express; as the best eco gains start with the driver!

Last edited:
I’ve had some advanced driving lessons back in the mid to late 2000s during my days working with bmw m cars and Audi rs. We had to had to have them as part of our product training. I am not sure how much I would recommend it to be honest. It was enjoyable and made you more confident driving high powered cars at speed but on normal roads in real world driving situations your experience as you get used to driving on our roads again will stand you in better stead.

While back now, around 2012, I had an IAMs based course through work, afternoon out with an instructor and another person on the course and in a colleagues company car due to a mix up.

We each drove for a bit around a mixture of parts of town in our best driving lesson/police car around style, and then got some feedback. The instructor then took us through some techniques such as narrating your driving. some highway code refresh, scanning from near to far, and understanding you've got to scan further ahead than you're used to. Being at the front of a queue of traffic is better than being at the back, as you're then in control more. All that sort of stuff.

They're techniques you'll find in greater detail online than what I can put here, sure a quick google of youtube videos will find something.

We then had another go applying them and headed back to the office. Despite not filling the car up we arrived back with more range on the car than when we left... :) No idea how our colleague drove his Saab Estate, but I'm guessing he was on the turbo a hell of a lot more than us :)

The volunteers are usually ex police and advanced drivers so know their stuff, so don't be put off by that.

From your example, you're explaining IMO the main difference between male and female drivers and risk taking. Roundabouts are the prime example where males (usually) will approach and join while still moving, taking a risk, whereas female (not all, these are just anecdotal after all) are more likely to come to a stop before joining, minimising theirs.

Final bit; a good driver is only one that recognises they're a bad driver. There are actually no good drivers, you're easily distracted, unable to watch everything, and operating a deadly weapon that just happens to move you around, no matter how good you are. How often have you yourself gone on 'cruise control' while driving?

It's the same with the first step on the path to wisdom is knowing you know nothing. So just by posting you're halfway there :)

While back now, around 2012, I had an IAMs based course through work, afternoon out with an instructor and another person on the course and in a colleagues company car due to a mix up.

We each drove for a bit around a mixture of parts of town in our best driving lesson/police car around style, and then got some feedback. The instructor then took us through some techniques such as narrating your driving. some highway code refresh, scanning from near to far, and understanding you've got to scan further ahead than you're used to. Being at the front of a queue of traffic is better than being at the back, as you're then in control more. All that sort of stuff.

They're techniques you'll find in greater detail online than what I can put here, sure a quick google of youtube videos will find something.

We then had another go applying them and headed back to the office. Despite not filling the car up we arrived back with more range on the car than when we left... :) No idea how our colleague drove his Saab Estate, but I'm guessing he was on the turbo a hell of a lot more than us :)

The volunteers are usually ex police and advanced drivers so know their stuff, so don't be put off by that.

From your example, you're explaining IMO the main difference between male and female drivers and risk taking. Roundabouts are the prime example where males (usually) will approach and join while still moving, taking a risk, whereas female (not all, these are just anecdotal after all) are more likely to come to a stop before joining, minimising theirs.

Final bit; a good driver is only one that recognises they're a bad driver. There are actually no good drivers, you're easily distracted, unable to watch everything, and operating a deadly weapon that just happens to move you around, no matter how good you are. How often have you yourself gone on 'cruise control' while driving?

It's the same with the first step on the path to wisdom is knowing you know nothing. So just by posting you're halfway there :)

Thanks - That has made me think I should perhaps focus on eliminating / blocking out distractions instead - hard to do with a baby and two toddlers mind!

Thanks - That has made me think I should perhaps focus on eliminating / blocking out distractions instead - hard to do with a baby and two toddlers mind!
Problem solved

Don't be so harsh on yourself. You can only control what you are doing.

But that's part of the point, no? You can and should control what you are doing and how much risk you are entering in to.

I nearly got sideswiped the other morning by a T5 that simply didn't see me. I noted him and floored it (we were doing 100km/h at the time) and thankfully I was already much of the way past. It was grey, but light, and I'm driving a white car with lights on and it was only reasonably bad visibility... they had not looked and I was in the blind spot.
Then there was the 5-series a couple of months back that accelerated hard up the inside only for me to nearly pull into the side of him - I'd looked behind earlier and noted there was essentially zero traffic. Suddenly, there they were...
I consider myself an attentive and considerate driver, but also know I can get better and I will never see everything. I'm always looking at least two cars ahead, trying to be smooth - and that, for me, is a key driver here: smooth requires anticipation and you can't get that if you're constantly in a hurry and too close to the guy in front. Space goes a long way. You're also easing back into a horrendous set of traffic circumstances rather than taking a Grab everywhere - it will take some time before you know the ins and outs and are truly comfortable on the road again. You won't see all the cyclists hurtling downhill, but you can try to spot at least the ones with lights. You won't see all the boy racers but you can try to judge accurately speeds, which will take some practice.

I would suggest practicing blocking out the kids in your mind and leaving them to themselves / your partner. I'd suggest that when you - or your patner - is behind the wheel, their job is chauffeur: nothing else, nothing more. Everything else falls to the other one.

If you really want the advanced driving experience, make your way up here either this winter or next. That should test your skills nicely :)

- Bret

I cannot recommend the Institute of Advanced Motorists enough. If you don't want to go along to one of their groups to be assessed and trained by the volunteers, which I heartily advise, they do now, via IAM Roadsmart, offer training on a commercial basis.
I passed my driving test in 1966 at the age of 19 after being a biker from being 16. I attended an IAM course within six months of obtaining my car licence and have never been involved in a collision, or even a 'near miss', such as others have described, throughout well over a million miles of driving.
I worked as a driving instructor when I was in my 30s and 40s, and later for Drive and Survive, a branch of the IAM which trains business car drivers, and have been my local IAM branch's 'Driver of the Year' twice, and topped the qualifying heats in my region to give me entry to the National final, which I didn't attend due to hospitalisation. A pity as the prize was a new car!
The IAM's method cannot be beaten if anyone seriously wishes to be a thoroughly competent driver.
Any family time lost by reason of learning how to transport them in a relaxed and confident manner will be worth the sacrifice.

Last edited:
My experience with the IAM training was fifteen years ago.

The training was organised every Sunday morning with a different volunteer each time. Each session covered at least a two hour drive on different types of road. I would not be put off by the term volunteer. They were all highly experienced and worked to the same standards.

For me it was an extremely positive experience and worthwhile. However it was very time-consuming and I attended for many months! I'm glad I did it as it had a profound effect on my driving and general self-confidence.

Since then, another factor that influenced my driving in a positive way was using cruise control.

Good luck whatever route you decide on.

Safe driving!

Hilary

Thanks all for your input. I've written an email to the Exeter area coordinator for IAM - Apparently an advanced course (with as many sessions as I need to be test ready) plus test is 149 quid if all done within 12 months.

I'm asking my work to see if I can get the cost paid for as it's actually in my contract to complete such a course - although now they're saying they may not require this after all - and therefore won't pay if so.

I did my first advanced driving course just under 40 years ago with follow up refresher courses. I would highly recommend IAM tuition and advice. ?

This article may be useful

I came across it while investigating if IAM or similar gave insurance discounts which over some years might offset the cost of IAM fee. The conclusion of the article is it's just 1%. Seems discounts are more applicable to younger Pass Plus drivers. Incidently, the IAM do a Drivers Assessment course, which costs £49 which is more about feedback rather than training.

Article also mentions courses run by the AA and RoSPA.

My local authority (Hampshire) offers driving assessments to over 60s, at around £45. You get an hour with a qualified instructor, and a report on areas of strength and improvement required at the end. I did one last year, good value.
Obviously, no improvements needed for me. (Well, except for a few mistakes the instructor made in his assessment).
Mac.

For work I need to drive so every so often I have to go on a course, it’s not an official IAM course however done by IAM people and to the IAM standard.

There are loads of practical tips and it’s always good to keep your skills refreshed however you could just do some refresher lessons with a driving instructor and that would also do the trick. The guy that I did the work one with recommended that I go on the official course and my driving would pass easily. It felt like an upsell but the only reason I haven’t is that it didn’t take much off the cost of insurance (about £10) which is really the only reason for me to do it.

I’ll stick to my free work ones but do it if it appeases the boss and makes you feel more confident.

Last edited:
Having been a biker ( motocross Trials Enduro before 16 years old ), ridden road bikes and raced . I found that having a bike made you a "better" car driver. I have seen done EFADS , " blue light" training, HGV1 etc etc etc. Have all the licences including tracked vehicle.

Did a couple of afternoon as a watcher on the IAM stuff.... wasn't THAT impressed.

Get a CBT course from a local bike instructor and that WILL improve your road usage and make you think a lot more about cars and how they will hurt you. Once you have done your CBT you don't need to get a motorbike , its just a great way to improve your own knowledge and driving ability

Back